It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:34 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Back in the game! Project "Monster"
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:27 pm 

I swear I'm gonna fly to tissue next weekend and get this car started for u on the same weekend lol
You gotta finish this car man
This has taken way to long Hehe
Your motor will seize by the time it's all ready to start

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:31 am 

Help is always welcome :wink: if we hadn't have had this selector issue I dare say the car would be running but we blew a lot of hours stuffing about with it. Once that is sorted it's 99% done as far as I can sort it anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:39 am 

Tassie_mk1 wrote:
Help is always welcome :wink: if we hadn't have had this selector issue I dare say the car would be running but we blew a lot of hours stuffing about with it. Once that is sorted it's 99% done as far as I can sort it anyway.

Can't wait to see if finally running Hehe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:59 am 

GTIIII wrote:
Can't wait to see if finally running Hehe

Same! Hopefully sooner rather than later!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:43 pm 

So having spent multiple hours swearing, praying & begging the selector to come out, dropping the car on all 4's to try and rock it out etc etc etc etc. I will have to remove the box for the millionth time amd i will send it to a driveline place to have them properly remove and refit the Swift Sport selector for me and then maybe, just maybe it can be refitted and i can move forward.
But as i am about to put my house on the market and move who knows when this will all happen. Fingers crossed it is sooner rather than later. :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:35 pm 

Gearbox back out and off to the mechanic to have things put right...

Attachments:
20161117_153848.jpg
20161117_153848.jpg [ 1.89 MiB | Viewed 80 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:30 pm 

Well it's been a month but I've finally picked up the gearbox. Unfortunately (as seems to be the norm with this build) the simple fix turned out to be a little more than I expected and the box now has a fresh set of bearings and a few other things done but should work a treat now.

At this stage I'll be hitting the garage Monday morning to get cracking on it and try and have the car running again before Friday. All things going well that shouldn't be hard, but we'll see how that works in reality :P

Also I noticed this thread had its 50,000th "view" yesterday which amazes me as I've only done about 49,998 of them! :wink: hopefully I'll have some good progress to report to all you stalkers soon! :P

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:04 pm 

Will be a great xmas pressy to yourself when you get it going :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:19 pm 

StinkyWizzleteats wrote:
Will be a great xmas pressy to yourself when you get it going :D

Yeah that is what i am aiming for, the cost of the fix means i am a little shorter than i had planned for other work but all things going well it can be running before Christmas at least.

I got a new oil return line for the turbo today but looks like i got the wrong size fitting for the turbo so i will have to find the right one for the turbo end of the hose to make it work well. Spent an hour or so grinding down the one i had (ebay special) but no luck

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:18 pm 

Well today was productive, not quite as much as i was hoping but productive. Buzz snuck into the shed before i had a chance to get there and got the box on the engine, i bolted it all back together and got the driveline 99% sorted. I ran short of time to get more done as things like lining up the rear engine mount are a tricky process when you are running poly mounts and on your own.

I am still waiting on the oil return for the turbo as the workshop i left it at has been slack, but it will be done tomorrow i have been told.

One thing i did notice was putting the passenger side driveshaft in it hasn't locked into the box at all which isn't promising. When i get back to it later i might have to check the spare shaft fits better as i am not sure it will hold.

Hopefully between Christmas and New Year I can get another day on it and get it running again.

I will have to chase up a small bush for the shifter setup as it has gone walk about...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:32 pm 

Good progress, but definitely don't leave the driveshaft like that.
Pull it and fit a new c clip or it will cause havok.

Ask me how I know...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:21 pm 

Tassie_mk1 wrote:
I ran short of time to get more done as things like lining up the rear engine mount are a tricky process when you are running poly mounts and on your own.

I know the feeling all too well :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:23 pm 

AWDmoke wrote:
Good progress, but definitely don't leave the driveshaft like that.
Pull it and fit a new c clip or it will cause havok.

Ask me how I know...

Aha! I knew it was something simple like that! Now to try and find one :P hopefully a driveline shop will have one that suits hanging about.

Also i finally got the oil drain for the turbo back today...so much for the 6 hour turn around, but hey its back, lets hope it does the trick and the turbo cam drain to its hearts content :)

StinkyWizzleteats wrote:
Tassie_mk1 wrote:
I ran short of time to get more done as things like lining up the rear engine mount are a tricky process when you are running poly mounts and on your own.

I know the feeling all too well :lol:

To anyone reading this thinking we are poor at our work...walk out to your gti amd remove the bolt for the rear engine mount with the whole engine bolted together... we'll see you in a week :wink:

This is likely my last post before Christmas so to all my stalkers have a great one! I will hopefully have time to get one more day in the shed before New Year hits so it is hopefully not my last post for the year... but we'll see how the shed fairy looks after me for that one :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:04 pm 

So i never got that extra day in the shed beofre New Year. But i did manage a trip to spend my Chritmas vouchers. For sound guys this won't seem that special, as its not, but for me it will round out my system nicely :) now to find the time to get back to the shed before i am back at work!

Attachments:
1483243409931-608320398.jpg
1483243409931-608320398.jpg [ 1.9 MiB | Viewed 42 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:31 pm 

So this happened today...

Attachment:
received_10154764043645479.jpeg
received_10154764043645479.jpeg [ 81.05 KiB | Viewed 42 times ]

While it wasn't under its own steam the car is now a roller! Driveline is completely in and only needs the small inner part of the shifter cable that goes on the selector (how i lost this i have no idea!) And then i can refit the battery and wiring as well as the vac lines and a few other tiny things and it'll be a runner!

Attachment:
received_10154763770845479.jpeg
received_10154763770845479.jpeg [ 269.59 KiB | Viewed 41 times ]

Attachment:
received_10155715753418574.jpeg
received_10155715753418574.jpeg [ 79.4 KiB | Viewed 43 times ]

Attachment:
received_10154764043695479.jpeg
received_10154764043695479.jpeg [ 193.42 KiB | Viewed 42 times ]

I am not sure when i will next get to things but the car has had a good wash and came out of the shed for the first ti e since November 2014! :shock: it has been a crazy time so far and who knows what will happen next? At this stage i am hopeful i can have all the work i can do done by the end of Feb amd then see what happens from there as i will need a good bit of cash to get the next list of jobs done.

The jobs to pay for:
:arrow: Adjust drivers side end of frint crossmember to clear dump pipe
:arrow: Suspension setup properly
:arrow: full once over from a qualified and experienced race mechanic
:arrow: (if once over is all clear) Tune - goal is 200fwkw on 98 fuel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:22 am 

Good to see it out of the garage, can't wait to see this thing fired up.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:51 am 

Thanks mate, hopefully it will be turn key soon and then it's just a matter of nothing breaking and getting the $ to complete the list so I can go racing :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:33 pm 

So after seeing "answer"'s post about engineering I thought it best to call up the bloke who was supposed to come around ages ago and to start the formal check off of my car. Unfortunately now the Tassie rules have all changed and despite me still having 6 weeks left of approval in principle I have to start the mod plate process again!

So once the car is running again I have to take it to his workshop and have them give it a once over, from there they will advise what needs doing and the process starts from there! #-o

I'm hoping to get into the shed sometime this week and get her running then I'll need to sort the $ to get the to the engineer and pay him too. Not sure when I'll have that spare but I'll try sooner rather than later!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:16 pm 

So i had a small bit of spare time last night so i fixed a cracked fuel hose i found and refitted the carbon canister and vac lines. Mostly i spent my time trying to DIY a fix for the missing part on my Swift Sport shifter setup...

Attachment:
received_10154802153655479.jpeg
received_10154802153655479.jpeg [ 185.32 KiB | Viewed 42 times ]

I have someone chasing a replacement part for me as i have no idea where it went! I tried rounding down a suspension bush to fit but even with the wonder of cable ties no luck.

So i moved to my sticker collection to have a work through of what i will use on the outside of the car... no pics yet as i will work out the final mock up once the car is able to move itself from the shed and i can see how they all look in daylight at the same time.

Once i have the shifter setup sorted there is very little left to have it running :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:28 pm 

aaaaaaand look what's in the mail! Big thanks to Bwtichd for the hook up!

Attachment:
shifter part.jpg
shifter part.jpg [ 26.8 KiB | Viewed 1383 times ]

Now to wait on the postman and see what I can get done in the mean time while I wait for this crucial part - it's always the funny little obscure item that stops the process! Well that or not having $, time or expertise :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next