tekkie wrote:
*BANG*.... my head just exploded.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just say "No!" to drugs Tekkie!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject: Re: Motorsport suspension setups
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:55 pm 

papa wrote:
This is how the car was some years ago 2000 to be exact.
I do know it had a bit of work done to it after

http://www.hitman.hm/swift.htm

Chat to RUNUTs about what turbo he would recommend and mods. Also seems to me that some of the parts have been taken out do you have recent engine bay pics?

I would take the time and chat to Hitman.

Thanks Papa,

Very interesting indeed!!

There are pics of the current engine bay at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8674&start=640 (pg 33, ½way down page).

The dyno guy also said that he thought the cams in it were fairly mild. Are cams stamped or anything - how can I tell?

Thanks again..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:06 pm 

Just looked at the pics you posted in the other thread and you already have a catchcan hooked up..... Or has it been removed since those pics were taken?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:51 pm 

It has a catch can.

Looks like some work has been done to the suspension ( looks a little high in the back).

I suggest getting some smaller wheels for track use as well as some decent fixed back seats and at the least a half cage.

Mate Runuts has proven that you can run turbo swifts with HUGE cams but for track use I would suggest you chat to him to get the turbo, cam and head specs right for where you want the power.

This car was running 12's I would try and get in touch with the old owner as well he was a mechanic and should be able to get it back to the power it had if not more.

YOU want to PLAY, YOU got to PAY .. Performance doesn't come cheap

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:12 pm 

papa wrote:
It has a catch can.

Looks like some work has been done to the suspension ( looks a little high in the back).

I suggest getting some smaller wheels for track use as well as some decent fixed back seats and at the least a half cage.

Mate Runuts has proven that you can run turbo swifts with HUGE cams but for track use I would suggest you chat to him to get the turbo, cam and head specs right for where you want the power.

This car was running 12's I would try and get in touch with the old owner as well he was a mechanic and should be able to get it back to the power it had if not more.

that is good advice Papa, thanks !! :D

Yep - I had the suspension work done - the suspension when I bought it was so low & harsh that it was ineffective.
I've now got 600lb springs on the back and I'm not exactly sure on the front, but that was changed too (on recco from Suzitech).

I also have been in contact with Michael, the original owner who did the amazing 12.8!!
I will contact him again and try to discover what has changed since then.

I am just doing track days - not interested in drag racing, so I don't want to recreate the original beast exactly - but I wouldn't say no to substantially more power of course!!! :P But it still needs to be moderately driveable day-to-day..

Great advice - After I've spoken with Michael & Hitman, I'll talk to Runuts and see what the next steps are.
(fortunately I already have a separate bank a/c to the wife!!! :wink: )

I am soon planning to get 13" rims (plus some 2nd hand Yoko A048s from Waylow!). I have to get smaller brakes put on first though..
What do you think of the suggestion to use steel 13" rims instead of mags? Idea was that most are as strong and light as mags, and cheaper if I go off track & scratch & scrape..

I'm fairly happy with the seats - they are grippy racing seats, and reclining is good since I am often dropping my kids to school in it too.

Tell me more about a half cage please? Is this just for 'practical insurance' if the car falls over at speed?
How intrusive are they? Can you still use the back seats?!

PS, my BMW M3 driving boss in the Marulan video clip I posted recently was telling me that he is now addicted and wants to get back to the track soon! I was less than 1sec behind him with crap front tyres & an overly rich tune - can't wait to SPANK him next time and see his face!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:38 pm 

Mate chat to waylow about the suspension set up he will steer you in the right direction.

mmm you might be able to machine the brakes.

YOU want to PLAY, YOU got to PAY .. Performance doesn't come cheap