It is currently Fri May 29, 2020 6:14 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Fastest way to 100kw with a Iggy?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:37 pm 

Ok I got my Iggy and I am very impressed! WOW!. I was a bit worried at the start with only 83kw. When I test drove with 3 ppl in the car it seemed a bit laggy, but with only me in it delivers quite a punch. I think my really happy figure would be 100kw and I was wondering what would be the quickest way to this?. extractors chips etc??

anyone got dyno figures close to 100kw?

Cars I have owned before this are
100kw GTi Corolla Import = (loved it to bits literally)
Proton GTi = (http://www.protongtiforums.com = my site) pos with potential
LX Micra = Bang for buck bargains
Suzuki Ignis sport = hands down favorite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:51 pm 

Extractors, exhaust system, and an aftermarket ECU to open up the VVT and rev limiter. That should get you close to your target.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:58 pm 

cool, anyone done this?? and got to 100kw?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:31 pm 

Super1600 wrote:
cool, anyone done this?? and got to 100kw?

Good luck,i made a few enquiries in melbourne and all hit a brick wall.Nobody has done any.
I put on a custom muffler and 2" tailpipe and use vpower 100 ron and for what it is it goes great,excellent throttle response and embarrases a few big 6's through tight bends.
In 1 of the threads the s/charger kit would be the go if your serious and want to burn some money,otherwise just enjoy it for what it is.
I think there are better platforms in cars to chose from if you want to go mod crazy,ignis isnt one of them....imo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:46 pm 

With high compression and VVT there's no reason an Iggy Sport couldn't be a 4-pot screamer! But yes, finding people in the know is the problem.

I think finding an aftermarket ECU that can work with the VVT more effectively is the ticket.

If all else fails and you have deep pockets, just raid http://www.suzukisport.com for go-fast bits. (and yes I mean the Japanese version, not the aussie business.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:58 am 

its not very difficult.

1. cold air intake (suzukisport is best it seems, but BMC CDA good too)
2. good cat-back exhaust
3. heatwrapped extractors
4. 4mm bored throttle body and larger butterfly valve
5. piggyback computer (Apexi SAFC II)

This should be about 100kw there. I have to do number 4 and 5 still. I am working towards:

6. individul throttle bodies
7. swift sport higher lift camshafts
8. possibly a stroker...

Shiraz

BNR34 GTR V-Spec

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:41 pm 

Quote:
3. heatwrapped extractors

From Suzuki sport???

Quote:
100kw GTi Corolla Import = (loved it to bits literally)
Proton GTi = (http://www.protongtiforums.com = my site) pos with potential
LX Micra = Bang for buck bargains
Suzuki Ignis sport = hands down favorite

How many headers on each of these did you mangle???
Oh and mangle not through driving, just through ware? Dont heat wrap just f-- the header up by getting the steel to hot??? hence rendering your engine bay unstable(due to posible naked flamness) after torchering the engine for a while?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:30 pm 

Bush Pig wrote:
Quote:
Dont heat wrap just f-- the header up by getting the steel to hot??? hence rendering your engine bay unstable(due to posible naked flamness) after torchering the engine for a while?

By my (poor) knowledge of thermodynamics, the intense flow of exhaust gases would push all of the heat through the exhaust system and out the rear of the car, rather than having it all build up in the extractors until they melt.

I'd think a heatwrap would 'redirect' the heat more than contain it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:55 pm 

Yes redirect some if not the absolute majority, but, what thermowrap actualy does is... Stop the heat from exiting the headers exterior. Right, so the steel headers still heat up just the heat hits the wrap and the wrap contains the heat... Therefore, An increace in material heat is obiously extreme above what would normaly occur?... catch the drift???

If not a ceramic coat actualy protects the steel from extreme heat (from within the interior of the header) by resisting the amount of heat it can take( the rest goes down the exshaust )??????? :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:50 pm 

phr34ky actually have my old extractor which is heat wrapped, the material used is not stell, i use stainess steel alloy, it have a higher melting point, and it have a high flow cat, so the heat don't stay in the extractor for long, it go out from teh exhuast very quickly, heat wrap is to keep the engine bay cooler, keeping the exhaust heat away from the intake air, the standard extractor have a shield that keep the heat away from going to the top of the engine bay. the standard is a short smal 4-1 extractor (only 25-30cm long and 1.5inch wide) then is the cat (jsut standard cat), it will create so much back pressure that it will heat up even more. so heat wrapping is rady depend on what kind of extractor and cat you have.......... the end of phr34ky exhuast should be very hot even when the car is at start in idle and haven't been driven... that mean the hot air is getting out very easily. so i ready don't think is will MELT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:55 pm 

Number of reasons why we would heatwrap...

1. Increase exhaust gas temperature which equates to greater exhaust gas velocity
2. Reduce engine bay temperatures. Reduced heatsoak equates to better overall engine performance (MORE POWER)

The only concern with heatwrapping extractors is that they affect the expansion and contraction of the steel (stainless or mild) due to uneven retention of moisture. Corrosion itself is increased due to retention of moisure. I think premature cracking due to the uneven expansion and contraction rates is the main problem.

If the extractors are not too thin-walled then you will be fine wrapping them.

Ideally we could achieve the benefits of heatwrapping by ceramic coating (i.e. JETHOT or similar), but this is more expensive. It has less disadvantages though...

BNR34 GTR V-Spec

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:53 pm 

Quote:
Ideally we could achieve the benefits of heatwrapping by ceramic coating (i.e. JETHOT or similar), but this is more expensive. It has less disadvantages though...

It has less disadvantages though

What do you guy's think I was tryin to say??? "Premature header falure"

Everyone be wary... You will shorten the life of your headers/extractors by heat wrapping them... This is absolutly 100% fact.

If you want them to last the distance and your car is something you want to get you around over the long term either be happy with what you got or opt for the ceramic coat.

So the heat wrap cost is minimal. Extractor replacment times are decreaced. And the overall cost compared to ceramic coatings will eventualy even itself out? :roll:

:shock:

I laughed at this.
Quote:
phr34ky actually have my old extractor which is heat wrapped, the material used is not stell, i use stainess steel alloy

Thats like sayin' my dogs not a dog? It's a German Shepard???

Last edited by Bush Pig on Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:58 am 

so you coming for he BBQ this sunday..... and also gokart, you don't have to gokart, but at lest come for the BBq, and meet some suzuki guy... more info will be in the cruise and event section

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:52 pm 

Are you talkin to me???

If you are, Sunday is very soon so you should clarify that!

Go karts, I don't get upset when people actualy beat me... I will let you carry an ego for a while...

The only f---d thig is... ( for Great Ocean Road" cheers Dynomite Performance!") my neat an proven Suzuki (mk 2 gti custom) is a sitting duck without a gearbox??? But we ave a mk 1 so you never know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:04 pm 

Bush Pig wrote:
Are you talkin to me???

If you are, Sunday is very soon so you should clarify that!

Go karts, I don't get upset when people actualy beat me... I will let you carry an ego for a while...

The only f---d thig is... ( for Great Ocean Road" cheers Dynomite Performance!") my neat an proven Suzuki (mk 2 gti custom) is a sitting duck without a gearbox??? But we ave a mk 1 so you never know?

Bro I don't know what's gotten to you man... i don't think anyone was having a go at you but if you insist...

I never said that the heat wrapping will not shorten the life of the extractor. I simply stated that from my experience with them there are more issues relating to cracking due to moisture retention.

If you don't want to heat wrap then don't. All I did was put out some of that general info for general consumption. No one said you were wrong about premature header failure mate so please take it easy... don't blow a gasket...

BNR34 GTR V-Spec

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:31 am 

Nuff said...

I did'nt think anyone was havin a go?

Your information is valid... but I thought the info lacked a little on the tek side so I ran a few more comments through, Regarding heat wrap.

All of witch are valid. So now no one dosn't know heat wrap leads to premature header falure.

So I believe that the post you made became complete advice when I contributed what I have.

Now people can make a choice in witch method of thermo resistance by using acurate judgement. Hopfully rendering them content with the direction they choose to take.

Bush Pig.

No ofence taken. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:44 pm 

typically with WRXs we would ceramic coat AND heatwrap the extractors too :)

cheers mate

BNR34 GTR V-Spec

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:58 pm 

Ha,ha,ha,ha... Now were talking the real deal.

new set of rules for this one....
Quote:
typically with WRXs we would ceramic coat AND heatwrap the extractors too

Everybody listening?

A task like this is an absolutly perfect contribution/ mod to any car.

The ceramic coat protects the metal composition from extreame heat from the inside, whilst also protecting it from the exterior. Therefore the adition of thermowrap in this circumstance would have limited to none, negative affects on the header.

The positive affects however.... will be a cooler bay temp among others. Basically the ideal way to make your extra killowatts. \:D/ :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D \:D/

Aigh Suzisport... You would ceramic coat the intake manifold too right. 8-[

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:51 pm 

The benefits would not be anywhere near as much as coating the exhaust manifold... and the cost is probably not justified.

Since the exhaust ports are the main source of heat in the engine bay, if this is restricted then I don't see the real need for coating the manifold... especially since its made of some sort of plastic/resin which doesn't conduct heat very well anyway...

BNR34 GTR V-Spec

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:30 pm 

heatwrapping a cast iron exaust manifold has next to no detrimental effects, except rusting due to moisture, which would be negated with frequent use (heat drying the wrap out). Cast iron is also used for turbo "hot" sides because of its ability to withstand massive amounts of heat, so extrude honing a decent stock manifold and wrapping that, could yield an impressive reduction in heat output.