White Mk3 GTi

Post the details of your Suzuki build progress
CPC

Thought I'd take the time to post up one of my more recent purchases, and to contribute to the forum. I acquired this 1995 GTi in a very neglected state. The previous young owner hadn't had it long and for a whole bunch of reasons she couldn't drive it any more. She didn't know what it was and didn't care. I made her a silly offer, which she took. I knew I'd be able to get my money back if it turned out to be a lemon.

I'd always had a thing for the GTi's but never owned one. Most of my cars are V8 or AWD. I'm interested to see what I can do with this little thing. I intend to do basic mods to make it a mildly fun street car. Maybe I'll get motivated to do a turbo conversion if I think it's a good platform, but I doubt it. I'll have lots of questions to get me started so please bare with me.

Here it is now. I've just put it all back together. Pretty much everything was stripped from the shell (except motor and box) and replaced or refurbed. Sorry for the crap pics as it sits in the garage.
Exterior 1.jpg
Exterior 2.jpg
Rear quarters and rear bar will need some paint. I'll get around to that.

Here's an interior shot.
Interior.jpg
Here's the mods I can recall doing:

BC Racing BR RA Type coilers
Super Pro bushings - every bush replaced. Competition durometer used where available.
New rack ends, tie rod ends etc.
Came with a Whiteline front strut brace

Brembo ceramic pads
Custom 'J-hook' rotors
Stainless braided brake lines

Momo 'Race' wheel in 330mm from memory
Custom WC Latheworks shifter knob with extension

And all the other usual stuff - new driveshafts, filters, oils, fluids, gaskets. The shifter had been cut and shut which is why I went with an extension. I deleted the air con. It has a Suzi Tech instrument facia plate lol. I removed about 100kg of audio gear out of it and found a stock Suzuki head unit. I also ended up repairing about a kilometre of wiring that had been butchered with audio upgrades over the years. I have some 15" Wedssport Professors to replace the white 16" wheels it's currently wearing. Just need to decide on a tyre size and type.

Any and all comments welcome. I'll have a hundred questions in my next post.
saczel

Nice score and it has the same steering wheel as mine. I have recently upgraded my tyres to 195/50r15 yokohama advan neova’s and with stock height and castor it drives like i wanted, not too harsh and really sticks to the road. I just have to see how long they last. On my wheels 38 offset i can’t add any castor so 35’ish in 6.5J should clear the inside with most settings. Try and upgrade the rear toe bars as well.
gtpswift

I like a white GTi. Nice looking car.
GTP
CPC

saczel wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:32 am I have recently upgraded my tyres to 195/50r15 yokohama advan neova’s

Try and upgrade the rear toe bars as well.
Thanks. The AD08R is high on my list. The rear toe arms seem very flimsy but I can't find readily available aftermarket options. Suggestions?

I'd like to know where people are setting ride heights on these things. Also alignment settings. I'm not particularly worried about tyre wear. I'd like to use the pillow ball strut tops for caster (although I'm painfully aware it's non-power steering) and set camber at the clevis/hub. Are aftermarket camber bolts available for these cars? What toe settings do these like?

Cheers.
saczel

I personally like zero toe front with a bit less than 1 degree negative camber just so it gets moving better from the start and 1mm toe in on rear each wheel keeps it from wandering too much on the highway. Standard height rears King extra heavy duty, and front coilovers Eibach 350lb adjusted to match. The rear toe bars i originally got from suzitech had rose joints but wore to excess sloppyness in no time so i bought some urethane rubbers from fulcrum and got a mate with a metal shop to turn down some steam pipe and tig some threads i got made to the pipe and they are working great. Compared to the stock bars they are overkill and the rear behaves great now. In my opinion stock height is low enough but previous efforts at lowering further just made it annoying as a daily driver.
gtpswift

This is too low! But looks great!
IMG_20190622_103620.jpg
35-40 mm lowered is about right, Decent dampers and circa 280-300 Lbs fronts and about double rears is a good road spec spring...as long as the dampers can control it (koni not KYB/Monroe)
I like 1-2mm total toe out at the front zero toe at the rear. 2.5 negative camber front 1.5 rear ( I have adjusted rear tops). I use semis for tyres to good effect. Tramlines like a pig!

GTP
X93

Congratulations on the purchase and thumbs up on the repairs.
Take 1 - Red 93' Mk3 XBE273
Take 2 - White 91' Mk2 AAR53Y
Take 3 - Black 95' GTi
saczel

A plug for the boss.
Attachments
B7D996C4-31FB-4C5D-A25F-A5FF9F02A687.jpeg