It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:33 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 796 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: Our little cultus racer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:59 am 

I'm sure it will be fine. Can't wait to see that little beauty back and ready to rock! You have spent so much time on that, it's amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:39 am 

I have heard it going on the dyno....it sounds very very mean....a real throaty roar...like a Mighty Mouse. I still don't know any results but I'm glad it A. Goes....which means I wired it ok.
And B. I have heard it at full song and it sounds totally awesome.

So let's hope the day ends well and I can report the dynapak figures....get ready to hit the track.

Stress level gone from $hitting bricks to letting off wind. Lol. :shock: well.....once bitten twice shy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:57 am 

Almost done!

Last edited by swift12 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:14 pm 

Guys....it's done. All except for cold start check which Chris will do in a couple of hours.

The results.

1. Chris said all wiring and operation was perfect
2. There were no issues in the tune except the throttle must run in open loop as closed loop it chases itself at idle probably due to the cams
3. Blip works but I might need to tweak at track.
4. He said I did a great job.....he said please bring me more cars like this!(I'm proud of myself!) :lol:
5. Ok ok.....all that crap....but you are saying "what's the figures!"

With a word of caution from Chris re different dynos producing different results and with my car only ever having been run on dynapak.

Before link extreme. 124 hp at the wheels
86ft lbs torque.

As of today........139 hp at the wheels....101 ft lbs torque.
I'm speechless. And very happy.

We are not using the MAP sensor for the mapping due to the cams....he does not have enough vacuum. Probably due to the cams. Do we are using the electronic TB using its TPS for mapping. The MAP sensor is being used however to adjust the map for barometric pressure changes do it's an automatic adjustment of the map when at places like Taupo! So we just go drive it anywhere and the map is adjusted accordingly. Obviously I found the right person to tune our car.

Chris said that's at 25 degrees of timing .....he can push it to 30 degrees and 141 hp but even though it's not knocking it's right on the knock threshold at that point. He said I'm very safe at 139 hp on 98 fuel. I did ask for an engine that will survive and he said he will only put a car out the door that is safely away from detonation except for drag cars.

Take my money Chris Wall and prestige tuning of petone. This is my place of tuning from now on. Very professional setup.

Can't wait to head to the track.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:17 pm 

And the result is?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:41 am 

As of today........139 hp at the wheels....101 ft lbs torque!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:51 am 

Congratulations That’s a great result
With close ratio gearbox this will be a little weapon
You must be looking forward to some track time after all the hard work
Best wishes for some fun times

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:39 pm 

Thanks JasStv! Yes we are looking forward to track time.

Couple of other things.
Chris said I had the calibration slightly out on the VSS....out by 30kmph. Not bad for a guess.
The oil pressure calibration was out....in my favour! Low oil pressure hot idle 46psi. Not track hot though. On a run....65 to 70 psi. Last hot run he did the oil pressure peaked at 68 psi.
The water temp ran between 80 and 90.

The engine won't fire until oil pressure is sensed. At 100 degrees water temp the engine won't rev past 3000 rpm and the rad fan comes on. Below 35 psi the engine won't rev past 3000 rpm and runs on a sliding scale....below a certain oil pressure for rpm the engine will stop. If the oil pressure sensor fails it defaults to 100 psi so the engine can run as I have a light and a gauge.
The throttle blip won't happen below 40 kmph.
Chris has set the shift light to 8000 rpm...he said no point going to 8300....just reving for no reason....in the dyno graph it pulls hard from 4800 to 7800

Here is a photo of the dyno run....sorry about the crap pic...I'll do better tomorrow. The bright patch is 139.6 hp at max.

Here are pics of today's effort to fit the fire suppression system. Rightly or wrongly it's important to me....fire Sucks....hope it's never needed. Supposed to run with the pin out on the manual fire button....bugger that...some twat will push the button...the driver will get a shower! 8-[

Attachments:
IMG_5760.JPG
IMG_5760.JPG [ 683.84 KiB | Not viewed yet ]
IMG_5759.JPG
IMG_5759.JPG [ 688.96 KiB | Not viewed yet ]
IMG_5758.JPG
IMG_5758.JPG [ 680.2 KiB | Viewed 1 time ]
IMG_5757.JPG
IMG_5757.JPG [ 682.71 KiB | Viewed 5 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:03 pm 

That's a great result. I guess some of the difference will have to be variation between dynos but you'll soon see when it hits the track. If anything the difference on the track should be even greater. Theory would say that the sequential ecu shouldn't make much difference in peak power but it'll make more mid-range and make the car easier to drive. Given you've found 16hp at peak then I'd expect you won't recognize it as the same car to drive.

Just goes to show that the ecu should really be the first engine mod rather than the last as it so often is. Imagine what you'd need to spend to get another 16hp from mechanical changes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:11 pm 

Thanks Sam. Yes Chris did make the point that different dynos can produce different results and I'm sure you are right....it may be more powerful than before or some of the gains may have been dyno. Certainly the car was not dynoed the first time with the dog box as well.

But yes I agree....the ECU mod may have produced a much gruntier and more driveable car. The sequential stuff was definately done to help low end running....also the injectors had to be peak and hold or expensive ballasts would have been needed.

I'm thinking torque may have been improved by the ignition map removing all that dizzy and timing scatter. I'm really quite chuffed with the power band as I believe if driven correctly 8-[ [-X (there's the next challenge) we could sit in that band all the time on track and not need to thrash it to higher than 8 k. :P

Yes the butt dyno WILL be interesting!

No more engine work for now....maybe extractors later. But if we want to improve lap times the easiest and cheapest way will cost $1500.....slicks. Boom. 2 seconds. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:16 am 

Yes, moving the reference to the crank will have certainly helped stability but again it shouldn't make any difference at peak. I guess though potentially the TB might be helping. The COP coils and the peak and hold injector drives will probably also contribute to a better result at peak.

I'm guessing the idle and stability is much improved?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:51 am 

Yes certainly seems to idle evenly....quite a high idle but totally expected....he said cams are the reason....so it's around 1200 to 1300 ish. TB in open loop....or it chases itself....not driven by MAP sensor......driven by TPS for the main maps as not enough vacumn and cams are the reason there too. So highish idle but smooth....doesn't run on when shutting down....(maybe the TB closes fully?) and cold starting not completely sure as yet. When I run it I want to warm it right up....I don't like running engines cold them leaving them for weeks.
Chris said take a log of cold start and warm up....send it to him. He will look at it and log into my machine and tweak it from home....awesome support.he set that up but of course it was hard to get the car fullly cold after only 1.5 hours. So if it stalls or is reluctant to start or run fully cold he will tweak what's necessary.
He even said at any race meet he can log into my ECU to check the logs (on every start and run above 2000 rpm it's automatic ) to see things are ok and tweak. After sales support. Gotta love that. I wouldn't abuse that of course...I assume it's not a continual thing but more of a early stages of running the new tune thing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:55 am 

Great result! I have heard good things about Prestige Tuning, I follow their Bookface page and they do some awesome work.
Now, to the track!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:15 pm 

Thanks Michael. Yes I can confirm the good things you have heard about prestige tuning. I looked around and put the feelers out a while back asking people that were actually interested in our little project without all the comments on not enough cubic inches or not being a Honda.

Prestige responded with a long history of tuning LLAMA engineering G13b in an offroader and that they are an awesome little engine. Chris remembered my email saying "please don't tell me I should have bought a Honda" and commented that's a bum steer. Any project no matter what it is shouldn't be belittled. I'd have no hesitation in recommending him....our car will be tuned by him from this point in. :D

Yes....now to the track!

When I'm home from Buenois Aries I'll finish the gearshift gate which is nearly done....charge the fire system....and buy two helmets. Early dec.....be on the track soon. I'll have the go pro going!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:48 am 

Can anyone measure their track and tell me if it's square?

I'm modding my trailer to make it easier to tie the car on. Because I'm running integra wheels with spacers and the front has two spacers due to the brake setup my front track is a little less than the rear. I knew about karts but I don't know about cars....comments?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:03 am 

I haven't got my manual here but Id suggest like most road cars sub supercar that wider at the front is most common.Id say 25mm wider at front standard!
GTP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:01 am 

Yes I might have to address that....I’m looking for a better set of wheels I can use that are light weight but not 50 offset like the integra wheels. Then I can ditch the spacers and run a better track.

But finding good light volk wheels is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I’m running 7 mm spacers behind the front disc hat and 8mm ones outside. In the rear it’s 16mm spacers.
I’d love to get rid of them for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:08 pm 

I'm 30mm wider in the front with 38 offset wheels and 5mm behind the rotors.

My wheels are one set of Advan and one set of Compomotive all 15". I have a pair of Rays te37's, lovely light wheels but don't clear the Wilwood calipers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:03 pm 

What size are the te37 and would you sell them Sam?
And Sam can you tell he your track outside of wheel to outside of wheel on the rear?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:00 am 

The rear track outside to outside is 1542mm.

To measure it I used a set of Enkei Sport rims that I'm not currently using and don't have any rubber fitted. They're 6 1/2 x 15 with a 45mm offset. The thing that might affect that number a bit is that since we're packing to move I didn't get to last weekends event so haven't bothered getting an alignment done since I fitted the tarmac suspension. Given it's running more negative in the rear it's likely to be toed out slightly and that measurement was taken from the rear.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 796 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next