It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:40 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 511 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Back in the game! Project "Monster"
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:40 am 

So the elusive shifter part arrived yesterday and as you would expect I pulled out the stops to get to the shed last night. After spending an hour or so sorting spares I had to send off to people I finally got to fitting up the connector parts for the shift cable to the selector. It's a pretty simple process... I had it all on in about 5 minutes, jumped in the car and ran through the gears... Neutral to first - perfect, 1st to 2nd - felt a little tight but was okay on second go, 2nd to 3rd all good - 3rd to 4th again a little tight first try but all good on the second, 4th to 5th perfect, reverse all good as well. After that I was thinking I was off to a flyer... So I ran through the gears 2 more times to make sure it was all good and the clip wasn't going to come off etc.

Suddenly, wouldn't move to 2nd or 4th! #-o

After about an hour stuffing about with the shifter cable ends, checking and refitting multiple times to be sure it was all good I found that the cables had come out of the brackets that hold them to the gearbox! After securing them properly I jumped in the car to try again... At this stage (about 11:30!) I had a surprise visit from Buzz who was bored and new I was in the shed. With him watching the shifts in the bay I tried again...

Neutral to 1st - smooth as silk, 1st to second - nothing :x , Neutral to 3rd - smooth as and so on! :evil:

After trying a few things to get it shifting or find out where the issue was we got no where so now I'm stumped! From talking with a Suzuki mechanic he gave me a long list of what it might be but the real issue I think is summed up with this statement (you have a) "2010 linkage on a 1997 big frame box in a car designed for a 1993 small frame box.."

After all this stuffing about Buzz got bored and sorted all the earths so that the battery can be reinstalled and I can at least listen to the CD player again!

Some days I am sure I could just chuck it in! At 2am after I'd showered and had an hour to think about things at home again. I decided I can't but bloody hell! Just can't seem to catch a break on this one!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:01 am 

Are you running the selector forks from the g16 or the m series inside the box?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:57 am 

M series that has been modified to suit the G series so that I can use the shorter throw swift sport shifter (and short shifter if I want - which I have but might not use) ... I was told it was a simple "bolt in" job!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:11 am 

Are you talking about the shifter mech that drops in the to the box from the top or the forks on the gear set?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:21 am 

Going point, I'm talking about the shifter mechanism. The rest of the gearbox is Cultus AWD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:36 am 

How was the shifter mechanism modified? I'd say that will be your issue.

Do you have all the gear to put the g series shifter mech/cables/shifter back in?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:06 pm 

Pauly wrote:
How was the shifter mechanism modified? I'd say that will be your issue.

Do you have all the gear to put the g series shifter mech/cables/shifter back in?

TBH no idea how it was modified to work. I know the selector was changed somehow and I assume it was that it was adjust to suit the G series forks, but this is a long way from my area of know how.
I'll contact the guy I got the setup off and see what i can find out. Unfortunately I don't have the stock gear to go back into her as this was all done on an exchange basis! :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:33 pm 

Just got word the only difference to the selector is that the top section (arms etc) is changed to suit the newer setup and reduce the throw to swift sport spec (the cables etc being swift sport) using the original selector setup so it should match fine.

I'll also check that the locator pins in the gearbox have the correct washer on them and see if that helps out. Hopefully it;s something painfully simple like the washers not nothing more!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:26 pm 

Not sure if the AWD box is the same as the G16 (sedan) box internal wise...but we used all the sport shift forks when we changed over to the sport gearset. Only difference we could see was that the sport forks had some plastic sleeves on the forks compared to the old G16 ones. The sport shift mechanism is exactly the same internally as the G16 mech. I will be changing mine over once I can be stuffed getting matching cables and shifter 8-[
I do remember having an issue with not being able to select gears properly (smoothly) after reassembling the box so we pulled it apart checked everything (didn't find anything wrong from memory) and reassembled again and it all worked smoothly. This was all before it went back into the car though so not as painfull as you having to pull it all out again and unfortunately no help at all either :lol: :( :lol: :( :lol: :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:39 pm 

Thanks mate, while not a solution it's good to know it's happened to someone else. The box was pulled down before Christmas an the shifter setup properly installed along with new bearings etc so it should be okay.

I'm going to see if it is something simple like the locator pins for the selector not having a washer on them and few other things to check that I have had sent through via PM.

I won't get to things at this stage until maybe Saturday but we'll see what happens when I get to it. Any feedback is good feedback in my book!

Why can't modifying cars be simple? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:40 pm 

Tassie_mk1 wrote:

Yea, like the minor oil drip I currently have from my gearbox that I can't pinpoint :x Seems dry everywhere except the little drop right at the bottom....farken :lol: Along with the oil return from the turbo that drips a few spots after every drive. Can only tighten the hoseclamp so much, grrrr.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:32 pm 

StinkyWizzleteats wrote:
Tassie_mk1 wrote:

Yea, like the minor oil drip I currently have from my gearbox that I can't pinpoint :x Seems dry everywhere except the little drop right at the bottom....farken :lol: Along with the oil return from the turbo that drips a few spots after every drive. Can only tighten the hoseclamp so much, grrrr.

I look forward to these "joys" :P

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:45 pm 

Had 5 minutes on the car today so quickly checked the locator pins on the selector were all good and unfortunately they were all good... now to find some time to check a few more things beofre i trailer it to the driveline shop that put it together and say WTF did you do!?!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:08 am 

Well after a couple pf crazy weeks i managed 2 stints looking at the car today... well i guess its technically yesterday that flowed jnto the early hours of today...

So the first stint i had was with the help of my 7yo son. I got him to shift into each gear the car had. 1st, then try second (nothing) then 3rd, 4th (nothing) 5th and then reverse. Nothing had changed but what i was able to do was watch how the cables and selector were movng (or not as the case was) and get a fel for what it should do.

With some ideas in my head we left it at that as we only had a sneaky 5 minutes...

Then, after a game of basketball, i was awake and had the chance to get back out there even though is was 10:15. I had the thought that maybe the bracket holding the shifter cables wasn't allowing a smooth movement of the selector arms. I grab a few pics and flicked them to 1600GTi, who i got the setup off of, to see if i had maybe done something wrong there.

Attachment:
received_10154877722870479.jpeg
received_10154877722870479.jpeg [ 180.86 KiB | Viewed 58 times ]

We ended up on a video chat for a good 30 inutes and we ran through how the selector itself should move with the cables removed and found that the selecptr would not move down as it should but would life up to get 5th and reverse. This was baffling and it should have to move down to get 1st but wouldn't do it for 2nd and stil no 4th.

He suggested that i should put the car into first and see how it was moving as it shouldn't get 1st and not 2nd. And he ran me through, on a spare box of his, how it should shift etc. So i put the box into first, looked at how the selector was working and it had suddenly gained move movement up and down and was actaully moving the right way! :shock: i had changed nothing, but it was freely moving and resetting itself 10mm(ish) up and or down frkm centre, when it hadn't before!

So i jumped in the car and tried my luck... 1st, easy. 2nd tight but there (!), 3rd a little tight but there, 4th, tight again but there(!)... 5th, nope #-o , reverse, all good. So i tried again amd same result. So this time i videod what the selectpr was doing to see what was going wrong. I could see cable at the rear pf the selector was having issues when going for 5th so i worked at adjusting how the cable ran and i found i had all 5 forward gears and reverse!

I triple checked and yes i did have all 5 gears! :lol: :shock: =D> :mrgreen: i was stoked!

Then i tried one more time... for good luck... it again became tight, then i heard the rear cable pop off of the selector going for 5th. Popped it back on and tried again... kinda worked, but again some gears where tight now... tried again, going for 5th and nothing :|

So i removed the rear cable just to see what difference it made to shifting. The box shifted freely to all gears! So i again adjusted how the cable ran and then reattached it. Better but not perfect. I toted with this for another half hour and even shot off a few amazed messages to mates to say it had miraculously started working! Turns out, as seems to be a common thread, i spoke too soon.

Once again going for 5th on a test of my adjustment, i popped the rear cable and this time goodbye 5th, 1st, 2nd & 4th! I spent another hour swearing, then speaking nicely and even begging the selector to work again while i fiddled with all i could thi k off to make it work again and nothing! :evil: :cry:

How any of this happened is beyond me! I have no idea what brought on the correct shifting, even less idea what made it stop shifting and have had to tske another hour to calm down over the whole thing!

At this point my onky thought is track down another AWD selector, have it adjusted to suit the Swift Sport cables and see if that works at all. There may be other solutions, but my knowledge base stopped long ago on this stuff! It's now 2:06am and i am over it!

For now, the car will sit as i have no $ to pay for more parts, no time to work on it and am about ready to throw the bloody thing in the nearest lake! I won't but geez i am sick of the run around!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:35 pm 

Stick with it brother wont be long

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:35 pm 

Cheers man, not feling it right now

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:04 am 

The passed month hasn't seen much action with build due to the sale of my house going through and life being far to busy to play cars.

Due to not having found a new house to buy as yet the car has now been moved to a mates warehouse until I have a new shed to put it in or the cash to just pay someone to get it sorted. :cry:

Here are a few pics of it having been pulled out onto the street before it was trailered to the warehouse...

Attachment:
17760663_10154988548515479_186039694_n.jpg
17760663_10154988548515479_186039694_n.jpg [ 92.69 KiB | Viewed 1403 times ]

Attachment:
17776895_10154988548330479_1110699651_o.jpg
17776895_10154988548330479_1110699651_o.jpg [ 128.27 KiB | Viewed 60 times ]

Attachment:
17522251_10154988548405479_1721913851_o.jpg
17522251_10154988548405479_1721913851_o.jpg [ 150.55 KiB | Viewed 55 times ]

She's riding low with a boot full of parts to go into it once it's running again but she looks great in the sunshine! I followed it all the way to the warehouse and just couldn't get over how good it looked! :)

In trying to get it out of the shed I found the the selector has got the box stuck in gear despite being positioned in neutral so it appears that the selector was damaged when I got it stuck last time and the "gearbox experts" who "rebuilt" the box didn't look to hard at it or check it worked properly :evil:

Luckily the clutch works just fine so we could still roll it as we needed.

At this stage my guess is it'll be about 6 months before I get any chance to work on it again even if I buy a new place tomorrow. With funds being tied up in the whole house thing and then hitting my silly season at work again I'll be unable to get a look at it anytime soon to get the selector out and see if the original one works and that the box isn't stuffed.

Not what I was hoping for at this stage but what can you do? It's been a long road but I'll keep at it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:12 pm 

Mmmm I do like that mid-wing!

My car is the same, boot full of parts, which should really be back on the car. Motivation is around somewhere, just got to find it......

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:08 pm 

Howsie13 wrote:
Mmmm I do like that mid-wing!

My car is the same, boot full of parts, which should really be back on the car. Motivation is around somewhere, just got to find it......

Keep at it mate, the more we put off the harder it is to restart

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:45 am 

Just read through all 24-pages of your trials and tribulations during this build. Bummer you keep hitting snags, but it'll be worth it once you get it on the road. I'll be keeping an eye on things. Good luck, don't give up!

1994 LSi 'Green Machine'
'94 RHD (Totaled)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 511 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next