It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:54 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Need help mounting 4 point harness in track GTi
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:06 pm 

Im after some help with mounting my harness in my track GTi. Im not sure what is the best or safest way to mount it that will be allowed by CAMS or other governing bodies / track scrutineers.
I dont have any form of roll cage at this stage.

Any help / pics would be appreciated.

Lots of Used MK2 & MK3 GTi parts FOR SALE

Brand New Aftermarket Parts FOR SALE - http://www.facebook.com/OnlineAutoSupplies?ref=hl

Post subject: Re: Need help mounting 4 point harness in track GTi
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:23 pm 

Use the seat belt mounting points at the rear and the right hand lower side. As for the left use the right hand passengers bolt hole if your harness is long enough, or drill a hole, weld a plate on the underside with the 4 corners bent outwards and mount with high tensile bolts. All assuming you have no cage. Or if you have a rear strut brace, drill two holes and insert two suitable crush tubes and mount rear harness there. Just dont call the bar a strut brace anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:43 pm 

Any chance you could post a pic. Im a little confused.

Ive got the back straps mounted to the rear seat belt holes, driver side front strap to the lower front seat belt hole, and passenger front strap to the original drivers seat belt clip hole (on the seat rail).

I read on the SCROTH website (my harness is SCROTH) that its not recommended to have your rear straps angling down because in an accident the downward force on the harness can compress your spine as its pushing down on your body, not against it. :? They recommended having the rear straps at the same height as the harness holes in the seats (but i dont see how this is possible without either a roll cage or a custom made B pillar brace).

Lots of Used MK2 & MK3 GTi parts FOR SALE

Brand New Aftermarket Parts FOR SALE - http://www.facebook.com/OnlineAutoSupplies?ref=hl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:09 pm 

Are the rear straps long enough to get to the rear top seatbelt mount on the c pillar?, doesn't pull in quite a straight line but better than pulling your seat down.
If you don't intend to install a roll cage then I would look at welding in a very solid bar between the rear struts to use as a belt bar, ideally you want the belts +/- 10 deg from the horizontal from your seat holes and you'll find a belt bar between the struts more like 25' but is still a better option.

Make sure you never use 2' belts, they stretch so much you head will hit the steering wheel in an accident.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:02 pm 

Not sure if you have a copy of the CAMS manual but this is what is says. Doesn't really help you as to where to mount the belts though. I'll most likely get a bar welded between the rear struts.

CAMS wrote:
MOUNTINGS

A safety harness shall be securely mounted on at least two points (Type D), three points (Types B and C) or five
points (Type A) in compliance with the prescriptions of Drawings I-1, I-2 and I-3. If the two shoulder straps join
prior to a common mounting point then that junction shall be at least 150mm behind the wearer’s neck.
A safety harness shall be mounted as per one of the following:
(a) on a series production automobile, any unmodified seat belt mounting point may be used;
(b) where a safety harness is affixed to an un-reinforced section of the body shell, each attachment point shall be
reinforced by the use of a plate not less than 75mm x 50mm x 3mm thick as per drawing I-4;
(c) to the safety cage; or
(d) to a substantial part of the automobile structure.
Under no circumstances shall a safety harness mounting bolt be used to affix a safety cage to the bodyshell.
3. A safety harness damaged in any way, including in a collision, shall be subject to inspection by a scrutineer.
If appropriate, the automobile’s log book shall be endorsed with a requirement that the belt/harness be
replaced.

Attachment:
CAMS belts.JPG
CAMS belts.JPG [ 44.82 KiB | Viewed 387 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:03 pm 

Until you put a roll cage in I wouldnt be installing a full harness belt

In a roll over you will not be able to lay over in your seat if the roof comes down on you

I would check the legallity of a full harness with out a cage

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:38 pm 

It is legal (Cams) to have a harness without a roll cage. What Im planning on doing with my track GTI for the time being before I get a roll cage is to weld a bar between the rear strut towers and have mount the harness on that as the rear seat belt mounts on the floor dont really give a good angle to the seat.

I have seen a few WRX's at Huntley Hillclimb with a harness bar that has been made up to use the bolts from the stop of the strut.

Like this
http://www.agi-precision.com.au/automot ... rness-bar/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:52 pm 

JasStv wrote:
In a roll over you will not be able to lay over in your seat if the roof comes down on you

If you are going fast enough to roll over and you don't have roll protection you are pretty well f**ked regardless of whether you have a lap diagonal or full harness, with a lap diagonal your head will hit pretty much everything as you get bounced around, it all happens so quickly that thinking about laying over will be the last thing on your mind.

I was at a street sprint last year when a guy totaled his type R integra road car, left the road at almost 150kph and bounced back onto the road, anyhow he got out, bit shaken, full of adrenaline, helped get his car onto the recovery trailer, got back to the pits, complaining about his shoulder from the lap diagonal seatbelt, sat down and then passed out, had to fly in a chopper to get him to hospital, in his case I beleive a full harness would of reduced his injuries, certainly wouldn't of fixed the 10k hole in his wallet though :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:37 am 

Weld a suitable piece of roll cage tube (38x2.5mm or 40x2mm CDS) between the rear turrets (use square reinforcing plates at each end, 2-3mm thick welded to the turret) then wrap your harnesses around the harness bar/rear strut brace, job done and 2 for the price of 1.
Most importantly get the roll cage fitted ASAP, ain't no good having harnesses if the car folds up like a piece of tin foil!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:57 pm 

swiftmotorsport wrote:
Weld a suitable piece of roll cage tube (38x2.5mm or 40x2mm CDS) between the rear turrets (use square reinforcing plates at each end, 2-3mm thick welded to the turret) then wrap your harnesses around the harness bar/rear strut brace, job done and 2 for the price of 1.
Most importantly get the roll cage fitted ASAP, ain't no good having harnesses if the car folds up like a piece of tin foil!

+1 on rear bar. The cost is pretty minor and any number of workshops should be able to do this in about 2 hrs worth of labour.

1/2 cage is def recommended, full cage highly recommended but you have to weigh the pro and cons of street driven car. Keep in mind you should drive on track with a margin allowing for the lesser safety items. Ie drive to conditions ! :)

2008: Mk1 TAR car, stock engine, open diff - 1/4mile 14.774 @ 91mph

2006: Mk1- yeah well at some stage to go on track...
2003-2005 Mk3(retired)- EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.14 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:03 pm 

swiftmotorsport wrote:

Yep this is what im going to be doing as soon as Mr tax man gives me money!.

Personally I would go for atleast a 5 point harness.. Ive seen the aftermath of going under the 4 point harness's (with no crotch strap) when in an accident Not pretty..

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:23 pm 

If going 5 might as well go for 6 point. This way your testicals will also thank you.