It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:26 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: 1996 Baleno GTX1.8Litre Over revving at idle and cutting out
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:27 am 

I am the original owner of this vehicle. Some years ago it developed a problem of cutting out at idle. This was solved by cleaning the idle control unit, which seems to be a small stepper motor. Last year the problem returned and also the car developed a problem of uncommanded acceleration at idle. I replaced the idle control unit. All was well for several weeks but then the problems returned. It has now become a frequent problem, often reaching 3000RPM especially when the engine is hot, or cutting out completely when stopping at lights. When over revving, a quick tap of the accelerator brings the revs back to under 1000RPM. Can someone suggest any other solutions to this problem?

Post subject: Re: 1996 Baleno GTX1.8Litre Over revving at idle and cutting out
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:26 pm 

I also have the exact same problem with mine except mine doesn't cut out. When cold it sometimes over revs to 2000rpm on idle and when I tap the accelerator all returns to normal.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:15 pm 

Sorry, but glad to hear someone else has this problem. The car spent 1 week with the Suk dealer in Launceston no joy just a hefty invoice. Took vehicle for a service to a guy that works on rally cars he thought it may be the crank valve handle whatever that means but says wouldn't be cheap to fix. The car is getting worse and is becoming quite dangerous to drive when it decides to cut out in very tricky situations. I hope someone else out there may have some answers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:04 pm 

The fact that it is cutting out rather tham just over revving steers away from a sticking accelerator cable.... I would check the throttle position sensor with a multimeter to ensure it has no intermittent / dead spots
Have you done a diagnostic check on the ECU?

You said it uses a stepper motor for idle control....
I can't recall if that is the case or if it has a solenoid.
Some idle control solenoids did have coolant running into and out of them and could become problematic if the cooling system developed problems and required bleeding.
I am not sure if this is the case with the GTX but I will look at my books when I get home and let you know.

I know the air flow meters (inside throttle body) often caused the GTX's to have issues as well.

Cheers,
Damian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:12 pm 

I've came across the same problem in my 1.6 phase 1 model recently.
Prior to this problem, I've by-passed the coolant away from the idle speed control motor.

It did not cut out on me, but refused to idle. Pulled off the throttle body, clean everything, and reset TPS fixed it for now since 1 month ago. I'll see if the problem come around again.

Also, the problem only shows up on super cold morning start, so it may be the IACV after all.

If yours is cutting out, was it cutting out on spark or fuel? Sometimes it could be a faulty (oil infiltrated) CAS as well.

markymark wrote:
f**k me that is expensive, but cool.

Last edited by irenl on Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:13 pm 

Well the old owner of my gtx said that he used a throttle body cleaner spray and that did the trick...I'm not to worried about mine since it's not anywhere near as bad as to the point of cutting out just every so often usually after a cold start the throttle gets stuck on 2000rpm but goes down right away with a quick tap on the gas in neutral...I was thinking it could be a frayed cable...but I could not find anything wrong so I do think it's something to do with the air flow meter as you mentioned damo...

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:55 pm 

I also had that problem, I would come to a stop sign so I would take it out of gear and suddenly it would just rev high, but after I went microtech I never had the problem again .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:54 pm 

my girlfriends one does the same thing too. very annoying and sometimes instead of revving, if in gear cruising, the car will accelarate which can be very dangerous. and in a car pulling up to a red light with a car with a cannon exhaust reving loudly tends to turn heads in a bad way too

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:20 pm 

I've found that the issue (at least in my case) is something clutch related because when I take the car out of gear and it revs out I depress the clutch fully and it normalizes...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:53 pm 

never tried the clutch idea you do, but it does stop when you tap the accelarator. hasn't dont it for a while. . . after about 4 looking overs by suzitech. .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:57 pm 

I think it's something not fully disengaging because the clutch would relax everything but the accelerator probs does the same thing just a different way?...I've noticed mine never does it when driving normally just does it every so often when I drive after a cold start

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:45 pm 

i can be driving on very light throttle and just feel the car take over its self lol. and if i go on the clutch, it over revs to like 3000rpm, so something is feeding the engine air and fuel i think. i thought it was the cold start by pass at first, but checked it while it was idling at 3000 once and i was fine, so then i leaned towards the idle speed controle. but as i said, its gone now. but haven't driven much as its been in spray painters for last 15 weeks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:28 am 

come to think of it. . .my girlfriend just reminded me. #-o i got did of the problem myself. . temporarly though. i un plugged the idle speed controle unit. the car stalls when you do this, so just adjust the throttle so it sits open just a LITTEL bit so the car will idle by itself. take it for a drive and the problem will be gone. i'm yet to clean or replace the ISC . . :wink:

so for people out there with this problem. un plug the idle speed controle unit and take for a test drive. problem should be gone. . then you know where the problem is :D