It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:23 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: MK1 Suspension
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:22 pm 

I apologize if I have missed a post on this already by searching.

So guys, I am looking to upgrade my MK1 Swift (1988 Holden Barina) suspension (the idea would be King Spring lows (Not super lows), and Koni adjustable Coilovers).

My question is, where have you guys ordered them from, and more importantly, could I get some product codes/links to stuff that is proven to fit?

Sorry if this is a bit vague, but I'm also open to suggestions. I have never done suspension before so I don't know what to measure, etc or what fits, particularly with shock absorbers.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: MK1 Suspension
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:56 am 

Hi mate welcome to the forum, adjustable coilovers for a mk1 are very rare and Koni no longer make mk1 shocks. Unfortunately as mk1's have died off so has the parts for them. You can still get the king springs from ebay etc just make sure they are progressive rate ones so that the rears stay captured on the axle at full extension.

If you want some info on things check out the Tech - FAQ on here as there are a few Mk1 specific threads in there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:26 pm 

Hey mate, welcome.

I have a Mk1 Gti also so I know how hard it can be to get parts. Upgrading the suspension is something I have yet to look into beyond doing urethane bushes all around. I would like to re-do the front shocks and coils, but without some modification, there is little I can do as far as I know.

I have lots of info on these cars, so ask away if you need anything.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:42 pm 

DatAtlas wrote:
So guys, I am looking to upgrade my MK1 Swift (1988 Holden Barina) suspension (the idea would be King Spring lows (Not super lows), and Koni adjustable Coilovers).

You're describing two different things. Off the shelf low King Springs (KSFL12) are made to fit standard mcpherson strut bodies. If you want to fit coilovers then you will need custom made springs (smaller diameter). King Springs can still help you out there, but you need to give them all of the specs to suit your specific application.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:28 am 

I've had my Mk1 for 20 years now and had the suspension done early in that time. I actually raised mine rather than lower it as my car has been used many times through the Top End/Gulf and I needed the clearance across rivers, sand and washaways. I got the springs custom made at K-Mac Suspension and to date, they have never faulted. I run KYB Excell gas struts at the front which are also great, but over time don't survive thousands of kays of dirt corrugations and they start to bleed (wouldn't be an issue on the black-top).

I've also replaced the sway-bar mounts with urethane ones (instant improvement) but nothing else with urethane as it seems to handle okay with what I've done.

So, good custom-made springs are the way to go imo - I'd forget about coil-overs in a car that old.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:13 am 

Tassie_mk1 wrote:
Hi mate welcome to the forum, adjustable coilovers for a mk1 are very rare and Koni no longer make mk1 shocks. Unfortunately as mk1's have died off so has the parts for them. You can still get the king springs from ebay etc just make sure they are progressive rate ones so that the rears stay captured on the axle at full extension.

If you want some info on things check out the Tech - FAQ on here as there are a few Mk1 specific threads in there.

Good tips man, thanks! We'll work on a Mk1 soon right after we finished installing the new rack on the truck project for kayak mount. We'll check the King springs and the faq thread.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:52 pm 

[YLD80Y] wrote:
DatAtlas wrote:

You're describing two different things. Off the shelf low King Springs (KSFL12) are made to fit standard mcpherson strut bodies. If you want to fit coilovers then you will need custom made springs (smaller diameter). King Springs can still help you out there, but you need to give them all of the specs to suit your specific application.

My mistake, I meant to say Koni shock absorbers (not coilovers). Do they make specific ones that fit MK1s?

Thanks for all your replies everyone, I am still considering this.

Edit: you provided the code KSFL12, are they for front only or do they suit the rear as well?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:57 pm 

Rear is KSRL11 from memory. I don't think Koni make adjustable struts to suit MK1 Swifts any more. You might be stuck with OEM units from KYB, AC/Delco, etc.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:24 pm 

[YLD80Y] wrote:
Rear is KSRL11 from memory. I don't think Koni make adjustable struts to suit MK1 Swifts any more. You might be stuck with OEM units from KYB, AC/Delco, etc.

A quick search on eBay provides quite a few choices but I am not really sure what I am after. If Koni no longer makes them for MK1, what alternate brands are recommended?

https://www.ebay.com.au/b/Shocks-Struts ... 7000862441

I am lowering the car slightly, but the wheels already stick out past the fenders (Which is why I have flares on). They scrape for a split second at the moment when going over big dips in the road, I presume because they still have the old, sad shock absorbers on.

I would like to lower the car slightly with having MUCH stiffer shock absorbers so there is no scrape. Will new springs and shocks achieve this? Or will I need to grind off the excess fender behind the flare (Or roll it right up at the very least)?

Also, can someone explain the advantages of poly bushes and how long it takes?

Sorry to drag this thread on. Thanks so much, everyone!

Attachments:
MK1 Barina.jpg
MK1 Barina.jpg [ 65.54 KiB | Viewed 3087 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 2:46 pm 

Hi mate,

Suspension is always a fun area of the car to change, as when you change one aspect, you affect more than you think.

What size are the wheels on your car? If they are bigger diameter than standard then you might need to look at extending the bump stops, to stop the tire hitting the inner fender. (I'm going to 15 inch on my Mk1 eventually so I have that to get around)

Changing the ride height usually involves changing the spring so you get a shorter and stiffer spring. This limits your travel. Go too stiff with your springs and the ride will be awful, so hard that it will not be that comfortable.

Poly bushes, again something I am going to do, it will limit the amount of body flex in the suspension setup. Something that is worthwhile doing if you want a go-kart feeling car.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:05 am 

DatAtlas wrote:
I am lowering the car slightly, but the wheels already stick out past the fenders (Which is why I have flares on). They scrape for a split second at the moment when going over big dips in the road, I presume because they still have the old, sad shock absorbers on.

More likely because the wheels are too wide and the wrong offset, judging by the pictures. Lowering will only make the problem worse.