It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:35 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Re: 92 GT Daily Driver
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:47 pm 

I can't take credit. Freak2demon mentioned the k-sports. I didn't look too closely at his pm of what the k-sport design but was interested in reducing weight, and doing away with the mechanical cable without losing the e-brake and parking brake capabilities. Freak2demon had also had showed me what he was thinking of for calipers and rotors. However, I didn't like the caliper and rotor selection for what I wanted and I found the above Dyanpro Narrows. After I found those calipers I started digging into the hyrdaulic e-brake and came back to what he had already mentioned.

I still have to check the fitment of the k-sport e-brake in the stock position and verify it is truly inline. The Dynapro calipers are almost three pounds lighter being all aluminum instead of mixed steel and aluminum of the combination parking brake caliper. The price for the calipers is almost the same, but there is the $270 plus the lines fitting and other materials plus time. I'm thinking flange the stock lines mid way back and run a short flex jumper over and back to the centeral e brake, and then use the stock solid line back and use my aftermarket BF Goodridge flex lines to the calipers. I would like the stock parking brake cover to fit over, but I won't know until I buy them.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:31 am 

Like everything when your trying to make something work you can miss a small detail. The Narrow Dynapro Radial Mount calipers 120-14091 (-BK if you wanted it black powder coated) show that they can take an 11" rotor in the schematics page, but then the outer page lists the minimum rotor size as 11.75". One more thing to call Wilwood about. I did see an alternate for the calipers which is the Dynapro Lug Mount Low Profile calipers 120-12160. This will reduce the brake pad size which in my opinion is good for the rear caliper to 5.1 square inches and reduce the weight by .4 more pounds from the Narrow caliper above. It is a 5.25" lug mount which may simplify the bracket design further shaving weight and it is significantly cheaper especially if you don't want it powder coated. I'll check the dimension for the rear today and compare both caliper offsets to make sure they will work.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:12 pm 

Unfortunately the Dynapro Lug Mount Low Profile caliper will not fit on the rear. Going from the 0.39" stock rotor to a 0.81 will cause interference issues that simply won't work no matter which way I adjust it. However, the Narrow Radial Mount Dynapro calipers appear to be able to fit. I will have to redesign the bracket, but it should fit. I did run into a slight snag with the hat beyond what I mentioned above about the inside hub diameter. The offset of the hat I want to go with is 0.77" compared to the stock hat offset of 0.646", and I'm increasing in rotor width from 0.39" to 0.81". These two things will bring the clearance between the backside of the rotor and the hub mount to 0.183". This is not enough room to get a bolt head in between. I thought about studs, but I need to be able to turn the bolt. I did find ARP 3/8-24 x 1.25" UHL (723-1250) low clearance bolts that reduce the head height from .39" to .30". I need a minimum of 0.38" between to be within the 0.08 tolerance. My solution is to lathe the thickness of the hat 0.30" from the bottom end. This should allow me to get a lock washer under the head. It should also give me enough outside edge clearance still. The 1.92" outward bound distance from edge of rotor on front calipers clear with 0.39" (10mm) wheel spacers. The back I'm running only 5 mm spacers, but the outward bound distance is only 1.67". The difference between the two is 0.25". That would leave a 0.5" negative clearance difference. However there is a offset difference between 0.77" and 0.73" (difference of 0.04"), plus the face difference between 0.32" and 0.25" (difference of 0.07") which totals to 0.11" - the 0.5" = positive 0.06". Effectively the offset of the hat will go to .047", yet the with the 0.32 face the hat will still be 0.79" thick for the six bolts to mount the rotor to. The bracket will be on the other side of the stock hub mount.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:05 am 

A little bit of an update. Wilwood Brakes said they don't recommend the Dynapro Narrow Radial Mount calipers on a 11" rotors. They said possibly a brake pad overlap issue and not an interference issue. Not a lot of information from them when I mentioned that the Dynapro Radial Mount calipers use the same brake pad configuration. The tech guy said ultimately if you can make them work great. He did recommend the Dynapro Radial Mount with one of their proportioning valves. I don't really want to go that way. Additionally, I'm not thrilled about trying the Narrows and then having to send them back. I did see a photo posted from Teamswift where the whole mount was designed and not just the bracket. Today I will see what is possible there and go back to looking at the Dynapro Low Profile Lug Mounts which are a heck of a deal for the price.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 2:15 pm 

Front bracket:

There were some issues with this first set of brackets. Part of the problem was the quick conversion from metric to standard. It did throw some of the measurements off. I ran into two clearance issues: one was the center of the hub, and the other was the bottom relief is not quite deep enough. The first clearance issue was solved by a couple quick passes on grind wheel, the second one however is not as easy. I need an additional 5/64" removed from the bottom of the inset. I thought I had accounted for this additional tolerance, but who knows at this point. I also have to shim the top studs more than I want to. I have already entered the new measurements into the program to solve any issue that came up. Additionally, I am also going to lighten the bracket in the center. For now I will make these ones work until I can get the next ones cut.

Notes on cut: Before I forget I wanted to document the conversion to CAM and Gcode process. The top cut you will need to extend out to get a square cut beyond the edge of the bracket. I have already converted to standard, but anyone having these made will want to ask ahead of time for what the machinist wants. Very helpful to give your machinist a 3D drawing print out with all the measurements on it. Make sure you write down the drill bit size for tapping to 3/8-16 and 12x1.25. It is also helpful to have all your start corners be the same corner. To make the bracket you will only need the front and the top dxf files.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:55 pm 

The front brackets went back to machinist to fix clearance issue. I took apart the rear brake mount and made some detailed drawings which was easy since I could lay the part down on graph paper and trace it. This part should be easy to make sense I can pick up 6 mm just by having a straight bracket. There is plenty of clearance to work in both directions. If I start with one inch thick stock of aluminum the clearance I need should be easy to get, and I get to make the bracket smaller (shorter).

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:34 am 

be great to see the finished product
=D>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:52 am 

Finished front images:

I will have to eventually sand and clear the wheels.

The good news is I can shim this one millimeter in. This will add to my clearance overall which is right at the limit of .08. I could not find a good source for a 12 mm shim washer. I'm thinking I will take my 3/8 washer and drill the inside out to 12 mm. What the pictures don't show too well is that it is only the very outer edge where the clearance is tight. Everything is free rotating with absolutely no rubbing. I'll take another look after shimming the bracket 1 mm. I could also put a 1 mm shim spacer on top of the wheel spacer to bring the wheel out 1 mm. I wasn't really trying to show the calipers off in this fashion, but I could not have put them out there literally any closer.

I did not actually hook up the brake lines since I still need to get the data for the stopping distance on the stock setup. Side note the Dynapro design is freaking awesome as far as brake pad install. No more fighting to get out and in a brake pad. There is also nine different coefficient grades of pads for these calipers. I have on the street grade BP-10 Smart Pad.

I have the rear brake mount design underway also to fit the Dynapro Low Profile Lug mount calipers which was the better caliper for what I wanted and supports a 11" rotor. I am having to learn a little bit more about Freecad to sketch and extrude a sketch. Despite what I said above the rear mount will be slightly longer, but a wider spread. However, it will be lighter by probably a pound or two since it will be aluminum.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:14 pm 

I called K-sport today for their dual piston hydraulic hand brake. It is indeed inline which means that it will work with our front left, rear right and front right, rear left setup. However, the unit is quite expensive and on top of that the line installation kit is over $100 for each side. Additionally, it can not be used horizontally, and there is no emergency brake lock. Parking would rely on leaving it in gear. I don't believe there is room to leave both parking brake and hydraulic brake. The good is that the unit does not use separate reservoir, and the piston are 3/4 which will mean that they can lock the rears with more clamping force than the stock master cylinder even if the stock emergency brake was hydraulic. I did also get the in and out threads for unit. In is 7/16-20 UNF, and out is 3/8-24 UNC. What I will try to find is the right fitting to slip on hard steel lines. There is no advantage and no need to having a flex line where I want to connect it. This should save me at least $100.

I'm half way done with the Freecad file for the rear mount: