It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:09 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 558 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
 Post subject: Re: Back in the game! Project "Monster"
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:22 am 

I have been pretty busy of late doing all kinds of things, but not many related to my car. But I have been organising a few parts for it, the first of which arrived Friday...

Attachment:
31076452_10156146627970479_4939677075796656128_n.jpg
31076452_10156146627970479_4939677075796656128_n.jpg [ 413.9 KiB | Viewed 51 times ]

This is a swivelling oil drain for the turbo which will, hopefully, mean I can route a decent, and not kinked, drain back to the sump and stop the turbo filling with oil. I was hoping to get some oil hose with it but they were out of stock so I will sort that when I get a chance to get to a parts store.

I've also got another pump coming for the washer bottle to hopefully sort my cooler spray setup and just am just sporting the freight details for a part I've been chasing for years and never been fast enough to snag... I'll leave those details a surprise until it is in my hot little hands but I'm pumped to have found one and to have it headed my way!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:43 am 

Small update again here after a few annoying hours working on the car. After receiving all the parts I had been waiting on I got onto fitting up the swivelling oil drain which fitted up nicely and gave me a angle I needed to not kink the return line but... it was so long it nearly touched the exhaust pipe and came well under the return on the sump :x

I "trimmed" it with the angle grinder to see if it would fit but no luck there either as it was still too long and caused the line to dip lower than the return point once again... it is maybe 5mm too low so I am wondering if I can get away with than, knowing there will be a small amount of oil still in the line but that mostly it will flow into the sump once it clears that dip - or am I totally off? I want to get this 100% right before I go any further as I do not want to kill off another turbo due to a lack of drainage.

On the up side I fitted up a replacement pump for the rear washer/intercooler water spray setup have and that works a treat. I haven't bothered to put up any photo's of the setup as it won't be set in place until the front bar goes back on as I plan on fixing the spray nozzle in the front bar (out of sight) to sit neatly and securely in front of the cooler.

So some progress once again but some frustration also. I'll keep trying to get out to the shed and get little cheap jobs done for now and I have a few parts that I'm arranging for it. but major progress is still held up by needing bigger $ than my budget allows at this stage. Oneday it'll get there :P

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:46 am 

You can get pumps that will pump the return back to the sump if you need too. Luke burkill had one on one of his setups, I remember seeing it on facebook

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:31 am 

Yes I have seen those but that adds more $ and complications to the setup which I would like to avoid if possible.

At present it seems the world does not want me to finish this project as it seems any time I have a few $ for it something happens that needs sorting :evil: which is doing my head in.

with my busy season about to start at work this will again take a back seat (well even more so) until i can have some spare time to keep tinkering with things... So the Saga continues lol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:41 am 

waylow wrote:
You can get pumps that will pump the return back to the sump if you need too. Luke burkill had one on one of his setups, I remember seeing it on facebook

Where have you been hiding? Its been a while. Welcome back.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:34 pm 

pictureshowman wrote:
waylow wrote:

Where have you been hiding? Its been a while. Welcome back.

I don't hide :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:27 pm 

He hasn't been hiding just sitting there quietly watching everything waiting for something worth commenting on :P

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:51 pm 

Wow 7 months between posts is longer than I expected! After getting screwed by buyers on parts I special ordered for them I was left without cash for any work on the car and then tax season hit again which (if you've been following a while) you know rules me out for a fair while.

Having survived all of that nothing much else has happened on the build. I've been feeling pretty flat about the whole build as I still have no idea when I'll have any real money to work on this, and my best efforts seem to fall flat or work well enough to cover surprise household bills and not car parts. #-o

One thing I did have happen in all the time since my last post though was I ticked up 5 years with work and they like to give a gift voucher for $100 to the shop of your choice. So I gladly said "I'll take an Autobarn one thanks" and one of the things it was used on was an Armourall pack. So over the weekend I put it to use...

Looking back over my posts the last time I washed it was almost exactly a year ago! Can you tell?

Attachment:
Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg [ 117.06 KiB | Viewed 215 times ]

Attachment:
Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg [ 3.24 MiB | Viewed 3 times ]

Attachment:
Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg [ 2.35 MiB | Viewed 3 times ]

While scrubbing away a years worth of neglect and mess from kids playing around the car I also found the lovely purple pencil "graphics' that had been installed by my 3yo on the painwork! :shock:

Luckily a good soak with the washing fluid mix and a gentle rub with the cleaning cloth and it came right off without marking the paint! The end result, 2 hours later, was this...

Attachment:
Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg [ 3.94 MiB | Viewed 3 times ]

Attachment:
Webp.net-resizeimage (5).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (5).jpg [ 3.09 MiB | Viewed 3 times ]

Attachment:
Webp.net-resizeimage (6).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (6).jpg [ 3.36 MiB | Viewed 3 times ]

Still looks great... one day It'll run as well as it looks!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:52 pm 

Oh I also noticed you all must be loving on my build... or reading how now to do things... as it's had almost 90,000 views since the last wash this time last year! :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:14 pm 

Ah man, shame on those "buyers"!! Money up front next time? Or at least 50%.

Nothing a good wash cannot fix, it lifts the mood somewhat even when one has very little $$ to buy car parts. (I know how you feel!)

Life sentence block too, you do like a challenge!
As always, keep in there, it will be so much sweeter when it's going.

Lots of lurkers on here...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:21 pm 

Yeah it was good to give it some TLC. The interior needs a good steam clean but that can be for another day.

I think the block is a winner, just for now it'll take money to get going and get it where we want it. In the long run we'll be laughing I think... the way the local market has been these past 12 months it's already up about 15% without us doing anything :P

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:43 pm 

im still here tassie and still watching. nice clean up job...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:00 am 

Thanks man! I must say I'm oe of your build's stalkers too!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:29 am 

yep, im slowly watching too. but the alternate for me paint has dried!

GTP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:52 am 

:lol: Fair call. It's been far too long for me!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:32 am 

Never fear, I dont even know if mine runs...4 more weeks though...4 more weeks!

GTP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:00 am 

Ah well for 4 weeks I'll be ahead of you as I know mine runs :P good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:50 am 

Mine goes, but will not be for long as the radiator leaks. So in some cases Tassie, you are winning! Keep up the good spirits mate, it will all come together in the end. (Warm fussies!)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 558 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28