It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:10 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Baleno GTX J18A idle problems
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:03 am 

Hi All,

Recently purchased a '98 Suzuki Baleno GTX with the 1.8l J18 DOHC engine, 5sp Manual. I have noticed that the car on a cold start will sit above 2,000rpm for a good few minutes before then slowly going down to normal operating idle (below 1,000rpm). After engine has warmed up no further idle problems, and if i need to start the car again when its warm it starts fine.

I know its normal to have a high startup idle, but realistically it should drop back down alot sooner? Any ideas to what it could be?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Baleno GTX J18A idle problems
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:41 am 

The CSV is a stepper motor under the control of the ECU. I eventually replaced mine because it was very slow closing the port and no amount of cleaning the internals of the port and actuator made it close any faster (and always close completely). Stopgap was to block the air port (new gasket without a hole). Replaced it with a second hand unit and replaced the gasket with one with a smaller hole to cut down the air (cuts the cold revs).

Other strange problem I had was:
Start first off in the morning - fast idle and warm idle would be OK. Drive 5K's to work - all OK. About hour later go for a short drive and park. Still OK. Go to leave - engine would run up to about 2500 RPM (higher than cold idle revs, even though it's warm) and goes through the cold start process again. That was the O2 sensor doing that.