It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:54 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: 05 Swift Double Din DVD/GPS/Bluetooth/Reverse Camera,etc
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:49 pm 

nomad71 wrote:
Hi Haribolman,

Great post from you. You seem to really have done your homework. Now a month on, I'm wondering how things are travelling with your unit. Still happy?

Any other feedback would be greatly appreciated.

There were a couple of things with this unit that I was wondering.
1. Does it have text to speech for the GPS?
2. Is there a night mode for the maps (where the maps are displayed with a dark background)?

Appreciate your help.
Cheers.

Has it only been a month? Three, actually!

Yes, I'm still happy with the Polaris. It works very well. I only have a few minor niggles, that I think I've previously mentioned.

There seems to be no way to get "repeat" to stay on. Each time you start the car, the system boots up and defaults back to "repeat" off. So you get to the end of your CD, DVD or SD card and the music stops and you're wondering why...and then you remember that it won't automatically repeat unless you've turned it back on again! Arrgghh!

And the screen can wash out in strong sunlight. This is a limitation of many LCD screens...I much prefer Plasma!

If I were doing it again I'd buy the same unit, but I'd buy the Caska version and save $500! Someone else on this forum has installed the Caska (with a bit of help from me of course!) and is very happy with it. Same unit, different name, much cheaper!

To answer your other questions:
1. The GPS has spoken commands, available in different languages, which usually tell you how far to the next street. Street names are not usually given, rather it is the road designation, such as "M1". The Polaris can run the GPS screen displayed with your CD,DVD or TV sound running in the background and any GPS commands will simply interupt the music being played! It can also be set to run in the background, with the screen only displayed when commands are given.

And if you have your phone bluetoothed through the Polaris, it will overide everything when it rings and you can then talk very effectively with the caller's voice coming through your speakers. This multi-tasking works very well.

2. Yes, there is day mode, night mode and auto. For some reason auto tends to leave my unit in night mode until late morning...must be sleepy! Or perhaps my tinted windows effect it!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:22 pm 

Excellent! Thanks for getting back to me so soon and so thoroughly. I've got a cheapie China job that seems to have lost its GPS functionality. Everything else works fine but the GPS just gets a blue screen. Searched around a lot for an answer and also consulted some installers but without success. I think the best thing to do might be to cut my losses and replace the unit with a Caska. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:11 pm 

Haribolman wrote:
2. Yes, there is day mode, night mode and auto. For some reason auto tends to leave my unit in night mode until late morning...

I think in auto mode it adjusts itself according to the time of the day.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:43 am 

k3vink3vin wrote:
Haribolman wrote:
2. Yes, there is day mode, night mode and auto. For some reason auto tends to leave my unit in night mode until late morning...

I think in auto mode it adjusts itself according to the time of the day.

Yes, but when I'm in auto mode, it doesn't switch back from night mode to day mode until close to lunchtime! So if I'm driving the car in the morning I switch it manually to day mode.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:15 pm 

Hi Haribolman,

I can vouch for the Caska, as I am the one that Hari helped! I would have been stuffed without him :D Did you get the tv tuner installed?

I think the unit is great...makes me wonder why similar units are so much more expensive?? I purchased it for $750 ish including delivery. The only problem I had initially was the map software that came with the Caska. It worked fine and done what was expected, but wasnt the easiest to use and wasnt too pretty. And the voice guidance was a Kiwi female voice!! It had to go.

I contacted Polaris and purchased the whereis mapping software and am really pleased with it...very intuitive, great colours and a lovely voice.

I dont have the problem with the repeat as I use my wonderful IPOD :lol: with almost 20 GB of music rangeing from Frank Sinatra to Rave/Techno.

I replaced the front speakers with Cadence Components and the sound difference is incredable. I disconnected the rear speakers altogether. I also sound deadened the front doors with Dynamat. The improvement in sound is excellent, and I also like the heavier "clunk" when I close the doors as it makes the car feel more solid and less tinny.

Scheduled to arrive in a couple of weeks is a Rockford Fosgate 4 channel punch amp and a slimline 10 inch woofer for the boot. Looking forward to getting that installed, and I might even sound deaden the boot and rear doors too.

Other than that, the car is completely stock. I wouldnt mind some 17 inch alloys but cand find any that I really like. I have seen the Fox alloys on this forum but dont know where to get them from...anyone?

Cheers

Eicarsto

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:29 pm 

eicarsto wrote:
Hi Haribolman,

Did you get the tv tuner installed?

You must have missed my post about installing the tuner...it's about 6 before this one.

I want to thank you for the tuner, it really works well. I bought a windscreen antenna from ebay for $27 and I really didn't expect it to work so well! Had a mate sitting in the car the other night and I showed him the TV and he was blown away! He said "You've got everything here, you could live in this car."!

Hey, did the Caska dealer happen to mention whether he can get the tyre pressure monitor module? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:45 pm 

I asked about the tyre pressure monitor and he said that the car had to have it installed already. It then basically piggy backs from the existing sensors. Caska are now making the audio units for Audi A6l and cost approx $7 - $8000 to have installed!!!!!!!!

http://www.coagent.cn/view_pro.php?id=25

The days of cheap n nasty chinese junk are starting to dissappear which is excellent for normal enthusiasts like ourselves.

eicarsto

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:52 pm 

eicarsto wrote:
I asked about the tyre pressure monitor and he said that the car had to have it installed already. It then basically piggy backs from the existing sensors.

So do you think that means if I install an aftermarket sensor kit (like the very nice one I saw at Jaycar for around $400) that the Caska/Polaris will wire in with it and then display on it's screen?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:13 pm 

Hi Guys, Sorry to but into your conversation. But further to my questions earlier, do you know if text to speech (ie. reading street names) is a function of the GPS Hardware or a function of the Mapping Software? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:21 pm 

nomad71 wrote:
Hi Guys, Sorry to but into your conversation. But further to my questions earlier, do you know if text to speech (ie. reading street names) is a function of the GPS Hardware or a function of the Mapping Software? Thanks.

I would reckon it was part of the software...GPS hardware is very basic in what it does...the clever bits are the software.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:57 pm 

nomad71 wrote:

For an in-depth discusion on modifiying the Polaris GPS software, read this thread..especially from about page 8. http://www.pradopoint.com/viewtopic.php?t=2538&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:11 pm 

Hi Hari,

I rang Efrontier today and they reckon they are not supplying the Caska unit in Australia as they are having trouble with the mapping software. The reason given was that NZ being a smaller country has smaller map data, but the Aus map data is too big for the unit????

Obviously, you're not having any trouble with the Aus maps on the Polaris unit. What maps are you running? If the two units are identical, I can't see any reason why the Caska unit wouldn't work in Australia.

I told him I'd contact you and get back to him. He's happy to supply it to me without maps if I want.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:48 pm 

nomad71 wrote:
Hi Hari,

I rang Efrontier today and they reckon they are not supplying the Caska unit in Australia as they are having trouble with the mapping software. The reason given was that NZ being a smaller country has smaller map data, but the Aus map data is too big for the unit????

Obviously, you're not having any trouble with the Aus maps on the Polaris unit. What maps are you running? If the two units are identical, I can't see any reason why the Caska unit wouldn't work in Australia.

I told him I'd contact you and get back to him. He's happy to supply it to me without maps if I want.

Thanks.

The Polaris is running the latest "whereis" map V14, pre-installed on an SD card. This is the same map that eicarsto installed on his Caska, as mentioned by him a few posts ago.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:47 pm 

Hi Guys,

Well my Caska unit arrived and I had it installed at Dennings Car Audio. I've read the manual from start to finish and now I'm looking for some help on how to fine tune the unit.

1. I've switched the video system between NTSC/PAl and Multi but I don't think I can get it any better.

2. The day and night colour modes - are they only for the GPS? I found the night and black screen modes but the colours of the radio and menu, etc I don't think are adjustable.

3. eicarsto, the whereis V14 maps for the GPS, where did you get them?

4. Hari, where did you get the TV add on from? I'd like to add one to my system.

5. Also Hari, where did you find the menu for turning off the handbrake switch?

Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:27 pm 

Let me be the first to reply... :)

nomad71 wrote:
Hi Guys,

Well my Caska unit arrived and I had it installed at Dennings Car Audio. I've read the manual from start to finish and now I'm looking for some help on how to fine tune the unit.

1. I've switched the video system between NTSC/PAl and Multi but I don't think I can get it any better.

Are you saying you're not happy with the screen quality? I'll admit it's not the sharpest (I'm used to high quality Plasma with strong definition and contrast....I can't imagine LCD's will ever catch on!!! :lol: ) but I am surprised how well it displays a TV signal, and it's a pretty good display when using GPS.

Quote:

2. The day and night colour modes - are they only for the GPS? I found the night and black screen modes but the colours of the radio and menu, etc I don't think are adjustable.

The lower left button toggles the display between full light, dim and off screen. There's also an auto dim setting in the settings menu. You can also adjust the side buttons to display any colour on the colour palette. In addition, the GPS has day, night and auto modes for the display.

Quote:
3. eicarsto, the whereis V14 maps for the GPS, where did you get them?

The latest Sensis Whereis map is V15. I've just sent my SD card to Polaris to upgrade. Coast is $165. Eicarsto will have to answer as to whether it's easy to get a map from the Polaris people to work on the Caska, although I think that's what he did. The reason I'm not sure is because I believe the map has a code that allows it to not be copied and to only work on your particular unit.

Quote:

4. Hari, where did you get the TV add on from? I'd like to add one to my system.

TV came from Caska distributor, via Eicarsto. He didn't want it and I got it instead! Polaris do not sell them, I asked them this week.

Quote:
5. Also Hari, where did you find the menu for turning off the handbrake switch?

Go into AV, press top right of screen to display number menu. Enter 7253 then OK. Change the handbrake setting to "off". Then exit!

Quote:

Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:39 pm 

Hi Hari,

Thanks so much for getting back to me so soon and so thoroughly. The screen quality is OK, just a bit dark. I turned the brightness and contrast up to full but it didn't seem to make much of a difference. As you confirmed, the day, night and auto modes are for the GPS specifically.

I hope to sort out something with the maps very shortly (especially since I bought it mostly for the GPS). I've got an SD card for my crappy Chinese unit with Route 66 maps on it, but it doesn't seem to read them.

I'll have to get back on to the Caska distributor for a TV unit. I assume it plugs into the back of the unit or something like that behind the dash?

Thanks for the tip on the handbrake. It's a handy thing when you have the wife in the car on long trips. She can be watching a DVD while I drive (not for me to watch, that would be suicide).

Thanks again for all your help. Couldn't do it without you.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:06 pm 

nomad71 wrote:
Hi Hari,

Thanks so much for getting back to me so soon and so thoroughly. The screen quality is OK, just a bit dark.
That's the problem with LCD's, they don't have enough contrast to separate light from dark, hence why I prefer Plasma!

Quote:
I've got an SD card for my crappy Chinese unit with Route 66 maps on it, but it doesn't seem to read them.
Yes, it's my understanding that you have to have a special file on the card for the Caska/Polaris to read.

Quote:
I'll have to get back on to the Caska distributor for a TV unit. I assume it plugs into the back of the unit or something like that behind the dash?
Yes. the TV tuner plugs straight into the appropriate socket at the rear. It then has to be wired to turn on at the same time as your Caska (in other words, wired through the accessories). Finally, it needs an aerial to be connected and mounted either inside the windscreen or on the roof, depending on the type you buy.

Tell me, how much did it cost to get it professionally installed and did they wire up the steering wheel buttons? Also, any chance of seeing how it looks in your dash?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:36 pm 

Hi Hari,
Thanks for all that. It was $108 to install. Well worth it in my mind. A nightmare for me to try and do it. I can get you some pics but I need to fix the mounting of the unit. They didn't do a very good job of getting it in the right place. I don't have any steering wheel controls, so that didn't happen.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:13 am 

nomad71 wrote:
Hi Hari,
Thanks for all that. It was $108 to install. Well worth it in my mind. A nightmare for me to try and do it. I can get you some pics but I need to fix the mounting of the unit. They didn't do a very good job of getting it in the right place. I don't have any steering wheel controls, so that didn't happen.

Cheers

$108 seems a good price.

How come you don't have steering wheel controls? Is it not a Swift?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:13 pm 

Hi Hari,

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you. A hundred things happening at the moment. To answer your question, no it's not a Swift. I hope that doesn't offend anyone on this forum as I stumbled across your post while doing some research into Double Din GPS units.

After having the unit installed for a while I find it functions better than my cheap Chinese rubbish that I used to have, however, there are still a number of things I'm having issues with.

1. The colour scheme is almost impossible to see in the daylight. It's quite OK at night, but during the day I can't make out what the radio stations are that I've programmed in or read the digits on the phone dialer. This is not the screen's fault as it look pretty good with a DVD playing, but it's the colour scheme used in the interface (eg. Red on Black or grey on black).

2. I can't get my Ipod to work with the unit. Don't know if this has something to do with being one of the first models of Ipod. Plugs in OK and brings up the Ipod interface, but can't control the Ipod from the unit.

3. Would like to order the TV option for it but the installer told me it was 'blanked out' on the back of the unit. Not sure if he's telling me something accurate here.

4. I'd like to stop it from doing a startup check each time the car is started. Seems unnecessary to do this each time and means it takes a while to get going. Maybe there is something in one of those hidden menus. I don't know how you found this menu but I take my hat off to you.

Anyway, it's still a better unit than what I had and hopefully I can sort a few things out as it goes along. It would just be really good to change the colour scheme to something I could see in the daylight.

Thanks for all your help so far. Cheers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next