It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:03 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Re: Autocross Mk 1
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:25 am 

Hi James
If you go to Youtube and type in "VCAS Round 2 Bendigo 20/4/2008 "my white Mk1 appears at 1 minute and about 1 sec and at 2 minute 35 seconds and at 3 min 58 seconds .
(Was the only Mk 1 there) It always looks a bit tame to me on you tube but if you look at the first clip and listen to the rev,s the car is pulling in second coming down the hill you will get an idea that it is honking along. We use 3rd a couple of corners further on and you are driving straight at trees before you come to a tightening second gear left.(good idea not to miss your braking point as some guys have found to their cost). For the unitiated my flat and straight cornering technique is usually quicker than a spectacular tail out , opposite lock gravel rooster tails method employed by some drivers. I won my class there that day and again when I went back later in the year. (It was actually the only 2 times in the year that I did win my class). The layout of the track with down hill corner exits seems to suit the gearing of the GTI.
There is one other track where no matter what I do I seem to be about 10 places further down in the overall results as it is flat with tight corners followed by long straights and suits cars with bulk horsepower. I am hoping my Civic EG6 with about 175 bhp will work better there.
Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:08 pm 

Just watched that youtube clip, I love it when you can pick a Gti out of a cloud of dust from it's exhaust note 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:46 pm 

Glad you enjoyed it .I have no idea who took the video and for some reason they seemed to concentrate on my class and gave my car an unusual amount of footage. I never see much value in the footage as the cameras are always too far away and really do not give much indication of how hard we have to work inside the car. (Mind you I guess even F1 looks easy on a screen in the lounge room). I would have thought some of the four wheel drive STI's or specials would have been more appealing to the average youtube watcher however the camera operator obviously had an agenda he wanted to follow. From memory Brendan Reeves was there in his Australian Rally Championship podium car and I know one of the motoring journalists, James Sandford, from the Herald Sun was there in his STI. James is a very modest guy who never writes about himself in the Sun except when he end for ended his car into total destruction in the series 2 years ago and subsequently did an article on the value of a full cage and a proper race seat LOL. He actually won the series outright last year despite having a lot of ongoing problems setting up his centre diff.There was also a very rapid Cyborg Mirage driven by 16 yo Jacob Mc Cashney, ( brother of Aussie Race Cars regular winner Ben). We expect big things from Jacob in the Australian rally scene in the future if he can get a budget together. Interestingly the vw beetle despite not looking too quick in the footage (which was shot early on while the track was still very "green" and slippery) is fitted with a twelve grand plus motor and on some tracks I can finish in front of him and on others he is a fair way in front of me. He runs in a different class (I think he has about 2.2 litres) but it interesting to compare times and analyse why the variations occur from track to track.
Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:02 am 

Very interesting read Steve, thanks for the posts.

As someone who only got their CAMS license last year (at the age of 40!!!) I wish I had gotten into hillclimbs and khanas or autocross years ago. I'm encouraging my sons to get into - in fact I got my eldest his CAMS 2SJ at the same time as I got mine. Everyone should get out there and try it, it's great fun =D>

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:40 am 

Yep it sure beats hooning around on the streets. It seems there may be more motorsports enthusiasts with CAMS memberships on here than I thought. Maybe we should lobby the mods for a specific " club motorsport category" ?
Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:28 pm 

Steve wrote:

Excellent result.

I'm another 40-something. In my case using an Ignis Sport at trackdays, and planning some 'proper' motorsport before too long. I'm hoping we have many good years ahead of us.

A few years ago, living in England, I went to Catalunya in Spain to watch the WRC rally and had the pleasure of meeting Phil Shaw. He was then 73 and still a very active competitor, there to see the rally. Before it started he drove the entire route on his own in a hire car. Then he went off into the Pyrenees to check out some off-road driving school that he was interested in.
Thinking of him now I just googled him and he passed away last year, but active until the last ... which is how I'd like to go.
http://www.expressandstar.com/2008/01/0 ... s-aged-82/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:37 pm 

Thanks for that info. I am told that if you go to CAMS historic race meetings you will find competitors still wringing everything out of their fully fledged race cars despite being well into their 70's. A friend of mine said he went to a combined car/ bike meeting not long ago and twice he witnessed a couple of obviously "old" bike riders being given assistance to get on the things before they then set off to record competitive times.
Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:26 pm 

Steve wrote:
I am told that if you go to CAMS historic race meetings you will find competitors still wringing everything out of their fully fledged race cars despite being well into their 70's.

We had a similar thing down here at Tassienats. Bloke who was easily 70 racing in a worked 308 (I think from memory) VK and running very competitive times, including reaction times he didn't move real quick getting in or out of the car, usually couldn't hear over the loud speaker the street cars had been called for a pass and didn't bother with a burnout (not that you really need to on street tyres) but ran well all day. Showed a few younger guys (I'm 25) up off the line etc which is where it counts. Good to see...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:24 pm 

Steve wrote:
Maybe we should lobby the mods for a specific " club motorsport category" ?
Steve

What do you think Mods? :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:37 pm 

time for ideas and suggestions topic

2008: Mk1 TAR car, stock engine, open diff - 1/4mile 14.774 @ 91mph

2006: Mk1- yeah well at some stage to go on track...
2003-2005 Mk3(retired)- EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.14 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:52 am 

Steve wrote:
Maybe we should lobby the mods for a specific " club motorsport category" ?
Steve

Hi Mods,

suggest moving this thread to the new MotorSports forum.. this is the one that started the ball rolling! :)