It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:32 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Our little cultus racer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:53 am 

My 15 year old son and I have been involved in Karting and off-roading but times have moved on and we have finally found a great thing to do together that we both enjoy and can drive. Our goal is to be a father and son team upgrading, looking for more performance, working together and driving together for the most important of all reasons...to have a great time together. The cultus will be mostly a standard NA but I have secured a cultus manifold! Other engine mods planned if we don't find enough speed from the handling area are cams, adjustable pulleys, lightened flywheel and exhaust as well as the cultus manifold, SR 20 TB and the chip in the ECU.
We specifically are only targeting a certain time around our local track to be involved in the SF cup. Presently we are around 1:31995 and don't want to be faster than 1:24 or we get time penalised and shoved up to IB. We have targeted this as we think it's the best class for a lot of competition without massive cost.

Our choice of advice and go fast parts is SPR. http://www.suzukiperformance.com/
1600GTI here on redline. Also has a Facebook page under SPR.
Craig has supplied me the sway bar and poly engine mounts, poly suspension bushes, swift sport calipers and racing pads plus a set of modded BC BR shocks. They are set for street sport but we are making them a bit stiffer for the track only car. They get a good rap and are Taiwanese made. It seems great they are bolt on instead of having to custom make konis etc. Craig made calls for me after I endlessly hit him up for information and asked for changes to the shock set...he has been very patient with me!

Nick and I will make our own rear toe control bars as we have parts already for that from our off-roading days. It's sporting new toyos semi slicks R888R. (The new compound) in 195/50/R15 size.

Dattman and Phil Both members here on redline have been excellent for info and Dattman sold me a Japanese LSD as well as a 4.389 final drive.

It already has the required braces in the front of the car both top and bottom.

Cheers!

Attachments:
File comment: My first purchase from SPR racing enthusiasts. This bar is for the rear and comes with poly mounts. 22mm and very well made!
IMG_3605.JPG
IMG_3605.JPG [ 119.6 KiB | Viewed 4024 times ]
File comment: What a hard job to do nicely....learning all the time. Perhaps I should cover the car first and leave the bumpers till last!
IMG_3602.JPG
IMG_3602.JPG [ 1.33 MiB | Viewed 94 times ]
File comment: Carbon black and orange
IMG_3603.JPG
IMG_3603.JPG [ 1.33 MiB | Viewed 91 times ]
File comment: Ohhhh.....fast carbon wing! Ok it's wrap. Lol
IMG_3604.JPG
IMG_3604.JPG [ 1.33 MiB | Viewed 96 times ]
File comment: Slowly tidying body up for the wrap.
IMG_3609.JPG
IMG_3609.JPG [ 1.24 MiB | Viewed 89 times ]
File comment: This is what we got it like with a few of the stickers removed.
IMG_3608.JPG
IMG_3608.JPG [ 1.32 MiB | Viewed 103 times ]
File comment: Yup needs a tidy up
IMG_3607.JPG
IMG_3607.JPG [ 1.33 MiB | Viewed 107 times ]

Post subject: Re: Our little cultus racer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:25 pm 

I'm no panel beater that's for sure. Looking forward to the mechanicals. Stripped out 5.5kg from each door....going to fit tinted Lexan of 3mm. Doors heaps lighter now!

Attachments:
File comment: Doors sanded, bogged, sanded and primed ready to wet sand and wrap today.
IMG_3618.JPG
IMG_3618.JPG [ 1.23 MiB | Viewed 112 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:33 pm 

Rear Springs arrived from chamberlains. 540 lb. 270 at the wheel. The standard bc shock setup has 140 at the wheel and height adjusters. I'm going to try these springs without height adjusters as these are set for a certain drop. The shocks have had different valving installed from the factory to handle these springs.

Attachments:
File comment: Cobra springs
IMG_3621.JPG
IMG_3621.JPG [ 1.14 MiB | Viewed 91 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:02 am 

Great work mate! Keep it up. Enjoying the progress of the build so far!

Post subject: Re: Our little Swift racer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:58 pm 

Nice shed 8)

Need to thank Phil / 2swiftmotorsport for supplying the part numbers for his custom made springs, really keen to see what ride height those springs sit at and if you have to limit the rear shocks to keep them captive.
Just use a steel ruler and measure from the ground to the highest part of the guard and record all corners before you change the springs, if you want to compare one car to another then you'll need to measure from the centre of the wheel to the top of the guard.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:48 pm 

Thanks guys. Thanks for the advice Derek. I'll get my ruler out. Doors filled sanded primed and covered. I'm not the worlds greatest panel beater but they came out ok. Wrapping is not easy to get perfect and all the little imperfections show up. A few strategically placed stickers will sort that out!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:22 pm 

Sanded, filled...sanded....covered. Still imperfections galore but I'm no panel beater. I'm more interested in the mechanical bits that will turn up soon!
Anyway....doors mostly done. Onto body next

Attachments:
File comment: My panel beating sucks
IMG_3624.JPG
IMG_3624.JPG [ 967.95 KiB | Viewed 87 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:40 pm 

Let's see what turned up today!

From SPR racing in Brisbane I got a box of goodies. Super pro engine and suspension bushes. Nice! That will take a lot of slop out of the car. Also I have some toe control rods I made up from parts. Heim joints with Teflon inners, rubber boots and swedged tubes. I hear my bc Br shock set is now in Aussie soon to be sent this way by SPR. Can't wait.

Attachments:
IMG_3637.JPG
IMG_3637.JPG [ 968.34 KiB | Viewed 88 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:05 pm 

Body panels sanded up ready for wrap and roof covered. Removing rear window for the lexan that's coming. Decal on front windscreen. SPR has my shocks, brakes and a couple more bushes sending over hopefully this week. Awesome.

Attachments:
File comment: Roof now covered in carbon wrap
IMG_3641.JPG
IMG_3641.JPG [ 970.12 KiB | Viewed 93 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:28 pm 

good day on the cultus...wrapping....which i now hate....body work which i already disliked....but keen to get the lean in and the mechanics done.

Attachments:
File comment: most bits just sitting on it...see where i have to add more wrap to hide white bits etc.
IMG_3600.JPG
IMG_3600.JPG [ 1.82 MiB | Viewed 94 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:34 pm 

another view

Attachments:
IMG_3596.JPG
IMG_3596.JPG [ 1.72 MiB | Viewed 91 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:27 pm 

Removed the rear screen today. 2 hours of sawing with fishing line etc...total bugger of a job....in the end it was Glenn 1 windscreen 0. One corner was holding it....I thought a wee tweak might ease it off. End result was a big explosion and a lot of shop vacumn use. [-X

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:59 pm 

Took a while but Lexan rear windows in. Hatch tomorrow. It's 3mm single sided UV coated. Scratches easily but you had to go 4mm or larger to get the one with the scratch resistant coating....plus quite a bit more dollars. I used the original window seals....that way the lexan has a seal to keep water out. I made plastic standoffs front and back of window. Top uses 3m double sided tape. The bottom just sits against seal and pushes the lexan against the screws. Painted the back with plastic adhesion promotor and then acrylic laquer black. The double naca duct is for driver and passenger air con! :lol: weight saving is about 15kg total. Maybe 14kg. That's for the five windows. Not huge but I guess it all adds up. We are two seconds slower around manfield with a passenger at around 80 kg. So 15kg is .375 seconds or there abouts I imagine. Be interesting to see if the shocks etc remove any weight.

Attachments:
IMG_3664.JPG
IMG_3664.JPG [ 390.32 KiB | Viewed 86 times ]
File comment: Lexan windows
IMG_3663.JPG
IMG_3663.JPG [ 399.51 KiB | Viewed 88 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:00 pm 

Excellent job Looking really neat and tidy. =D>
Please, where can I get same wrap and what's required to lay it? I would like to cover my alli bonnet, roof panels and mirrors /door handles on the Cappo.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:35 pm 

Thanks mate. Looks better in the pics than real life...but doesn't look to bad in the flesh. Still a few bumps and imperfections....lol. I got mine from the states on a trip there. I got vvivid xpo series. It was good on the carbon....not so good on the orange. I don't know where in Aussie you would get it but most sign writers/graphics places would have it. Please for the love of suzukis don't get the cheap Chinese crap. Not colour fast....thin....not bubble free....there is a major difference between films and it's a nightmare. You need a squeegee or three....a small sharp knife with plenty of blades, wrap cut (search it on u tube) and a heat gun and LOTS of patience. I have everything but the last. Good films. 3m. Avery. Oracal and Arlon. Most are not cheap. Buy the Chinese crap film at your peril and do the job twice. The Chinese films are often solvent based and will eat your paint, not stick and bubble up. I put some Avery on I got in nz and it was superior to work with over the vvivid eBay stuff that's supposed to be made in Germany. (Or Canada)
Hey GOOD LUCK!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:37 pm 

Also isopropyl alcohol. Must be clean. And also 3m 94 primer for edges.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:14 pm 

Wouldn't it have been easier and cheaper just to paint it?
GTP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:40 pm 

Just about yup! Maybe That's the next time. The paint wasnst good so the amount of prep was almost enough for a paint job however to do it properly I'd honestly have to strip it right back to bare steel. I'd rather spend the money on go fast bits. The prep and the wrap owes me $650 nz. A full paint job by me would be more as I'd need more resources to strip completely...a professional job cheap 3 k and top job 5 k. Outside the realms of sensibility for a track car for us anyway.
Can't do the carbon look in paint either.....plus painting sucks more than wrapping....so I hear ya..... :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:42 pm 

Thanks, I'll try 3M. Sounds like its easier to just paint, but I like the carbon look. My paint isn't good with clear coat peeling off so will need plenty of prep work. Thinking of squirting some red 2 pack on it with the carbon wrap. Mine isn't going to be show car but want it to look better than the current scaly clear coat. I agree with you, to rather spend time and money on performance bits rather than the bling.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:14 am 

650 is not to bad.
But if you have a compressor and gun an equal quality orange paint (agree carbon look paint is hard) would be less than 200. Wear better too.
For a race car hi fill over prepped panels and colour would suffice.
But as you said 650 not too bad.
I spent less than 100 AUD for paint, thinners and consumables on my AWD after prep, Looks great so it can be done.
Yours looks good though, will be interesting to see how it lasts.
GTP

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next