not an arm and leg

Contact Details:
pm or post here

cheers
buzza9

fOokah wrote:DOG Box or strengthened gearset to suit GTi

Price Range:
not an arm and leg

Those words dont go together... I emailed PPGearsets about a dog engage box just out of interest and they said $9000 and they wanted to do 10 of them...

Best bet about gearsets is PM Dattman
CONVO RACING
fOokah

yer i pm'd PPG also.. they dont make them haha
buzza9

fOokah wrote:yer i pm'd PPG also.. they dont make them haha
They have to custom make them
CONVO RACING
raz.2009

theres a place in melbourne i no longer have the details but they will do a racing gearbox/dogbox fairly affordable($3000) but you need to give them a gearbox its an exchange thing. if i find the details ill post them. This company races mk1 in mel i had the name this old guy down there.
fOokah

That would be good if you could find the contact there

thanks
oMaRCiToh

I am searching for a dog box also, if I find one I will sell my Dattman "close ratio" gears, if you are interested in them PM me.
Bewitched performance lightweight crew
bzchi

If it's for strength and longevity (not custom ratio's) AWD cultus box, or even 1600 box are a better investment I think.
fOokah

You said that the above box mentioned is much better.

Have you had any experience with them?
And is there much work to convert them?
How much stronger is stronger?
I wanna put at least 200kw through the sucker!

What would the gear ratios be like compared to a GTi and or Cino box as the Cino is a real slug of a box IMO.

Thanks
bzchi

Yes I have had experience with both, and they are a shitload stronger, their overall size externally, and internals (gears/diff) are much bigger.

AWD Cultus 1.3 box requires conversion to 2WD (with blanking plate), a custom rear mount (DMW Dave sells them), you need to swap your shifter to cable and also change your flywheel/clutch and drive shafts.

1600 box you need to modify the bellhousing, change flywheel/clutch and driveshafts.

Dave / Zuboo run them for drag application. Have proven to be reliable in the 250-320+ HP (180kW - 235kW) applications. Believe Puss-On-Boost also runs one. I have a 1600 in my current GTi, no problems but the ratio's are longer than i'd like.

AWD 1.3 ratios are pretty close to GTi from memory, 1600 is longer (similar to cino). Dattman / Dave I am sure can give specifics on ratio's.

Even with all the above required items, it comes out cheaper than changing to a set of straight cut / dog engagement gears. Infact, i'd suggest if someone was going to go and get a dog gear set to use the AWD or the 1600 as the base, not the GTi... but the GTi boxes are far more prolific so it might make economic sense to make the set for them.

I know Blitzr was running straight cut gears (1st and 2nd from memory), and they were off the shelf from somewhere like PPG I thought. He may have had them custom made originally though, so not freely available.
fOokah

Interesting!

Have you or anyone managed to blow any 1600/cultus gearboxes?
bzchi

fOokah wrote:Interesting!

I never have, I think Dave/Zuboo may have done a second gear.. that being said.. this is in drag application. If you are blowing an AWD/1600 box in 2wd you are doing pretty well.
Dattman

fOokah wrote:Interesting!

It's pretty much your only option, from memory Dave thinks they are pretty reliable upto about 350hp.

And FYI there is nobody who will make a whole gearset for $3K, thats early nineties prices, it's about 1K per gear these days, 1st & 2nd=2k, 5 gears cost 5K, if you want dog hubs add another couple of grand on top of that.
BRAD

If your looking at the 1600 route, even though some may not like me saying this,

I would look at trying to get a hold of shant and buy the 1600 AWD box he has That used to be mine, Its had all the bell housing work done and has all the mounts that are needed has the shifter cables, driveshafts and everything needed for the conversion,

i would say that all you would need to do is upgrade the clutch, cause i was using a standard 1600 clutch, also the driveshafts would need upgrade,

Cost would be around 1600- 2000 would guess

PM me if interested

BRAD
1994 Cultus AWD Gti- t25,FMIC, MT LT-8, Eclipse 440cc injectors,Torbosmart reg, carbon airbox,2 1/2" Mandrel exhaust, DMW Clutch- [email protected] @16.6psi,- 13.5 @101mph WSID
mR_cHiEf

holla Fookah

maybe you should get justin to build you up one

toNy
g13b

mR_cHiEf wrote:holla Fookah

maybe you should get justin to build you up one

toNy
That why his looking at 1.6l boxes now, ive been building fookahs boxes for about 5 year, probably 1 every month.... :roll:
I told him to look into the 1.6 box because im over rebuilding his now :lol:
From many other peoples experience the 1.6 box seems the way to go.
A bit of an investment to initially install it, but once its done it will last.

Does anyone know if you can bolt a modena LSD to the 1.6 crown wheel?
12.4 ------>just that bit harder for kyhole to catch me :-)
dmwdave

Modena lsd will not fit on 1600 crown wheel ,the pcd of the bolts is different as well as the driveshafts on the 1600 are larger in Diameter.Suzuki sport sell plate type lsds for both the 1600 2wd and the 4wd boxes,cost approx $1500 plus freight.I also sell Pg type lsds for either box,however if its going to be used for drags with 250+hp the best reliable option is to weld up the diff and fit power steering,although thats not great on the road.
g13b

damn thats not good that the lsd doesnt fit.
2k for the box
1500k for lsd
400 new clutch
1k to get it fitted with drive shafts and cables

nearly 5k already, almost may as well get some custom gears made up..
12.4 ------>just that bit harder for kyhole to catch me :-)
Dattman

g13b wrote:nearly 5k already, almost may as well get some custom gears made up..
WRONG, the problem is the g10/13b box is physically too small, the shafts are too close together so you are very limited when trying to use bigger teeth, bearings are too small and no room to use bigger bearings and here's the big killer, the input shaft is very thin, custom gears are NOT going to handle 250hp...
The standard gti box is fine for an atmo engine but for forced induction, anything over 140hp it's going to break unless you drive with finesse.

Using the g16fwd or awd box will also give you bigger inner cv's and a bigger diff, fit it and forget about it.