It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:47 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Dutton Rally 21st-23rd Nov - Day 2 Review posted!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:52 pm 

Hi,
Bit of a long shot I know but Ive entered the NSW Dutton rally and was wondering if anyone else from here has done one or has entered the nsw event(21st-23rd Nov).
Looks pretty good from what Ive read ,One day at wakefield park,one day at a hillclimb /skidpan area(I think its the one Brayden took the canberra cruise to)and final day at Oran park.
Im going to run the old black mk3 ,should be good for most disciplines,just reverse motorkhana is pretty hard with the locked diff!!,but the circuit and hillclimb stuff should be good.

Post subject: Re: Dutton rally 21st-23rd Nov
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:54 pm 

Bugger! I'm gonna be at Oran on the Saturday, but back in Canberra by the Sunday! I'm gonna miss it.

I would loved to of seen it. I reckon that the Sydney folk should come down for Marques a day early to support Dave in Canberra! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:11 pm 

Dave, if you need a hand with anything let me know. I might take a day or two off work to come and support/take pics.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:30 pm 

Would be but saving for a wedding.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:33 pm 

Don't forget vid footage :lol: :lol: :lol:

BWTCHD Performance

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:08 pm 

YLdboy,
I will take you up on that offer ,a extra pair of hands is always useful espeicially when you know what your doing!!.
Base for the first two nights is in Goulburn then the Finchely (eastern creek) on the sat and sun night.
SFS I bought a vid cam same as the one Dans hosted vids from,so Im sure I should get some coverage.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:57 pm 

DAY 1 REVIEW

The first day of racing started at Goulburn Airport, with a high-speed 800m time trial, and an easterly wind so strong that it could've blown Christ off the cross. We (myself and bzchi) arrived to find some tarted-up racing EVOs, WRXs, HSVs, Lotus', Porches - all the fruit of expensive taste... and a lonely black Swift. :lol: While Dave and his co-driver Ferris were testing the aerodynamics of the Swift by running into 5th gear and unleashing 240hp, we chatted anonymously to the other competitors about - well mostly how f-ing fast that little black Swift was. One EVO owner enquired about the time it had put down and was surprised to find that it was a second or two faster than his Lancer. Score 1 for the Swift.

Here's a pic of Dave racing through the daisies:

Once the competition had been warned about the black Swift with a bite worse than its bark, we hauled over to Wakefield Park for a series of trials involving slalom, a reverse 180 degree motorkhana-type thing, and a hillclimb. The highlight of this part of the day wasn't anything that happened on the track, but a conversation with our good friend the EVO owner. After inquiring about the weight of the Swift, he commented on how he likes the look of the new Swift. Dave casually replied that he was building a 500hp new Swift with EVO running gear. Once our EVO friend retrieved his jaw from the tarmac, his parting comment was: "you're absolutely mad!" :lol:

Ferris tearing through the slalom at Wakefield:

Following the racing at Wakefield there was an 80km drive to Canberra before lunch. I expected Dave's kidneys to be mush by the time we made it, and that probably wasn't far from the truth!

The Sutton Road driver training complex and hillclimb facility were the venues for the afternoon's racing, and we arrived to find the rest of the field tucking into lunch. This gave us a good chance to wander around and salivate over the millions of dollars worth of motoring ecstasy. The highlight was an Audi R8 - pure sex.

Back to the racing though, which was divided into four events. An auto test, go-to-woah, motorkhana and a skid pan that some of you might remember from the last Canberra Cruise. The layout of the motorkhana circuit was so confusing it required a masters in geography to understand, but Ferris and Dave attacked it with the aggression of a half-starved Pitbull.

Next up was the skid pan. Ignoring the 240hp on tap and the semi slick tyres, Dave launched hard out of the gate, only to find that at the first turn the car only had one intention - and that was to ignore all steering input. From then on it was a very gentle application of throttle to ease around the circuit to the finish line. Ferris was a bit more careful, only managing to nudge a cone on his way through.

Last up for the day was the hillclimb - one hot lap around the Fairburn Hill complex at full tilt. Naturally Dave's loves an uphill battle, but Ferris was out to prove that he could keep up the pace. I'll let this pic from Dave's run tell the story:

More of my pics from the day can be found here:
gallery/album.php?album_id=1315

Day two review coming soon!

Post subject: Re: Dutton Rally 21st-23rd Nov - Day 1 Review posted!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:16 pm 

Good to see your not taking it easy dave, nice work guys, and thanks for the update.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:23 pm 

Hi YLD80Y & DMWDave!

What an awesome day, and thanks so much for the commentary and excellent pics!!! =D> =D>
Really enjoyed it and look forward to the next installment!

Love to hear some times on how the Suzi is placing compared to the others, and especially the time that an R8 is managing! (You'd be scared to drive it hard though, wouldn't you?! :shock: )

What camera & lens are you using YLD80Y? Loved the Suzi racing thru the flowers, and the back wheel way in the air!! Gallery was good too! Look forward to video when you get a chance too.. Brilliant!! :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:01 pm 

Great work there guys, looking forward to the next chapter! Great photos and write up sam/brayden.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:10 pm 

Just wish I had have had the video camera on recording the comments the first time the Swift hauled it up the back hill at Fairbairn.. ahh damn.. was such a good laugh hearing people's amazement.

The best bit was everyone was shrugging it off in the morning, and by the afternoon were chasing details on the setup.

Really was great to see/hear the Swift at full noise, and will be back tomorrow for more :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:45 am 

Awesome pics looks like a fun event,

Just a couple of quick question how much does it cost to enter? do you need cams licence and is a cams approved cage required?

I would love to do something like that in the cappa.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:55 am 

Cappuccino wrote:
Awesome pics looks like a fun event,

Just a couple of quick question how much does it cost to enter? do you need cams licence and is a cams approved cage required?

I would love to do something like that in the cappa.

To enter - it is about $1,000 for an entry, You need a level 2 CAMS licence and your car needs to meet CAMS regulations including roll cage (unless in historics class)

All you need to know is on their web page

http://www.duttonrally.com/

Upside down, Miss Jane ....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:05 am 

Thanks Neo,

Cams approved cage puts me out anyway... i cant get a cams approved cage for the cappa.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:10 am 

I asked Dave about the costs. It was $3500 for two drivers, and you don't need a CAMS cage. There were people running production cars without even installing a harness. With a cabriolet I'd say you would need a roll hoop though.

Day two review of Saturday will be posted tonight.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:21 pm 

I was temped to run this few years ago but.... 3500 is a fair bit of cash considering travel fuel, wear and tear, food and accommodation are all extra.

Having said that, I jealous as hell. Well done guys, Yld8oy nice pics and commentary.

It will be very interesting to see the comparisons between the cars in the same class. :)

2008: Mk1 TAR car, stock engine, open diff - 1/4mile 14.774 @ 91mph

2006: Mk1- yeah well at some stage to go on track...
2003-2005 Mk3(retired)- EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.14 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:37 pm 

I'll let Dave fill in the details, but I heard mention that he and Ferris were 4th and 5th overall - not just in their class. I could have that wrong though.

Anyhoo, Day 2:

Just to backtrack for a second, there was a minor mechanical drama with the Swift on Friday when the driveshaft castle nut decided it no longer wanted to be part of the car, and left. This meant the wheel bearings became a bit sloppy, and perhaps related, the rotor on the same hub developed a crack that wasn't discovered until later that night. As luck would have it, Sam and I had been sent to track down a GTi hub during Friday's racing, and after being given a Cino unit from a wrecker :roll: we returned it for a 1600 hub that came complete with rotor and caliper.

So my Saturday morning was a 4:30am start to drive to Goulburn and deliver said rotor and help repair the car before competition, which I was happy to do. Sam on the other hand, well I can't blame him for preferring a pillow to an early morning drive in the rain.

Onto the important part of the day, the car was repaired and on the track for a 9:00am start at Wakefield Park for full course timed laps. The weather was best summarised as "miserable" with a howling Westerly wind and rain that was desperately trying to become snow. Still, Dave threw caution to the wind (that pun comes for free), and headed out for some wet laps on semi-slick tyres. I haven't ever driven a boosted FWD Swift on semis in the rain, but expect it would be something like a cat on an ice rink.

Both Dave and Ferris were putting down times in the low teens (sub 1:15sec), which isn't bad considering the conditions and that they only had two laps from a cold start to record their times.

Next it was a familiar 80km trip to Canberra, followed by a warm lunch and more cold weather. The good news was that the rain had reduced to a lisping man's spray, and so the rest of the day could be run with more aggression. The motorkhana, skidpan, slalom and auto test were up first, followed by the hillclimb.

The motorkhana course layout was different than the previous day, and just to throw people off, the sneaky organisers added additional witch's hats that weren't really part of the course. With their keen sense of direction (and map taped to the dashboard) both of the guys piloted the Swift around with ease - not a simple task to negotiate some of the turns with a locked diff!

The treacherous skidpan followed, in a reversed layout. Thankfully the witch's hats had been widened, and the guys were able to go on the attack, cocking rear wheels in the air like a spaniel with a weak bladder.

The last event for the day was again the hillclimb. Both Dave and Ferris had learned a lot from the previous day, and managed to find some rhythm using every inch of the available track - sometimes a bit more! Overall though the laps looked a lot quicker, and I'm sure this would have shown in their times if we had've been able to see them on the day.

Of course before you attempt any serious track work you need to warm the tyres, as Dave demonstrated several times:

Unfortunately because of my commitment to attend Marques in the Park I wasn't able to follow the guys to Oran Park for the Sunday, so I'll leave Dave to fill in the details. I have added more pics to the gallery:
gallery/album.php?id=1315&sort_method=image_time&sort_order=DESC

I also have some footage of the motorkhana that I will stick on YouTube soon.

Post subject: Re: Dutton Rally 21st-23rd Nov - Day 2 Review posted!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:04 am 

Can't wait for the footage.

Results can be found here http://www.duttonrally.com/results.php#aform

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:33 am 

http://www.duttonrally.com/results.php? ... =asc#aform

That is great to see :lol:

Still a lot of stuff missing.. really keen to see Fairbairn Hill Climb times.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:21 pm 

Well Im back in brissie,car is in one peice and Im very tired,but it was a great deal of fun(just not 100% sure you can really justify the $!!!,but taking that element away the event was very well organised and run)
Final day was based at Oran prk,we ran the North circuit ,Two motorkhanas and The short and GP track ,unfortunately we only got to do half a lap warm up and two timed laps at each track.As neither ferris or myself had been to the track before we had asked a mate for some tips!!,unfortunately his best tips were to cut across the ripple strips ,but the rally organisers had placed traffic cones on all ripple strips so you couldnt cut!!!best laid plans of mice and men!!
Oran prk track is fantastic with undulations, blind crests and long straight ,so fairly high speed.
The whole last day went without a hitch and both our times were competative until the very last motorkhana ,ferris went the wrong side of a cone and got a wd,this unfortunately effected his position in the class.
Our results were pretty good considering we had never seen any of the tracks before and the high level of cars we were competeing against.
We as a team ended up 2nd outright crew in the rookie class(to a 2008 135twin turbo bmw)
I ended up 4th in class
Ferris 4th in class(was 2nd till the wd)
We havnt got the official listings yet as to where we placed outright but the goal was to be in the top 50% and Im pretty confident we were around that mark.
Edit-Just got final results and as a crew we came 15th outright out of 45,so thats well inside the top 50%!!!!!
I do have a fair bit of in car video from the event and will send it down to brayden to edit.
I would just like to add a big thank you to Sam and Brayden for their moral and phisical support over the event ,its always great to catch up with you guys and have fun !!and brayden you have some awesome shots there,thanks.

Last edited by dmwdave on Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.