It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:18 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: The Green Machine
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:58 pm 

Been a member for a while, and thought it was about time I shared my ride with the group. It’s nothing special, and no race car by far, so it may bore the majority if you GTi guys but here she is anyway.

My first car was a white ’94 Geo Metro converted to RHD by the city of Los Angeles for parking enforcement. I bought it after it was retired and after a few private owners, and had it for a short while before she was totaled when a truck pulled out in front of me. I loved the RHD uniqueness, because we have very few RHD cars in the U.S.

After it was wrecked, I found my current car, a ’94 Geo Metro LSi. I wasn’t a big fan of the Polynesian green at first, but I like to be different, and the color has grown on me since. Because I think the stock Metro look is sad, I of course did what I did with my last car, and dressed it up with GTi body parts to spruce up its appearance. Luckily most of the body pieces were salvageable from my white car, and were swapped over making this car’s transformation go a lot quicker. I only lacked the Swift hood and upper bumper cap/grill, so I had to run the Geo parts for a bit longer.

Pictures of it at purchase:

The first night, I swapped on a set of GTi wheels and tail lights.

First item of business was to tend to the engine. It was shot, burned oil quickly and smoked real bad. I had a 1.0 motor bored +20 with Xfi cam and installed it into the car. I wish I could have dropped in a 1.3 twin cam, but it wasn’t in my budget, and the car was purchased to act as a commute car to save on fuel.

Next I was able to focus on the body, slowly adding bits to give it more ‘cool-points’ over a stock Metro. Side skirts, sway bars, mirrors, GT steering wheel, glass headlamps and clear corners, color-matched bumpers, GTi hood and front bumper and 7-spoke wheels.

I have purchased a few more goodies which I will install once I’m back home (working in the middle east). These parts include GTi rear upper spoiler, rear window glass with wiper, Firefly mid-wing, euro Swift tail lights and bumper cap, and GTi rear bumper.

Stay tuned for updates...

1994 LSi 'Green Machine'
'94 RHD (Totaled)

Last edited by 94RHDMetro on Thu May 04, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: The Green Machine
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:27 pm 

I thought you might have put turbo on to excite things up a little. I believe they are plentiful in USA.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:21 pm 

pictureshowman wrote:
I thought you might have put turbo on to excite things up a little. I believe they are plentiful in USA.

The thought has crossed my mind, but I have seen too many epic fails come from doing so. Maybe if it was just an extra toy.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:24 am 

Great build! It certainly has come a long way from when you got it! That headlight change alone makes the car look so much better IMHO! Great work. Hopefully you can get the car where you want it to be and enjoy what you have built. It doesn't have to be GTi spec or anything else for that matter so long as you have built what you want and enjoy it you've 100% got my respect on it! =D>

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:23 pm 

Tassie_mk1 wrote:
Great build! It certainly has come a long way from when you got it! That headlight change alone makes the car look so much better IMHO! Great work. Hopefully you can get the car where you want it to be and enjoy what you have built. It doesn't have to be GTi spec or anything else for that matter so long as you have built what you want and enjoy it you've 100% got my respect on it! =D>

Thanks. Yes, the OEM Metro headlamps are the thing I dislike the most, so a swap to the Swift fascia and glass lamps was a must. Unfortunately they didn't survive the wreck, so I had to procure a second set. Its almost where I want it. Just a few more things to get it there. I appreciate those here on the site who have helped me acquire some parts recently.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:46 pm 

pictureshowman wrote:

If you're talking about the factory Firefly G10AT engine, they're not common at all. A mate of mine was in the US for a year and looked hard for parts to bring home to Aus. Came back with a donut.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:29 am 

[YLD80Y] wrote:
pictureshowman wrote:

If you're talking about the factory Firefly G10AT engine, they're not common at all. A mate of mine was in the US for a year and looked hard for parts to bring home to Aus. Came back with a donut.

Yep, those north of our border are the lucky ones who have the Fireflys.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:23 pm 

Okay, how come everyone else's build thread has tiny thumbnails under the title, and mine doesn't. Can I just not see them because it's my topic?

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:57 pm 

94RHDMetro wrote:
Okay, how come everyone else's build thread has tiny thumbnails under the title, and mine doesn't. Can I just not see them because it's my topic?
Nope.

It's not just you. I can't see any either (?)

Cheers,

Drew

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:10 pm 

Those who have small thumbnails under the title uploaded their pictures as attachments.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:53 am 

Z GT-i wrote:
Those who have small thumbnails under the title uploaded their pictures as attachments.

Can confirm. Images linked from other sites aren't picked up as thumbnails.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:31 am 

Thanks for clarifying. Didn't realize they could be uploaded easily. most sites require hosting images elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:22 am 

External hosts have habit of disappearing or changing their paths, leaving lots of threads with missing images.
That's why admin added the image attachment feature - so the images will exist as long as the forum. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:15 am 

Back home for a couple of weeks, so I'm able to do some tinkering on the car. The main focus is the prep, paint and install of rear body parts. So, far yesterday I was able to sand and prime the upper spoiler, mid-wing and Euro bumper cap. I have a GT bumper arriving at my door on Friday, which will also get re-worked and color-coded to the car.

Attachments:
20170530_192808.jpg
20170530_192808.jpg [ 355.91 KiB | Viewed 69 times ]
IMG_0788_zps0saasjbw.jpg
IMG_0788_zps0saasjbw.jpg [ 32.68 KiB | Viewed 1838 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:23 am 

GT spoiler, euro bumper cap, GT bumper and mid-wing are all color-matched green to the car. Still need to lay down clear on the mid-wing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:58 pm 

good paint work.what model is that white bumper from

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:12 pm 

gticon wrote:
good paint work.what model is that white bumper from

'89-92 GTi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:39 pm 

The amount of work going into this Green Machine build is awesome.

The colour matching body parts and the detail in the engine bay makes it a very unique Geoswift.

Are you planning on giving it a front lip or up grading the rear brakes to discs?

Keep up the good work. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:11 am 

Swift RS wrote:
The amount of work going into this Green Machine build is awesome.

The colour matching body parts and the detail in the engine bay makes it a very unique Geoswift.

Are you planning on giving it a front lip or up grading the rear brakes to discs?

Keep up the good work. 8)

Thanks RS... The front lip is one item I have wanted, but finding one seems impossible. One day hopefully. And, yes, I do plan on swapping in GT rear discs. i have the right side, just lacking the left.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:27 am 

So, yesterday evening the car took on it's new rear look. I want to redo the tail light wiring someday soon. Using a Geo harness grafted to the euro tail wiring, I ended up with only one 'running lamp' when the euro Swift has two. How ever I try to give the inner upper lamp power, it only comes on bright like a brake light instead. I need to get a wiring diagram and to also see if the Swift GS has harness connectors just inside the rear hatch that would be a 'plug n play' like the NA Geo and Swifts share. Anyways, without due... here's some shots of the new look.

Attachments:
20170606_183414 2.jpg
20170606_183414 2.jpg [ 301.37 KiB | Viewed 60 times ]
20170606_183429 2.jpg
20170606_183429 2.jpg [ 346.31 KiB | Viewed 64 times ]