It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:39 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 741 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: Our little cultus racer
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:57 pm 

yes adam or simon said from Link that the sync could bounce all over the place and it won't matter at all....its not something that has to be super accurate it just has to tell the ECU where it is approximately in the cycle...(not telling you how to suck eggs as i know you already know this stuff)

What was interesting to me and Im glad I asked is that Simon said if I have put my SYNC at TDC ....which i was very careful to do...lol.... 8-[ that I must not have the missing tooth on the trigger wheel in the same spot...or at least the CAS pointing to the lost tooth at that time. I did not know that at all....he said turn the CAS away from that point so that they don't happen together...so I have turned it 90 degrees.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:07 pm 

I guess that makes sense when you think about it. If the sync is bouncing around on the end of a rubber belt then sometimes it might be before the ref missing tooth and sometimes after. Not hard to see why that wouldn't work so well.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:54 pm 

i think thats why we set the "offset" in the ECU? makes sense...tell the ECU where the CAS is.

so today i opened the bonnet of the race car after not doing much for a while....(stupid grass)
and all this fell out....what have I got myself into.... 8-[ :shock:

BTW...it weighs 6.5 kg!

Attachments:
IMG_4889.JPG
IMG_4889.JPG [ 450.57 KiB | Viewed 35 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:49 pm 

I suspect it'll have two offsets that you'll need to configure. One tells it where TDC is in relation to the missing tooth, the other is the position of the sync in relation to the cylinder firing.

I guess rewiring might save some weight but the best thing is having a new neat and tidy wiring loom. There's nothing worse than heaps of messy wiring with most of it no longer required.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:49 pm 

Yep that is definately the main point. Lot less clutter under the dash and in the engine bay. Not going to hide the ECU in the corner where I can't get at it.

Only have to keep the alternator wires, and the main feed to the starter...plus the brake lights and rain light. Plus wipers. And fan for air on windscreen.

Radiator fan will have a relay and be controlled by the ECU. All other engine functions have outputs from the ECU.

Some of those wires in the loom from the engine bay are hard and brittle.

Looking forward to setting it all up.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:42 am 

quiet here lately...but I have amassed the necessary parts for the project.

Ill start the job soon as I have other stuff to do meantime...but with the rain comes shed time...so ill post progress soon.

going to be a fair amount of work by the looks of it!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:10 pm 

Bit of progress today. Trigger wheel attached to pulley. Starting the coil on plug mod. 54mm Bosch electronic throttle body fitted to manifold.

For those interested. The missing tooth is in line with the pulley key. I have to balance the lot. The CAS is 90 degrees ATDC. I have been told by the link support people that putting the time that the ECU senses the missing tooth 90 degrees or so away from TDC ensures the ECU gets a good signal. I asked how that would make a difference....it's because high compression 4 cylinder motors slow down especially around TDC and a slightly flat battery won't help that....this can cause the engine to not start. At 90 degrees away....all Pistons are mid bore and at a better speed for the ECU....I didn't know that... 8-[

Attachments:
IMG_5128.JPG
IMG_5128.JPG [ 467.1 KiB | Viewed 53 times ]
IMG_5129.JPG
IMG_5129.JPG [ 689.69 KiB | Viewed 33 times ]
IMG_5130.JPG
IMG_5130.JPG [ 484.24 KiB | Viewed 31 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:50 am 

Looking good.

Does that mean the crank is coming out for balancing or wait and see?

I see the new intake pipe has one ancillary air connection, what are you going to use that for? Are you going to run any form of ISC? I'm guessing you'll mount the iat somewhere in the intake pipe?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:47 pm 

whoa sam!...crank not coming out!!!lol.... :shock: Im just going to balance the pulley setup so that is is EXACTLY what it was before fitting the trigger wheel. it takes 1 gram to balance the keyway offset at the outside of the pulley wheel which is two grams at the keyway itself....so I will balance the whole shebang so that it takes 1 gram at the keyway position to balance it....i think that will cut it.

the new intake pipe has three connections...one is a welded in opening for a MAF sensor...I will make a mount for that to fit my IAT sensor. The other two will be removed and blocked. Its an eBay cheapie off a honduh.

No idle air control...all done by the throttle body as far as i understand! 8-[

Here is the an old head and cover that I'm mocking the COP setup on. I have a plate which has spacers under it at 6.8mm which allows me to run a rubber seal under the plate...this is the old plug leads butchered to remove the rubber bit that fits in the head. the cop fits nicely through this once I have trimmed them. this will keep the area below the plate nice and clean. then the cop mountings have a bolt that will come up through them with a spacer below....Yes I need longer bolts....the spacers are threaded with 6x1. So tomorrow it might be already to fit...

Attachments:
IMG_4918.JPG
IMG_4918.JPG [ 239.04 KiB | Viewed 33 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:25 pm 

I guess given the ecu controls the throttle body then in theory there's no need for any extra air source. It'll be interesting to see if that's the case.

You're COP setup looks good. That's effectively all I did. I made spacers to go under the plate at the bolt points and used the boots from the old leads to seal around the COP.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:38 pm 

yeah the tuner said make the TB quick around the low power /idle setting and slow it down from around 30% up. just because he thought i was going to run a 60mm TB. But with the 54mm TB that wont be so much of an issue.

here is some info from Link.

"The ISC system regulates the engine idle speed by adjusting the amount of air which is by-passed around the throttle. Idle speed control can be achieved using either a solenoid valve (two or three wire), a stepper motor actuated valve (four terminal or six terminal) or Electronic Throttle Control."

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:59 pm 

the mock up is almost complete. Just a few minor bits to tackle...then it can go on the engine in the car.

Attachments:
IMG_4930.JPG
IMG_4930.JPG [ 386.35 KiB | Viewed 36 times ]
IMG_4929.JPG
IMG_4929.JPG [ 291.26 KiB | Viewed 33 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:26 pm 

*sigh*

I'd like some of those......

One day...

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:57 pm 

Michael....tell your wife they are for safety....boom....she will insist you get some.
The ECU cost a lot though....about $12000. Because it cost me a trip to Switzerland for the world masters archery games. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:35 pm 

Hey guys any ideas on a remote reservoir for the brake master cylinder?
I have enough room to mount the manifold with the DBW throttle body....but when I put it back together....(the master cylinder) after rebuilding it I did not adequately protect the plastic while putting the reservoir back on and I have the white marks in the bottom of the reservoir from "stress". I'd hate to have the lad driving the car and the bloody thing lose all its fluid. This is the gti master cylinder and not the larger vitara one.....reason is....brakes suck. Need more pressure so it's either the 13/16 gti cylinder or back to a booster.

Please don't suggest wilwood pedal box with multi pot calipers etc.....you know I hate spending money on the car...... 8-[

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:04 am 

Something like this : https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/brake-master-cylinders-reservoirs/a-p-racing-universal-fluid-reservoir-with-twin-outlets

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:12 am 

I need the bits that go into the master cylinder...or I guess I could turn something up

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:42 am 

Unfortunately I don't have one that's not installed in a car to have a close look at. I'm guessing the two inlets aren't threaded? So what stops you tapping some thread in and using standard AN brake hose fittings?

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:22 am 

Nice build, ever thought of going with the 1600 block?

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:57 pm 

Thanks! No I hadn't. Im pretty happy with the way the motor is running right now.

Today I fixed a leaking gearbox seal. and a leak in the water pump area. The bolts used were ever so slightly long on the water pump...I wonder where i got those bolts from? anyway...all cleaned up and the correct bolts inserted.

I finished the coil on plug setup today...the paint was not hard enough before I put it together :roll: me being impatient.
so I lost a bit of paint....anyway...its there and not coming off now.

Attachments:
IMG_4936.JPG
IMG_4936.JPG [ 451.7 KiB | Viewed 31 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 741 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 38  Next