It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:35 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Mk2 GTi manifold hacked to reverse manifold
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:00 am 

OK, probably a dumb question, so let me phrase it so...

Anyone sliced open a gti manifold and looked inside to see if you can cut and weld into a reverse one without tragically affecting performance (it would have to have symmetrical geometry in the inlet chamber for this to work reasonably well)?

Post subject: Re: Mk2 GTi manifold hacked to reverse manifold
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:55 am 

Why not find a Mk 1 Reverse Intake with MAF and Throttle Body incorporated. Rare but they are out there. Is yours LHD or RHD?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:07 am 

+1 on finding a factory reverse manifold. I know of one for sale (Mk1 GrpA) for a reasonable price too which is good timing for you as they don't often come up. Plus with this one you get a HP increase from a much better flowing intake :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:16 am 

For the simple reason that they are, as you mention rare as f***, especially over here, not comfortable spending cash with unknowns 20k mikes away, plus maybe I can save some cash.

Still, interested though. Thanks for the heads up.

Dropping a G13B in a mini, so size matters. Can you tell me if Mk1 grpA manifold is bigger or smaller than the mk2? I understand generally speaking the mk1 is smaller than the mk2, though this may be the standard version. With the current mk2 manifold I must make an angled plate between the manifold and the cylinder head to clear the bulkhead.

2nd option is to go itbs but that's more custom work..

If you don't mind dropping me some no nonsense details for that mk1 manifokd that would be a sweet start :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:01 pm 

The mk1 Grp A manifold has shorter wider runner than any other and is know to be the best performing g13b factory manifold but a good distance. I run one on my turbo mk3 and have also fitted one to an NA car for noticable gains on both. If you look at my old build thread "Project Ugly Duckling " you will see I pit it side by side on a few angles with my stock mk3 manifold for comparison.

I can PM you details and photos of the manifold that is for sale if you like.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:18 am 

just fyi the reverse manifold is from cultus gti 1987.5 just before they release the mk2 with round tubular runners, i have a factory part manual here and it is listed as a oem part, i found an add from suzuki on youtube in japanese that promotes the 1987.5 version with little more horsepower than the mk1 97hp , i will try to dig it out again

edit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdmFmSX8AXo