It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:46 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: AWD Baleno?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:02 pm 

your thoughts guys.

i'v been tossing up with the idea a lot lately. had the car up on a hoist and checked it out a few times lately too. i have a custom turbo kit fitted with i'm guessing 140FWKWS roughly. . . my gearbox lasted 6 months. i bought an AWD swift the other day (not a cultus) for $800 because these are a much stronger gearbox than sandard and will hold my desired power. it will cost me 2500 to fit it and never worry about gearbox problems again. now. the swift also has the rear diff. there is a tunnel under the car, but not sure how to squeeze the exhaust through. and the fuel tank can be modded. and apparently because i have the whole rear sub frane from the swift, that can possibly be welded in. . would be a pretty sick ride too. .

it'd be a lot of money, but there is close to $28,000 invested in my car already. whats another $10,000? LOL and with a bit more power, i'd LOVE to launch off and leave a GTR in my mirror (a lot ambitious i know, but would be fun right?)

do you think it'd change my power out put much and my fuel consumption is outstading. will that change muh do you think? and what? and extra 100 kgs?

The other day when i broke my gearbox. earlier that day i went for a very spirited drive with a full tank. flogged 35kms around a sweeping road near my place running full 15 pounds and after that and a little more driving, when i hit 105kms on the dash i re filled and it clicked off at 5.4 litres. i squeezed with the tank over flowing, 7.2 litres lol. and my car isn't even runnig sequential injectors and is running at 7 to 1 fuel ratio on idle, so that can help things lol. imagine if i got those problems sorted haha. i could be looking at reliable 6 litres per 100km figures!!! i could do 100kms per hour while a V8 idles and still get better fule consumption =D> =D> . and that is why i bought and did my baleno lol

anyway. girlfriend calling me to bed. . let me know guys. 8)

Cheers,
Dane

Post subject: Re: AWD Baleno?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:41 am 

If you check your owners manual you'll notice that a Baleno 4WD was an option (in European markets). I'd be inclined to do some research and find out if you could source those parts, rather than trying to fit a sedan driveline.

End of the day, unless you planned on locking the viscous coupling then adding the sedan AWD system won't gain you any real advantage. That particular system was only designed for traction once the front end gets loose - I guess more of an advantage in safety, not performance.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:17 am 

just not sure if it's worth the effort dude.

lock the viscous and you'll be going through transfer cases... The C39A GVR4 suffered that.. no centre slipper, no centre diff, just a solid T-case from factory.. Same problem the Evo3 having as well.

by the end of the day, it'd still be a $**** car with $***** worth of parts and labor fitted to it.

And as per YLD80Y mentioned, how easy can u source the parts if something is broken. This is 1 important aspect to keep u in the game. Nothing is without fault(s).

you'll need to move the steering rack higher to clear the T-case, a different front subframe is necessary, a lot of cutting, welding, n lining things up. Unless you're as commited as DMWdave is to his Swift AWD project, i doubt it's going to be worth it.

I did an AWD swap into an FU12 pintara ages ago, using parts off HNU12 bluebird.. The headache is in making sure everything lines up. Off the line traction is as expected, but mid-corner was just so-so since it's more of a system designed for safety, rather than all out traction. And races are won in the corners.

markymark wrote:
f**k me that is expensive, but cool.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:48 am 

yeh, good thoughts guys. i know it'd be a lot of work, but i was going to have an AWD gearbox in, so would just need rear diff. but your right. would be a lot of $$$$$ and good point about re sourcing stuff if breakages occure. . . .WHEN breakages occure lol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:32 pm 

Are you sure those fuel figures are realistic with your set up...I have a practically stock GTX aside from exhaust and K&N panel filter and wheels well tuned and maintained. And with a full tank driving like a nanna with no extra weight in the car I have amazing difficulty getting under 7L/100km average about 8L/100km at best.

I have a hard time believing a turbo set up with a bit of right peddle love can get 7L/100km :|

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:51 pm 

yeh, i was amazed too. but i can drive hard and get constant low 7's per hundred quite regularly if ignition working well. i can tell if my sparkplugs are worn. if your in sydney, i will take you for a drive and prove it one day lol. my girlfriends GTX got low 7's when we first got it. now runs in the 8s. my turbo is actually cheaper. i can on average get 550kms to a tank and maby squeeze 40 litres in when filling. do the math. . thats about 7.2

when i got the car it ran 16s. it was running 550cc injectors (now 440 i think, evo items) a VERY coarse tune and the first EMS computer to come out. and engine blowing smoke due to worn rings.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:54 pm 

How odd...hell that's even lower then the specs in the Suzuki handbook...since when does a car perform better then stated fuel figures!? lol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:42 pm 

i know LOL and power to boot too :) i want to get my idle mixtures down by getting a rising rate fuel pressure reg and get my tuner to setup sequential like he should have, but i cant be bothered lol.