It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:01 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Opening the gear box help?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:29 pm 

So as fate would have it I need to split the gear box to replace the input shaft bearing and seal. Rather than flying blind, can anyone share any helpful info?

It's a 95 Baleno 1.6, I can't find a manual online and from searching the forum apparently a few other people can't either.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Opening the gear box help?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:43 am 

I have no idea if the baleno motor/gearbox combo is similar to a swift, I am guessing it is, but I found some diy articles on teamswift that made my gti gearbox rebuild a breeze. They have a section on FAQ in the transmission section. Some pretty handy stuff in there. If you have a good selection of tools and somewhere decent to do it have a go, I recommend taking plenty of photos as you go to make re-assembly easier.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:20 pm 

Thanks for the advice, I'll check it out. I think I'll definitely be taking plenty of photos.
What sealant did you use putting it back together?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:30 pm 

I have a manual however can not upload it because it's a PDF file.
I might be able to email it to you if you like.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:24 pm 

MK1402 wrote:
I have a manual however can not upload it because it's a PDF file.
I might be able to email it to you if you like.

If you can email it to me that would be great, I'll pm you my email address.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:32 am 

I used a flange sealer which repco sells a locktite dear tube and supercheap a cheaper alternative, it's red strawberry jam looking stuff. As for the manual the guy could upload to Dropbox and send you the link address.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:31 am 

Hi everyone, thanks so much for all advice, and a huge thanks to MK1402 for the manual, it has been a life saver, I can't thank him enough. Happy to say the gearbox is back together and back in the car, in fact everything is back together.
There is no noise after replacing the inputshaft bearings and everything is running fantastically.

So the last part of this exercise is the clutch cable. Now with the new clutch came a technical bulliten. It states that the throw out bearing stroke does not exceed 8mm as it will cause overstroking (bearing hitting the clutch plate). Optimum is 6-7mm. Has anyone encountered this?
Know how to install the clutch cable to ensure this doesn't happen and where these measurements are taken from?
It was overstroking in the past as made evident by the wearing on the running surface.
If anyone can help with advice on properly installing the clutch cable so it won't overstroke I would be really great full. I've not had any experience with clutch cables before so it is new ground for me and is slightly driving me insane.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:09 am 

Additionally I would like to clarify the misconception about the end plate and screws for the 5th and reverse gears. The plate thickness and material is not the issue! So people saying that new ones from Suzuki are some how "different from original" are mistaken.
The screws for all intents and purposes are "fine" as well.
The problem lies with the "special" coating on the screws that is essentially a thread locker.
Now being Phillips head screws on the g16b gearbox, means they are not a high torque screw.
Upon dismantling the gearbox I actually noticed that half the screws were loose/ really easy to remove.
So this means that the coating was either inadequate from factory or degraded over time.
This means that due to vibration outside of "normal" conditions can lead to these screw coming loose.
The loosening of these screws then results in excessive movement of either or both the input shaft and countershaft resulting in warping of the plate and worse case, shearing the screws.

Now having said that, I did price the replacement screws from Suzuki.
They are $12 a pop, so $72. NOPE! Was my response.

So I got some appropriate high tensile internal renching screws (Allen key) that are rated higher than the originals. Further more they gave them to me for free!
Then I spent $18 dollars on a descent appropriate thread locking compound for installation. This will serve as a better and stronger alternative to getting replacements from Suzuki.

I hope this helps anyone else looking to do gearbox work on there Baleno.

Cheers