It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:23 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Our little cultus racer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:55 pm 

Hello from Canada. Stumbled across your discussion tonight and amazingly it is very much the same story i have going on here.
Bought into a mk2 swift with a friend how i have been racing open wheel cars with for years. This car came available in our area and we thought it would be good to get back on track and have our kids learn to drive/race in the car.
The car is a professional built race care from a shop here in Canada and needs a total going over as it has sat for approx 4 yrs.
So far i have assembled the motor with the parts that came with the car and am now looking for transmission parts as I have disassembled it on the weekend and realized the final drive gears are non usable,missing teeth.
I am new to Suzuki and need to learn a lot so finding your story is fantastic.I will keep reading and learning.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:09 pm 

No worries mate. A lot of what I have learned has been from picking the eyes out of all the info on redline and team swift. Even the geo metro forum was helpful. A lot of the excellent information I have was from talking to those that have done this but may not frequent the forums.
The rest I am learning the hard way. Take the forum for what it is and pick the eyes out of it...see who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't.
I just pick a path and a few times I have had to change direction etc. I don't even know yet if all our changes are going to work well yet. But I will update after the first outing since the winters work. I'm happy to write everything warts and all....wether I'm right or wrong and if it helps others then that's great.

These are things I am happy with.
1. Stuck with NA.
2. What I did with the engine
3. The brakes
4. The exhaust
5. The wrapping
6. Most of the suspension changes
7. Rear sway bar
8. Urethane everything.

Would possibly change.
1. 1600 box. Sequential shifter, close ratio gears, LSD. It would be a couple more grand than I've already spent as I can do all the work myself and I'd probably have a far superior box. But I'll see how the box goes that I have in it now first.
2. Possibly go for the Koni shocks custom built....definitely coil over at rear. The rear springs are a pain in the ass.
3. Get better looking a even lighter wheels.
4. The lexan windows look great....but scratch easily. Get better lexan with scratch proof coating.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:58 pm 

Here is a you tube of it running. Nice burble from the exhaust.
https://youtu.be/HdsroCN2vqY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:03 pm 

Sounds awesome! Must be a great feeling to have it running......

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:12 pm 

thanks Howsie.
I have just fitted a new walbro pump into the tank...it took a few mods to fit even though the kit was for the car...rrrgh.
however...the last pump was maxed at 35psi...dirty fuel came out the in side of the filter so one wonders wether that was all that needed replacement...however I had the pump so in it went. a quick max pressure check yielded a rapid climb and 2 secs after the pump was started the ignition was turned off...the pump went up to 70 psi and didn't look like it was going to stop there.
so tomorrow...fit the FPR on the return line...test the max flow in the injectors....and back to the dyno.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:50 pm 

ok...good and bad. first the gearbox is still causing grief. Still a sticky synchro...but not as bad...so going to see if a gentle run on saturday will be a bad idea!!! [-X

The good. Our car likes the fuel!!! So I put a new walbro pump in. a new filter. I had the injectors cleaned and new buckets put in... The injector cleaning yielded about an 8% increase which is what we needed however due to the tiniest lean spots we upped the pressure using the tomei FPR about 1.5 PSI which gave us the best AFR we could expect on a Stock ECU with a group A chip. So the Tomei is not doing much but was needed...slightly....We bought the AFR into the GO! range so that at WOT we are sitting at a great AFR through the entire rev range....except Idle. Its rich at idle...so a high idle is needed...about 1500 RPM. If we tuned anywhere near idle then its lean at the WOT settings. A standalone will solve this but AINT GONNA HAPPEN. [-X in fact...there are a few very slightly lean spots and a few rich spots...the average of these is close to perfect. So much so that we picked up horsepower! now showing 124 HP ATW!!!!...bugger me...the tuner says that probably 149 at the flywheel.

Now to track test...hope the gearbox doesn't s**t itself.... :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:43 pm 

THUMBS UP BOTH OF YOU :o :o :o

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:29 pm 

Madx8734....thats mate! =D>

we have given it a good try. got the boy on the lathe today...needed a plug made...gave virtually no instruction...he made it perfectly....seems the project has done good things. he might act bored a lot but i think he has taken a lot in.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:40 pm 

=D> That combo works nicely!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:20 pm 

Thanks Blake. Great info on the exhaust I reckon! Let's see how the bum dyno likes it...I guess the proof will be on the track....I just have to stop over thinking things and stop trying to find noises! :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:13 pm 

couple of jobs today...better connections to fuel pump. wrap the exhaust manifold...boy it gets HOT! in front of it...total prick of a job in place but now its dropped the heat ten fold. yes its a bit ugly but it seem to be functional....fibreglass....use gloves and mask...overalls....itchy! big clean up afterwards...
Go pro mount so the go pro can be set level.
shot of the fuel pressure regulator.

Attachments:
IMG_4514.JPG
IMG_4514.JPG [ 246.97 KiB | Viewed 16 times ]
IMG_4513.JPG
IMG_4513.JPG [ 346.72 KiB | Viewed 18 times ]
IMG_4512.JPG
IMG_4512.JPG [ 386.17 KiB | Viewed 15 times ]
IMG_4511.JPG
IMG_4511.JPG [ 335.84 KiB | Viewed 15 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:27 pm 

Are those earth straps from the chassis to the gearbox? I thought flexible might be better.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:06 pm 

Oh right I see what you mean...It looks like they are connected to the gearbox but they are not...those are mounts for the accusump. I have left that off for now. Just to the front of those mounts is a very decent heavy earth start that is flexible and it attaches to the chassis and the side of the box just beside the clutch cable mount. The original earth cable was pathetic....probably ok...but very small. 8-[

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:02 am 

What pressure do you run at the Accusump?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:26 am 

Im sorry pressure? the accusump measures your exact engine oil pressure but if you mean the pre charge
it is 7 psi just to give the accusump the ability to empty its contents if you have a low pressure event.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:08 pm 

And that is held in a bladder or is it a piston affair?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:54 pm 

oh its a piston in the accusump. i held 60 psi on the piston side for a week and it went up and down a few PSI with the temperature. then I dropped it to 7...so the unit is well made. held pressure well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:42 pm 

The engine earth needs to be pretty good once the compression goes up. Mine was giving me grief starting and the problem turned out to be the earth. Added a new earth and all was good.

I'd agree with your comments regarding the gearbox, it's probably the weakest part of the car especially if you use it for sprints where the surface isn't flash. The big frame box sounds like the way to go. A little more weight but shouldn't break. Even if you don't buy a CR kit and just use a type 2 swift sport gear set and something like a gripper you should be able to put one together for around 2k buying a used G16 box, used type 2 sport box and new lsd. If you really do want sequential shift then you'll need a dog kit and that will be considerably more.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:13 pm 

well guys...Im pretty pissed off today. Took the car to Taupo....it was quick...in the rain. it ran a bearing. the end.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:19 pm 

Well, the car is only at idle for a small time, the rest is at WOT or similar so a high idle to get perfect AFR @ WOT is an easy sacrifice.

Yes, some teenagers act bored but are usually quite smart, they just don't always act like they are interested, but can surprise you with the results, as shown.

Ah bummer! Taupo was a long way to go, nothing happening at Manfield?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 22  Next