It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:50 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: 1989 Swift GTi, hayabusa engine, RWD
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:32 am 

Hi all, I’ve been lurking for a while now so thought I would share my build - possibly not to everyone’s taste! I wanted to do something different and out there, which is exactly how it ended up.

It’s an 89 swift gti, I bought an old shell without an engine here in NZ and things kind of escalated from there... I fabricated everything in a little two car garage, including my first (painful) attempts at creating a mould for a fibreglass bonnet.
It uses Subaru GC8 wrx suspension front and rear (sacrilege I know!) , and is now running as a RWD rallycar using the Subaru rear diff. Engine is from a 1999 Suzuki Hayabusa, with a few updates (ECU etc.), and I have dry sumped it also. Hindsight being a wonderful thing, there are a number of things I would’ve done differently, but it is awesome fun to drive, so no regrets!

I have a page dedicated to the build at http://www.facebook.com/hayabusaswiftgti and I've just put up a video from its first proper drive.

I’ve used a lot of the resources from this site, so thanks everyone! Awesome to see all the builds also.

Eddie

Attachments:
IMG_1065.JPG
IMG_1065.JPG [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 2 times ]
IMG_0841.JPG
IMG_0841.JPG [ 1.22 MiB | Viewed 2 times ]
IMG_0865.JPG
IMG_0865.JPG [ 1.09 MiB | Viewed 4 times ]
IMG_0853.JPG
IMG_0853.JPG [ 1.04 MiB | Viewed 3 times ]
IMG_0850.JPG
IMG_0850.JPG [ 1.36 MiB | Viewed 2 times ]

Post subject: Re: 1989 Swift GTi, hayabusa engine, RWD
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:56 pm 

I looked at doing one but keeping it fwd.

The amount of issues with chain stretch was what pushed me away. But it looks like you did the rear drive converter.

One of my mates installed a turboed one in a rail and is still the fastest busa motored anything in the country even with all these extreme bikes on the scene. But it keeped smashing the dogs and then the broken parts getting stuck between the gears and the case cracking the housing which also turned me away.

Keep us posted i would love to throw a suzuki motor back in the swift and the busa makes crazy power.

Attachment:
1557586_10152175560191180_513867823_n.jpg
1557586_10152175560191180_513867823_n.jpg [ 130.5 KiB | Viewed 1 time ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:09 pm 

I just watched your video

Awesome little machine

Did you use a starter motor for reverse gear

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:48 pm 

I used a reverse box to get reverse so have avoided using any chains - there is basically a driveshaft from the motorbike gearbox output (via a custom flange and cv joints) back to the reverse box, then a second driveshaft from the reverse box back to the diff.

That rail looks like a fun bit of kit! I'm keeping things fairly conservative, the engine is pretty much bone stock. Depending on how things go there are some good upgrade options in terms of billet clutch baskets, uprated gearsets etc. There are a couple of fairly successful rallycars over here with Hayabusa engines, that are also reliable now too, so there is a good knowledge base to call on.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:04 pm 

What a great piece of engineering.

Why rwd? Looks like you're intending to run it as a rally car so do you reckon it will handle better rwd than it would have fwd? I guess fwd reversers/diffs are a fairly expensive option.

Did you deliberately look for the older motor to stay 1300cc or was it a case of what was available? I thought the newer motor was a significant improvement in gearbox reliability when used for repowers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:58 am 

Yep stayed 1300 to stay in A-class over here - to be honest buying the engine was also a bit of a fluke: I put a bid on an auction for a complete bike that was quite low, but which ended up winning! So here we are...

I went RWD because I find them a wee bit more fun to drive - that said, the FWD swifts are still competitive, and obviously handle really well. Still feel a bit funny about modifying what are now quite rare cars. I used the subaru mechanicals as they are strong (especially for this relatively low amount of power) and readily available, while the SF413 parts are starting to become tricky to get, especially the likes of diffs and gearbox internals.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:52 pm 

Nice work, was this a mk2 cultus originally or are the rear lights etc a later mod?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:39 pm 

The lights were on the shell when I bought it - to be honest I wasn’t aware they were non-standard, are they cultus rather than swift?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:24 pm 

That is one impressive build!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:07 pm 

Is this the same car?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFUT0Df1NNU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:20 pm 

Haha yep that’s me! That was the first time it moved under its own power, seems a while ago now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:47 am 

Druid dave
Those lights were standard on NZ new GTi's
Love the sound that those busa's make

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:17 am 

Eddie fantastic car , well done.
I would be interested in learning more about your build and what you would have done differently looking back after the fact .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:41 pm 

In terms of what I would do differently, for the most part it is just design choices that I made. The big one would be to retain the Swift front end entirely, and just make new knuckles/drive flanges to suit the subaru stud pattern and track width. Reason being, at the moment the engine is hard down on to the steering rack, and is higher than I would like.

If I had kept the Swift front end, given that the standard steering rack sits on the firewall, the engine could've been dropped a lot lower, which helps with driveshaft angles and overall weight distribution. I may yet address all this...

Also, I fabricated a fuel tank, it sits at the back of the car, between the chassis rails and behind the diff. Ideally this would still be in the middle of the car, but packaging was a bit of on issue because of the driveshaft effectively going through the middle of the tank. Again, it might be something that I address moving forward - making a new tank that sits roughly where the original sat is nothing too complex.