It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:33 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Importing Swift Gti to Australia
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:48 pm 

Title says most, but what I want to know if you can import GTis to Australia from Japan, specifically MK1s because they are becoming scarce.

If it is possible, where are people selling them in Japan? What websites are good to look on for that?

Post subject: Re: Importing Swift Gti to Australia
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:03 pm 

The import laws are in the process of changing as we no longer have a car industry to protect so things may change in this regard but as the law stands at the moment you are NOT allowed to import any car that has ever been sold new in Australia, eg..Swift GTi.. There is a list on the RAWS site of cars you are allowed to import. The only exception to this rule is if the car is for dedicated track use only for which you need a permit, or, if you get it half cut in Japan.. That involves cutting the car in half, usually just to the rear of the steering wheel and down through the windscreen. The other bits can accompany the front cut.. eg..doors tailgate rear suspension and brakes etc. .

Last edited by Toomanycars on Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:20 am 

Thanks so much for your lengthy reply! It sounds like quite a complicated process. What about the infamous AWD Cultus? Is that technically the same as a swift (It was never sold here). Does rebadging get around this (Eg Subie Justy).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:40 am 

You must check "rams" before you do anything..You would also need to find a compliance workshop that has an "evidence package" for that particular car.. So the plan would be, check rams for type of car you want, find a compliance workshop that is "certified" to do that car, then sus out import approval for that car for you. Find a Japanese agent to find the car for you. These guys have access to all of the 140 auction houses in Japan and for a fee will find the car, bid to your max bid, then organize FOB (freight on board) .. So , they find and buy the car and put it on a boat to your closest port... Then you find an "Import agent" here and give them the freight details provided to you by your Japanese agent. The import agent will get the car off the boat and sort out all the taxes, inspections and put it on a car transported to be taken to the compliance workshop of your choice. The Comp workshop will do whatever to get the car "compliant" to Australian safety standards, get a RWC Safety certificate and fit compulsory new tyres of your choice... To be honest it will not be worth while... besides the price of the car all this other stuff is going to cost $5k-$6K ..

Last edited by Toomanycars on Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:07 pm 

Unfortunately the only way you'll get a Swift/Cultus/Justy into the country is as a personal import or in pieces. Also there are likely to be more MK1 GTIs on the road in Australia than Japan!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:34 pm 

You can still find Mk1 here in NZ, there is a beaut one being driven by an old lady in my area, its red too!

Might be easier to come here and source one and have it sent back?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:10 pm 

Most people outside of Australia regard it as the place to buy mk1 parts as we still have them on the road and we got more than many other places. But they are getting harder to find the world over

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:08 am 

Just gonna you warn you I'm biased to importing from the USA, but the best experiences and cars I've bought have been from there. You can find an affordable and well-functioning car in the USA if you have patience, and then deal with a manageable waiting time and mostly effortless process. The American shipping companies are much easier to communicate with, and that generally provides a better and faster service. If I can offer a recommendation, I'd say https://www.wcshipping.com/australia just because I've used them so much in the past.

If you are, however, hurting for money and the better deal is elsewhere, go for it. If you find a company that has you satisfied, let me know because Japanese-specific imports have always interested me but I couldn't be asked to deal with the shipping again.