It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:09 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: j20 conversion
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:04 pm 

i'm going to do a j20 conversion on my GTX baleno, but i have a few questions

i have a J20 bottom end all ready to go, and i'm planning on using the J18 head. i've assumed this will work wont it?
are the heads are the same? i'm hoping the pistons dont hit and that the compression isn't changed too much.

that the cam gears are the same. so i can use either a J20 timing belt or a J18 belt. .

Post subject: Re: j20 conversion
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:48 pm 

ive been looking into this as wel but am unsure what the j20 came out of?
also seeing as it has the stronger crank un like the j18 will the suzuki liana fordged rods fit?
would make it pretty bullet proof i think

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:52 pm 

[quote="13bsigma"]i'm going to do a j20 conversion on my GTX baleno, but i have a few questions

i have a J20 bottom end all ready to go, and i'm planning on using the J18 head. i've assumed this will work wont it?
are the heads are the same? i'm hoping the pistons dont hit and that the compression isn't changed too much.

appently it does work.
quote by suzi13. airflow meter on a gtx don't you mean map sensor no airflow meter on a gtx j18a and as for the gtx 1.8 baleno ecu running a j20a i have seen this type of conversion many times with a lot of success plus whats to be gained by putting the head off a j18a onto a j20a they are both low compression i can't see any benefits by doing this unless your head is already been worked i would just buy the whole motor stick it in and be done with it instead of going to all that work for little if any gains

anyway good luck with the sale sk4wd

best just find a head and slap it on i would do research on the belts i say its just easer to run the j 20 head
dan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:23 pm 

i bought a J20 bottom end as my girls GTX needed an oil pump. and the engine wasn't much more than a new pump would be. so i was planning on putting the j20 in my gtx. but i didn't get a head with it.

i have stripped it down and am rebuilding it. . well i'm awaiting a gasket kit for it to be honest. all machining has been done and new rings and bearings have been purchased for it. it just needs assembling. my turbo 1.6L baleno just blew its engine. so i need a car. am thinking the gtx will be less unreliable as it wont be running 15 pounds hahaha.

i have $1000 to do this, but i want to know it will work as i can just rego my toy car to drive for a while if it doesn't, but if i try this and it doesn't work, i'm screwed for a bit with no car as i cant afford to do both

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:04 pm 

Hi 13bsigma

There is a member here "Mikal " who had done J20 + turbo conversions, search some of his posts might be able to help ya. Or try PM/email him, might still be active here.

Hopes this helps u a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:55 pm 

thanks. thought no one in the world could help me hahahaha or wanted to lol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:35 pm 

Did you end up get this going yet??

Just for others info, the J20 is a Vitara motor and the easiest way to do the conversion is to swap the sump and oil pickup, plus some other minor external engine parts from the J18 to the J20. You can keep the head if you have one and I have never been able to find out whether the cams are different.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:46 pm 

http://www.clubaleno.us
Try registering here mate.
There are quite a few boys on there with j20 conversions.
They have good knowlege of anything baleno in the us and uk.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:02 am 

i have the GTX sitting at home collecting cob webs and a J20 fully prepped and machined ready to be assembled. i just need a gasket kit and time to assemble.. but i live on the gold coast now, so time is hard.. i was considdering going down to do it in a few weeks, but i have decided to replace the turbo balenos engine instead.. i think i will need the missus' GTX down there to install the engine as there will be a few brackets i might be unsure of their location.. should be right, but would be easier to have a second car for a bit of guidance.. i'm not a mechanic and this is the first time i have ever touhed a GTX..
will hopefully do it in a few months though.. then it will be off to the spray painters for an $8000 paint job... :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:36 am 

conversion complete :) torque is very noticable from 1500rpm.. very smooth and nice to drive. although check engine light is on. so i'm gonig to suzitech now to sus that problem out. it could just be something simple as the car was sitting outside for 2 years with loose wires everywhere..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:56 am 

13bsigma wrote:
conversion complete :) torque is very noticable from 1500rpm.. very smooth and nice to drive. although check engine light is on. so i'm gonig to suzitech now to sus that problem out. it could just be something simple as the car was sitting outside for 2 years with loose wires everywhere..

What became of this?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:50 pm 

its with me in QLD now :) drove the 800kms here, but cracked the radiator 350kms before we got here.. every 18kms i had to pull ovr and re fill the radiator to get it here... brand new radiator should be here in a few days.. :) then rego and daily driving :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:27 pm 

I spent some time this evening on the Suzuki Worldwide Automotive parts program comparing the OEM part numbers between the SY418-1, 1.8 Baleno and the SV420G Type 3, 2.0 Vitara.

I can confirm the following engine internals are identical and have the same OEM part numbers.

Thrust Bearings 12300-85830
Headgasket 11141-77E00
Inlet Valve 12911-86FA0
Exhaust Valve 12915-86F50
Camshaft (Inlet) 12711-62G00
Camshaft (Exhaust) 12721-62G00
Fuel Injector 15710-77EA0

The cylinder head assemblies have different part numbers for whatever reason but they really are the same, especially as the valves and cams are the same.

I did notice they specify the NGK BKR6E-11 spark plug for the 1.8 Baleno, but specify the NGK BKR6E for the 2.0 Vitara.

I know the Baleno ECU has a higher rev limit, but I would be really interested to know how close the air fuel ratios are using the 1.8 ECU in the 2.0, especially at wide open throttle / under load?
I assume the air flow meter would compensate somewhat for the change in engine capacity. The different ignition maps would also be interesting, though given the cams are the same and the Baleno has slightly higher CR I suspect the Baleno 1.8 ECU would be a little more aggressive with it's timing advance... perhaps.
If I ever do this conversion I would be keen for a dyno run with each ECU to compare.

How is your car going?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:21 pm 

car is going great :) just gotta get a little leaky sump re sealed, but while its out, will prob get a turbo oil return welded in while its out ;) when i put the sump on during assembly, i degreased the engine straight after and i think the de greaser disolved some of the sealant :(

and you say the cams are the same are they? i was thinking of getting some J20 stage 3 cams for the head, but as its a J18 head, wasn't sure if it'd work and was going to pop on here to sus it out..

just got my spare head fully rebuilt and getting ready to do the J20 conversion to the pink one :)

also, i always run premium, so i haven't heard any pinging or anything from the more aggressive timing etc..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:02 pm 

Any more news on this?
Did you get any after market cams?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:01 pm 

i found a place that would do a regrid for $270 for the pair, but havent done it yet. head is fully reco'ed and ported, i'll prob put it on in a month or so. been fosucing my money on a 13b rotary lately..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:35 am 

Anyone know if you can just drop the j20crank pistons and rods into the j18?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:45 pm 

yeah, i'm pretty sure you can.. not 100%, but fairly sure..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:42 pm 

i was looking at a gtx to buy for the purpose to put in a 2ltr, j20 crank and forged rods and pistons and boost it to the moon. try get 300hp. i have a j20a turbo atm but its in the zook so to heavy to do anything to amazing 1/4 mile wise.

no one really plays with there motors over here so not much info around.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:19 am 

come the 20th of december il be doing the 2.0l vitara crank and rod swap with the j18a pistons for the slightly increased compression. also thought id say that reports from other baleno fans that have cropped up here and there are running reporting that you can run the turbo set up on stock internals at 8-12psi very safely and have around 250- 275 whp. chap appeared on a facebook page running a j18a with stock internals for nearly 2 years at 10psi safely lol also from a reliable source the j20a rods and crank should be a straight swap however il find out for definite next month :wink: