It is currently Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:21 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Puss-on-Boost's MK1 K-Swap (Swift GTK)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:08 pm 

Time for a quick update.

After Jamboree the diff was feeling a little tight so I decided to get the diff locked (welded). While the engine bay was empty I got to some finishing work - paint all the engine mounts and paint over all the primer left over from the fab work as well as a few other odds and ends that needed attention.

I got the gearbox back last Friday and worked a late night on Saturday to get the car ready for some track time today (Sunday). Besides the diff, I've also removed the rear sway bar, raised the front 10-15mm and tightened up the front and rear shocks. What a difference! The car felt like it used to with the n/a g13b.....but faster! The lap times showed this aswell. In the n/a g13b days I got around QRs clubman track in 1:08.6, with the K20 with an open diff the best I managed was 1:08.5 and today's best (K20 with locked diff) was 1:04.7. It should go quicker with more time.....the car is more capable than the driver at this stage!! :lol: I'm definitely looking forward to getting out on the sprint circuit soon to improve on my g13b lap time (1:03.2)

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.51 MiB | Viewed 104 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:39 am 

Looking good mate.. Keen to see some track footage of it

Rasputin wrote:
Yes. I like hard parking faggots and want to be one. It's my dream
Thanks,
Dan.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:55 am 

southy wrote:
Looking good mate.. Keen to see some track footage of it

Forgot to take my gopro......might be heading out again in a couple of weeks. Will make sure I take it then.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:52 am 

Have been getting a little track time in of late. Improved my clubman track (Queensland raceway) to a 1:03.3 and sprint track 1:01.9 (even with messing up a corner and hitting a little traffic!!)

http://youtu.be/PVUKSBbnMdk

Today was also the final round of the Street Sprint series, I thought I had to get lucky to be in with a shot......I was! The guys with more points than me didn't enter and the margin was close enough that I was awarded enough points to win the series for 2014

Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.08 MiB | Viewed 84 times ]

Also managed to pop my on-two-wheels-ginity......I was sure I felt a landing.....going back over the video I screen shot this...

Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 563.86 KiB | Viewed 89 times ]

Funny part is that the GT86 behind me must have been too busy watching me and I could see him spin out in my mirror.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:08 pm 

good effort Ben,

Good to see some reward from your conversion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:02 pm 

For anyone interested I put the car on some corner scales last night. The car weighs 776kg (no driver) and has a F/R weight distribution of 64/36%
Attachment:
File comment: On the scales
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.2 MiB | Viewed 75 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Scales
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.15 MiB | Viewed 70 times ]

Also had my last track day for the year today, with some near new ao48 tyres I improved my QR Sprint track time from 1:01.9 to 1:00.3!

They then changed to the National configuration (first time for me) where I lapped in 1:27.2

The configuration changed again to Sportsman track (first time again and it started raining) I got around that track in 1:07.2 I only got one session before a storm rolled in and the remaining day (including clubman track) was cancelled....I'm sure with more seat time the times will still get quicker. I'm looking forward to breaking the minute barrier on sprint track and soon heading back to lakeside.

Attachment:
File comment: Last track day of 2014
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.35 MiB | Viewed 77 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:55 pm 

Doesn't a mk1 from factory with full interior weigh 680-750kg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:02 pm 

cappa-wpn wrote:

Mk1 is 730 kg But add another 30-40kg for the k20 setup to the front, hence the bad weight distribution.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:07 pm 

750kg for an sa413, correct. Bear in mind a factory car doesn't have bigger brakes/driveshafts or a roll cage. I also still have all glass (with winders) and full steel throughout the car.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:08 pm 

1600GTI wrote:
cappa-wpn wrote:

Mk1 is 730 kg But add another 30-40kg for the k20 setup to the front, hence the bad weight distribution.

The weight distribution is actually pretty good.....go check out Zuboos thread :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:31 pm 

in europe the sa413 GTi is original 770kg

what makes that 20kg difference?

now mine weights with a full tank, two seats and the steal roll cage 760...

i expectet lot more weight gain for this honda swap. lucky you =D>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:38 pm 

M.T.S. wrote:
in europe the sa413 GTi is original 770kg

what makes that 20kg difference?

Hard to say with out getting them side by side.....perhaps more metal work for a higher crash standard?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:06 pm 

Time for a short update.

I've recently made a few changes that have had some pretty impressive (combined ) results. Firstly I've switched from 13" wheels to 15" (in fact the wheels are the wheels I bought the car with back in 2002). I've also decided to try out yokohamas a050 tyres as I've heard it handles heat cycles better than the a048 I was using previously. Next up I'm now using a set of PFC race pads in the front and finally I've fitted a set of DMWDaves new lower control arm and upright set ups (to suit the mk1) - similar to Zuboos.

The results? Well the car feel a thousand times better and the effect on lap times looks VERY impressive. Last Sunday I ran on the Clubman circuit at Queensland Raceway (my previous best there was 1:03.3), where I was able to turn in some pretty consistent lap times with my new best lap time being 1:01.8!! Next on the list is a band new set of a050's and see what can be refined.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 146.14 KiB | Viewed 70 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:39 pm 

That's a great improvement! These Lower Control Arms are sounding like a winner! Keep up the good work! So what is next on your list to improve the car?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:21 pm 

welcome to the 15" round :D there are plenty of serious tyres available on the market semis or slics!

what is the difference to the original lower control arm? do you have some pics?

are there still available? maybe me and 2 mk1 friends of mine would be interesstet for a group buy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:02 pm 

I'm thinking of heading to the next general practice and trying a wider front track, different shock settings and maybe even put the rear sway bar back on and play around with that a little. All I know is I'd rather muck around with these things on the current tyres as I'm planning to buy the new set before Japnats at the end of May and wouldn't want to damage them just for the sake of experimentation!

Unfortunately the control arms aren't my R&D so I'm unable to post any pictures on here at this time. I can say that it corrects the roll centre and fixes the bump steer. The trouble is that you would need to have custom driveshafts as I have with the larger spline on the outer CV (like the mk2/3). Once again sorry I can't go in to details, DMWDave has done the hard yards with this set up so details are to come out at his discretion.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:58 am 

I understand about the driveshafts, just after seeing the imrpoved times for both and Zuboo I'm hanging out to see what Dave has come up with as no one else has been able to get these improvements from what I've seen.

Keen to see how your improvements go, I think the car, with some tweaks to setup, can get under 1 minute around that track without adding any HP. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:39 am 

Tassie_mk1 wrote:
Keen to see how your improvements go, I think the car, with some tweaks to setup, can get under 1 minute around that track without adding any HP. :)

I'd like to think so too......but the next 1.5 seconds will be a lot harder than the last 1.5 seconds that's for sure! I've been looking over the gopro video from Sunday and there is some time to be made up through my driving here and there by the looks of things, and around 0.5 in brand new tyres (I'm told) but I will definitely reach somewhat of a wall before too long I'm sure. The blue starlet in the photo has front splitter, big rear wing, slicks and about 80hp more than I have and he has run a best of 1:00.3. Yet you look at Zuboo running no aero, slicks and many horsepowers and I think his best clubman time is 58.2

One of my biggest potential improvements I think will be if I can get some camber on the rear end then run an aggressive rear sway bar.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:04 am 

Puss-on-Boost wrote:
Tassie_mk1 wrote:

I'd like to think so too......but the next 1.5 seconds will be a lot harder than the last 1.5 seconds that's for sure! I've been looking over the gopro video from Sunday and there is some time to be made up through my driving here and there by the looks of things, and around 0.5 in brand new tyres (I'm told) but I will definitely reach somewhat of a wall before too long I'm sure. The blue starlet in the photo has front splitter, big rear wing, slicks and about 80hp more than I have and he has run a best of 1:00.3. Yet you look at Zuboo running no aero, slicks and many horsepowers and I think his best clubman time is 58.2

One of my biggest potential improvements I think will be if I can get some camber on the rear end then run an aggressive rear sway bar.

I think you are right but I would think your car has some weight advantage over the starlet, the weight of Zuboo's car is super low. Will you go full plexan etc to get some more weight out of it?

I'll be interested to see how fast it can get around there without any added HP. But even more so with some extra horses to try and chase down Zuboo and some aero to make things really interesting :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:09 pm 

One of the series that runs up here doesn't allow perspex or cutting away the structures for light weight. At least for the class I qualify for currently. If I went ahead and did that I'd be i na class that I simply wouldn't be competitive in

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next