It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:36 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: MK3 Troubleshooting
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:55 am 

Hey guys so I know that this isn't very specific but perhaps it's a common issue. I previously had the issue of the engine cutting out after quick throttle. After changing the ignition module, leads and spark plugs. It turned out to be a carboned up o2 sensor. After a clean it revs really well and all power returned.

A few days after I noticed it struggling under load (Hills etc.), before it started consistently bogging and then dying up even slight hills. Starting the motor again I can go up the hill fine till the next hill.

Is this a common issue? What should I look into first? I have a fuel filter ready to change but I'm not sure if that is going to make a difference.

Post subject: Re: MK3 Troubleshooting
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:10 pm 

Im going to go with a dodgy Throttle Position Sensor. Try calibrating it first.

When you have to turn the car off then it works fine for a while after restarting everything, it is usually an electrical issue.

Just so we are clear, when you say quick throttle, you mean accelerator to Wide Open then backing off? A slow backoff or fast? Slow acceleration to WOT or fast?

Also worth checking the MAF is within spec and clean.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:03 pm 

Perhaps do that filter as well. Fuel starvation will cause those symptoms too. Pull your fuel return line off and add fuel line to the return. Stick it in a measuring container. Jump the fuel pump relay. Run the ignition and measure the fuel out of the return line. When I did this I had no fuel from the return line and my fuel pump was stuffed. Filter probably never changed too. I would eliminate fuel starvation as a possible issue.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:36 pm 

+1 for swift12

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:17 pm 

Howsie13 wrote:
Im going to go with a dodgy Throttle Position Sensor. Try calibrating it first.

When you have to turn the car off then it works fine for a while after restarting everything, it is usually an electrical issue.

Just so we are clear, when you say quick throttle, you mean accelerator to Wide Open then backing off? A slow backoff or fast? Slow acceleration to WOT or fast?

Also worth checking the MAF is within spec and clean.

swift12 wrote:
Perhaps do that filter as well. Fuel starvation will cause those symptoms too. Pull your fuel return line off and add fuel line to the return. Stick it in a measuring container. Jump the fuel pump relay. Run the ignition and measure the fuel out of the return line. When I did this I had no fuel from the return line and my fuel pump was stuffed. Filter probably never changed too. I would eliminate fuel starvation as a possible issue.

Thanks for your replies! I've changed the fuel filter and it was so filthy. I've put injector cleaner through it and it runs way better. Still occasionally bogs round hard corners, but that's another issue.

The last thing I need (until the next thing), is a new starter motor. Repco is saying this one will fit. Can anyone confirm?

https://www.repco.com.au/en/brands/oex/ ... p/A9366067

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:37 am 

Looks so to me!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:14 pm 

Yeap, looks like it. What happened to your old one?