It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:29 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Our little cultus racer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:47 am 

Thank s Sam. I'll take a look at it when I'm home.

Meantime. I'm setting up the cooler etc while the front bumper is off so I know it will all fit when I install it later.
I have fitted the new catch can and larger tube from the rocker cover. Yes looks Blingy but it's all cheap Chinese stuff. Having said that....the catch can is light and really well made!

Attachments:
IMG_4492.JPG
IMG_4492.JPG [ 676.66 KiB | Viewed 4 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:08 pm 

Hmm doesn't look like that catch can will hold 1L???

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:58 am 

It's 80mm by 80mm by 160 mm. Just over 1 litre. But you are right....where the inlet is it will hold less than 1 litre. The heavier smaller blue one the car had before was less than this. But technically....the can is a one litre catch can so I'd argue the capacity meets the regulations. Has a nice drain valve on the bottom as well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:34 pm 

All good, hard to judge the scale from the photo, doesn't look 160mm high.
Have a look at using push lock hose for the breather next time, lighter and easier to work with than braided.

Is it running yet?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:51 pm 

Yes Derek I must admit the braided stuff is not light. No it's not going yet. I'm on call and spending quite a bit of time away. Currently in Canada. It's close to running. 35 jobs to go. Mostly small things to do. Trying hard to get it running while doing a job...running a family and life sentence block isn't easy but hopefully running before Xmas. =D>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:18 am 

Now I hear some 787's have been grounded with engine issues. I guess that means I'm going to be busy on the reliable old triple over the next couple of weeks while on call. Not much time to work on the car. :roll:

I'm going to pre oil the engine using the accumulator so it has full oil pressure from the first time I turn the engine. I'll turn it over on the starter with the plugs out until the oil pump is well and truly primed up. Does anyone have a great way to set the timing on these for the first start? No marks are on the dizzy and what we used to do was bring the points till they just opened by setting the crank on the advance required and moving the dizzy. But this electronic stuff came in after I was finished being a mechanic. I'd aim for 6 degrees before....I think that's what the manual says.

I did mark the pulley for TDC using a DTI by taking the reading of the first stop movement till the first start movement of the needle and dividing by two. Did it a few times....got same result. Was only a few thou from full up to piston moving down. I refit the harmonic balancer pulley at this stage and it was bang on TDC....so I have a good mark.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:08 pm 

I had the dizzy out of my road GTi earlier this week and all I did when I stuck it back in was, jumper the two terminals in the diagnostics plug, turn it over with plugs out, number 1 plug earthed and my timing light connected. Adjusted the timing to 6 degrees and then plugs back in, warmed it up and checked it again with the engine running.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:59 am 

Thanks Sam.
I'll do that

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:32 pm 

fitted the accusump and also repositioned the catch can. fitted the remote oil sender. wanted the accusump on so i could use it as a preoiler.

Attachments:
IMG_4468.JPG
IMG_4468.JPG [ 306.26 KiB | Viewed 1 time ]
IMG_4465.JPG
IMG_4465.JPG [ 480.23 KiB | Viewed 4 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:45 am 

Without contacts in the distributor do I need the small black box on the coil? I believe it's a condenser. It's not the power unit....it's not the noise suppression. It's small, rectangle. One earth lead and one lead hooked into the loom. Ideas? Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:45 pm 

it lives. :D
early days....but it runs....different sounding beast....growly exhaust note....idle is rather lumpy.....needs a bit of time to settle in me thinks....fitting an AFR monitor to check the ....well....AFR.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:11 am 

swift12 wrote:
Without contacts in the distributor do I need the small black box on the coil? I believe it's a condenser. It's not the power unit....it's not the noise suppression. It's small, rectangle. One earth lead and one lead hooked into the loom. Ideas? Cheers

Need photo to see.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:40 am 

Ok I'll get one cheers. It seems to be called the condenser....the engine runs without it....HOWEVER.
I AM STUCK on the ignition timing. I have bridged the monitor....I even just grounded D terminal which is the violet green wire. I have traced it back to the ECU as a good contact to ground. So I know the terminal in the ECU is grounded to go into initial one....but.....the bloody timing mark is all over the place and when I rev it a little I get good advance. It has a group A chip in it....which it was running with before the strip down. :roll:
Yes I tried bridging the black and violet green first....as per my manual. I checked the black to ensure a good earth as well. So I know 100% that the violet green wire is being earthed right to the ECU pin. I'm going out to check the pins on the ECU now.

So I cannot set the base timing. I did it on the starter motor to get it close before the first start...
Any ideas guys

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:49 pm 

My road car is a mk3 so the monitor plug is a six pin plug with one pin empty. If you look at the plug as two rows of three pins then the ones to jumper are the pin directly under the empty pin and the pin next to it on the same row. With my car once earthed the timing signal is perfectly steady.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:07 pm 

Nope mine is a four pin plug. With the correct one earthed it's not. Don't know why. 8-[

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:21 pm 

swift12 wrote:
Ok I'll get one cheers. It seems to be called the condenser....the engine runs without it....HOWEVER.
I AM STUCK on the ignition timing. I have bridged the monitor....I even just grounded D terminal which is the violet green wire. I have traced it back to the ECU as a good contact to ground. So I know the terminal in the ECU is grounded to go into initial one....but.....the bloody timing mark is all over the place and when I rev it a little I get good advance. It has a group A chip in it....which it was running with before the strip down. :roll:
Yes I tried bridging the black and violet green first....as per my manual. I checked the black to ensure a good earth as well. So I know 100% that the violet green wire is being earthed right to the ECU pin. I'm going out to check the pins on the ECU now.

So I cannot set the base timing. I did it on the starter motor to get it close before the first start...
Any ideas guys

Condenser is a capacitor which helps filter noise from the ignition to improve radio reception so not a needed item if no radio.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10