It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:20 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Swift GTi Tarmac Rally Car
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:27 am 

Good to know that it won't be wasted effort.

My LCA's are complete and sitting on the shelf with my tarmac suspension, still have gravel suspension fitted to the car at the moment. All I still have to do is make something to adapt my brake calipers.

Yes, I have a spare crank. I don't want to sell it but I'm happy to give it you on the basis that you replace it when you find one. I'll send you a PM with my contact details.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:36 am 

Thanks Sam! I have sent you a pm. I have a couple of leads but nothing solid yet.
I'll get in touch after the weekend as a mate us looking at a whole engine for me that's been offered to him. 8-[

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:34 am 

Fired up the rally car for the first time since Christmas last night and there was an immediate strong smell of avgas. A quick look at the lines and one of the bulkhead fittings going through the firewall was squirting a little geyser of avgas onto the floor of the car. The fitting was a swivel 90 deg type as pictured.
Attachment:
IMG_4412.JPG
IMG_4412.JPG [ 1.1 MiB | Viewed 106 times ]

This is the second one that's failed on me in recent months. I suspect that something is the avgas buggers the seal where it moves and once it dries out from not being run for a while then it leaks. Don't really want a repeat so both fuel line and return fittings have been replaced with fixed 90 deg fittings.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:10 am 

Hi Sam that leaking fitting is odd. AFAIK most AN fittings don’t run secondary seals behind the nut, the taper alone should provide a positive seal.

Is there any signs of corrosion on the tapered faces? Also are the fittings being used the same brand??

Not that it matters now with you changing them, but it’s a weird problem.

Rasputin wrote:
Yes. I like hard parking faggots and want to be one. It's my dream
Thanks,
Dan.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:37 pm 

Hi Southy,

Both fittings were the same. They're Torques UK 90 deg swivel seal fittings. There's no physical sign of anything wrong with them. No corrosion, no damage.

Both have leaked at the swivel. Looking at the red end at the bottom of the above picture the fuel was squirting out the vent hole visible on the right side. The taper joints were fine but I'm guessing there must be a seal of some sort in the swivel? The hose fitting doesn't tighten the swivel so I'm guessing it can't just be a taper. I guess I could cut one of them in half and take a look.

With braided internal lines, having these things squirting fuel into the cockpit isn't very reassuring. Both have failed in exactly the same way, no leaks when the car is parked up but a month later they leak as soon as the pump goes on.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:38 pm 

The vent hole you are referring to is a retaining pin the keep the nut in situ when tightening.
If it is leaking from there it means the sealing method in front of the nut whether it be compression olive or tapered face isn’t seated properly.

Personally having a secondary seal behind the nut is a silly idea, I can only refer to speedflow for this but there is no seal behind the nut in their fittings, they only rely on the taper or compression olive.

Out of curiosity what’s the rest of the red end look like? And what type of fitting are you going to?

Rasputin wrote:
Yes. I like hard parking faggots and want to be one. It's my dream
Thanks,
Dan.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:30 pm 

Here's a picture showing the bottom of the fitting :
Attachment:
IMG_4413.JPG
IMG_4413.JPG [ 1.48 MiB | Viewed 89 times ]

It was leaking from the top of the swivel. The compression joint to the hose was fine and doesn't seem to tighten the swivel in anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:03 am 

Have you checked the fuel line inner as I have had some let go after deterioration so now I have got rid of the braid which only hides the problem underneath.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:53 am 

The fuel line inner looked good. I've replaced the straight bulkhead and 90deg swivel fittings with a 90 deg bulkhead fitting and straight barb type hose end and that's sealed fine.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:41 pm 

I've been working on some maintenance and upgrades to my road going GTi for the last few months and it's pretty much complete now. Here's a quick summary of what's been done:

Suspension:

Koni sport inserts and rears.
Whiteline caster kit.
Whiteline camber kit.
King springs ( were already in the car ).
Replaced most bushes and repainted the a arms.

Brakes:

New Swift calipers with new rotors and pads.
Hel lines all round.
New rear pads.

Engine:
Kelford 216/344 cams and new followers.
Timing belt.
Cultus tb, pod filter and alloy intake pipe.
New cam and cam cover seals and a repaint for the cam cover.

Exhaust:
4 into 1 extractor.
New 2" mandrel bent system.

The only fail was the ecu. I wanted to chip that with a GP A chip but the exchange unit sent by gtaye wouldn't run. Gave a "check engine" light but wouldn't give an error code. It's currently back on the stock ecu with a little more static advance. Currently waiting on gtaye to send me another chip so I'll look at that again once I have the chip.

Here's a quick clip of it going through the gears: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15n0w9RURvo

You can really notice that gap between first and second and hear it fall off the cam. You can also hear it hit the limiter in 2nd and it's not subtle, pretty much stops it dead. In case anyone is wondering, there's a remote mic clipped to the hatch above the exhaust hence the exhaust note. The only downside is once the speed picks up the wind buffet destroys the GTi sound track.

What's next? I have on old hybrid CR box that fixes the first/second gap so I'm currently rebuilding that and will install it with the Suzuki Sport LSD that's currently in my rally car.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:12 pm 

sounds great sam...nice work!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:31 pm 

A fine collection of small frame boxes all refreshed and ready for action with new bearings and seals :
Attachment:
IMG_4486.JPG
IMG_4486.JPG [ 1.83 MiB | Viewed 51 times ]

The first one is a SQS dog box with new bearings, seals and a rebuilt gripper. The second is a hybrid CR box with a Suzuki Sport slippery, 4.4 FD and also with new bearings and seals. The last one is a standard GTi box with a Suzuki Sport slippery.

The dog box goes straight back in the car. I might install the hybrid box in my road car or maybe the standard box if it's too buzzy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:15 pm 

nice job sam...keep you running for a while!...how was the dog box gears for condition?
just interested as the Kalamar stuff Im running is SQS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:24 am 

The gear set is in excellent order, no visible or measurable wear. It's been in the car about 5 years but I'm guessing it hasn't done that many km's in that time. I've only done sprints and hill climbs and looking at it's UK history the events are quite short and not that many of them. I suspect if you lined up for a proper rally here with a 200km of special stage then that would be more than it's done in it's life.

The one thing that did need attention was the gripper. It had about 10 nm of preload when removed and it came back from the factory set at 120. It'll be interesting to see what it feels like to drive now.

The CS shims are interesting. I needed about half the shim with new bearings than it had previously been running. I'm guessing that it's one of those things that will have to be checked on a regular basis. Even if the bearings aren't replace it's likely the shims will need adjusting a couple of times a season to look after the gear set.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:47 am 

My shim was the same as the cs shaft that came out compared to the dog shaft that went it.
I put the box together...with the cs shaft in....torqued the case halves together....fitted the rear bearing plate and torqued it down....then measured the up and down play by moving the CS shaft up and down....then I added 3.5 thou. Fitted a shim...retorqued the plate down....then checked for drag.....the shaft would spin but stop 1/2 a revolution later....the gearbox shop I used for the bearings etc said that would be perfect.

I guess they take what they take from box to box....it was the up and down play I had in the input shaft I did not like. I had to put a shim behind the big rear bearing to reduce the endfloat to less than 15thou. Kalamar told me to do this. I was a bit worried it would spin and get eaten up but gearbox guy said it wouldn't. The difference was in the input shaft length compared to original.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:40 am 

I guess there's a few differences with the input shaft. At least with the SQS kit it runs a different outer bearing to the oem kit. I didn't realise it when I bought my bearing kits but when I went to fit the new bearing it was quite different. The outer shaft diameter is a bigger than an oem kit which is quite good as it also takes a common bearing. On the oem kits sourcing the outer input shaft bearing was the only problem one where a NSK was required as SKF didn't have an equivalent.

For me the input shaft was a perfect fit with no float and the CS just need one 0.6 shim where previously it had about twice that. I would expect that as the tappered bearings on the CS wear that I'd need to adjust the shims. I also did a trial fit torquing the case bolts and the end plate but it didn't make any difference over seating the bearing as per the book.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:27 am 

That's really strange....the Kalamar and sqs dog boxes are one and the same....yet mine uses all OEM bearings (obviously except the needle rollers)....so I'm unsure what that is about Sam.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:05 pm 

From memory the oem input shaft size was 20mm and the SQS shaft was 25mm. So 25x62x17 which is a real common bearing so I good idea I reckon. Maybe Kalamar and SQS aren't quite one and the same.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:44 pm 

Both the sqs and kalamar parts start with the letters KM....quite a coincidence...I'm not sure what's going on there.....it is a mark two box?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:16 pm 

Parts lists....one from drivesport....kalamar and one from sqs.
Some parts may have an a or b at the end but I think you will find that's just the gear ratio.

Attachments:
IMG_5205.JPG
IMG_5205.JPG [ 477.85 KiB | Viewed 54 times ]
IMG_5204.JPG
IMG_5204.JPG [ 376.74 KiB | Viewed 48 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next