It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:20 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: FS: Roll centre correction uprights?LCA -Gti Group buy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:18 pm 

yup have a look at my build Neil..I don't know which page though...you have to mill the sides down of the new upright to fit it in the GTI strut....plus you have to mill the holes to allow inward movement of the upright on the struts or you will end up with mostly 0 degrees camber....its not as plug and play as you might think...its a lot of decking around....but worth it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:52 pm 

Thanks, I did mill the sides but not the other axis so as you say it doesn't have that motion for camber. Do you use cber bolts or have you ditched those? I was contemplating just adjusting the camber via my camber plates instead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:23 pm 

ok I see why you mean....I definitely milled out the holes in the uprights so i could push the upright at an angle into the strut....thats how you get most of the camber...then fine adjustment using the camera plates...if you dont do this you wont get much camber....my plates are at 40 degrees so when i use the camber plates and move the top of the struts in I get both camber and castor....Mine are most of the way in and I get 2.5 degrees neg....I can get to 3 degrees....thats with the holes milled in the uprights....Like I said unfortunately its not as plug and play as first expected.

Camber bolts SUCK and I would not use them at all....smaller than the normal bolts so you would not get the same clamping force...i have not made the front struts "non adjustable" by locking the struts in place on the uprights....The clamping force is totally enough....never have they moved....

good luck!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:24 am 

Did u mill the side like removing the area highlighted in blue or elongate the holes alone?

Attachments:
Screenshot_20190710_102221.jpg
Screenshot_20190710_102221.jpg [ 316.13 KiB | Viewed 5 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:33 pm 

yep I think i took some off the inside of the top one and milled the hole sideways at the top so the bottom locates and the top and swing in....its quite a bit....if you dont do this you wont get much past .5 degree neg. even with the camber adjusters at the top.....unless you mod your lower control arms and put the ball joint further out. all the while you must consider the play available on the driveshafts as the suspension moves up and down and always make sure nothing is bottoming.....lost of careful measuring.

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2