It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:52 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Re: weight reduction?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:06 pm 

It is an idea, but I still drive the car on the street, so having a good old handbrake is better than having a hydraulic one.

You dont need a lot of space for creating fibrglass or carbon.
It does smell though but you do get used to it pretty quick.

Has anyone ever replaced the skin on the door and/or roof?
We already made a mould for a Scirocco- roofpanel. Might be worth a try on the swift.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:44 pm 

Dattman wrote:
Salto wrote:
how much do the titanium bolts save you?

Not enough for the money

:lol: That's why you do them as the 10/10ths mod on engine and driveline (can't pop rivet gearbox to engine practically)
If you're running a G13B, there are a lot of factory braces on intake manifold that can be discarded (factory overkill) if it's a gti shell, you don't need all the additional brackets along sill to hold the skirts (especially if you replace them with a one piece fibreglass skirt)
Windscreen washer bottle can be down sized or deleted (it's the weight of the fluid I'm getting at rather than the loss of a plastic bottle)
Are you still running gti Factory starter motor? One from a baleno or Sx4 are gear reduction type, so they're lighter and they fire the car up more efficiently.
Creative ideas: I'm surprised Dattman didn't go into length about the cordless drill battery mod, rewire a 14.4v battery instead of installing motorbike sized battery.
Swap factory wiper motor out for a unit off a hyundai excel, does same job in smaller and lighter package.
Weed out loom for anything you don't need like power windows, aircon loom etc
Really get spartan with functionality of car and you'll be on right track

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:57 pm 

Dattman ,
I dont have a handbrake atall in the evoswift and all i do at the hillclimbs is lay a length of 2"x3" on a tarp in my pit bay, when I come back from a run I simply back over the wood and let it work as a chock, doesnt add any weight to the car and doesnt complicate the hydraulics!!.
Salto-Having replaced a roof skin on a swift I dont think theres going to be a huge weight saving , its single skin and not very heavy.A much easier skin than fibreglass to put on the doors is aluminum,I did a couple of bmw doors years ago ,gutted the interior panel and removed the outer skin so all you are left with is a very flimsy frame,get some thin alloy sheet cut to size , put a couple of bends in it on a folder at the same height as the std outer skin has and leave approx 10mm overlap around the edges,using sikaflex (or similar bonding adhesive )bond the sheet to the frame and slowly work your way around the door folding the edges over.We ran these lightweight alloy skinned doors for years and no one ever picked up that they were not original!!
I see in your pics you still have sound deadning in your rear quarter panels,thats an easy 1-2kg!!

Another area to save substantial weight is getting rid of the heavy cast iron engine mount brkts and the monstrous engine mounts, there's probably at least a ten kilo saving could be had there.
A very easy 10+kg can be saved by replacing the std lead acid battery with a 1.5kg lithium ion battery.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:01 pm 

Almost forgot, if it's still street driven, reduce weight of lights (rather than deleting them)
Exchange the glass headlights for Toyota corolla Ae101 plastic units, if you've mk3 tail lights then gut the back out of the middle garnish light.
The glovebox door from an American Geo Metro (1994) came without the lock installed, looking at base model swifts can give you parts to delete switches etc to retain factory look of road car while reducing weight (like the rubber plug from GA models that deletes rear hatch wiper) if you're keeping interior trims, the rear panels from a Ga don't have the additional steel inserts for the trim material..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:09 am 

Dave, have you ever weighed a door with aluminum cover?
(*edit, didnt read the part about it being for a BMW)

I'm hoping to start with door to door racing this year, so my thought with carbonfiber or fibreglass skins is if it gets hit it will bounce back instead of crumbling or denting the metal.
I will try this I think, and I will weigh everything with this process, so curious to see howmuch it will save.

Roofskin is still a thing i'm thinking about, it probably wont hurt, so might try it.

Thanks for al the tips sofar, we are going with stock power, so adding lightness will be essential.

I will have to weigh the car soon.. im getting really curious about the weight now. Last time I weighed the car it was 780kg, but that was a year ago, maybe even two.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:27 pm 

Salto, I was looking through your build thread, are you still running factory mirrors?
If that's the case, they've got a heap of steel bracketry inside them (you don't need em to fold if your racing right?) and swap the glass mirror lenses out for mirror Perspex, as long as you clean them carefully they shouldn't scratch too rapidly.
As far as basic function goes, factory mirrors are lard ass in stock form.
Use motorcycle windscreen aluminium screws to mount them, they're m5 size and you'll find that six ally screws will do the job while weighing as much as 2 of the steel ones they replace.
Do you have an aluminium radiator? Factory was copper core, the modern aluminium ones are a vast improvement weight wise

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:08 am 

I've thought about the mirrors but i kept them because being able to have good sight rearwards is really important for where I drive the car.. but now you mention it.. they are reaally heavy so it would be good to find some alternatives.

I do have an aluminium radiator.. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:41 am 

Base model swifts had manual mirrors.much lighter and an easy swap.
Don't forget about remove the wiring loom and switches for them too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:31 am 

Switches are mostly gone.

I will probably try to fit some other mirrors in the future..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:45 pm 

hey guys

I highly recommend this bloke if you want to undertake skinning or rivet panel replacement with composites.

http://youtu.be/GXzR17LktSg

this blokes channel is a wealth of knowledge

to the OP, If you need windscreen wipers, maybe go to single wiper conversion or delete all together. depends if you plan on racing in wet weather or a class that requires it

I recommend the liFePo4 batteries modified for 12-14v, DATTMAN has/had a dewalt cordless drill battery. I used 2 in parallel 1.2kg compared to my 11kg battery.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:58 am 

thanks, I live in the netherlands, so will need 2 working wipers at all times.
I've seen most of this guy's videos, and this is basically what we already do.

could you give me more info about the drill battery modification?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:50 am 

Just to contribute with something, if anyone is replacing the wiper motor, i found the that the wiper motor from the daihatsu terios (might be more models from diahatsu with the same wiper motor) to be exactly the same as the one i had on the swift but smaller and around 100gr lighter, even performed better so its a plus