It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:18 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Lexs MK1 rebuild - the green machine
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:17 am 

Thanks Simon, i do love driving it...and that was even before it was turbo charged! Like i said the last thing i need to do is sort the clutch issue out as it feels extremely stiff and sometimes like its almost going to snap...it has a heavy duty clutch in it but even then the amount of pedal pressure required is crazy. Its amazing how little things like that can make or break the car in terms of being a pleasurable vehicle to drive.

Grape - tune was done of 98. That is a good idea about running the tune on 95, i must remember that for future reference. Its good to have at least one fail safe. Not sure on the size of the exhaust manifold tubing i will have to check that, but its actually one of crizbys manifolds so at least a couple of other redline users are running this set up

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:15 am 

Reason I ask about that is linked to how turbo operates. Basically your turbo operates off thermal energy. As engine spins up it pumps increasing volumes of air that push the turbine impeller that compresses the intake charge. One trick used is to actually lean the mix so that the increased thermal energy provides a bit more kick to speed things up faster (hence you will see the AFR is similar to NA numbers). The pipe diameter is like any pipe. Larger diameter for same pressure means lower velocity. For turbo bigger pipes mean more top end but slower spool. More bends equals lower velocity, more length equals lower velocity, cylinder pulse management means pulses evened out to keep the energy even on the impeller. At bottom end a log manifold will do easily as well as custom pipe manifold because the piping is so short. As you go larger merge collector (blending the pipes together at the same angle keeps air moving in same direction rather than interfering streams) and the above points maximised will help get best result. Other trick is ceramic coat on manifold. Steam pipe manifold absorbs and radiates lots of that thermal energy (hence those videos with glowing pipes). Trap that heat in and it only has one place to go, through your turbo. Second advantage is manifold will last longer.

Bit stream of consciousness but maybe something useful there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:54 am 

Recently noticed the clutch slips in high revs now the car is boosted. At the moment just have some run of the mill excedy HD clutch so looking at upgrading to a 4 puck clutch.

Got 2 questions pertaining to this upgrade;

1. I know there are differences in the mk1 and mk2/3 gearboxes but are the clutches the same? From memory the flywheels are the same, so wondering if anyone happens to know if the clutches are different.

2. I have a NPC Al billet flywheel...normal procedure when changing the clutch is to machine the flywheel down but i know that some high performance lighten flywheel set ups dont really allow this...does this mean ill be up for a new flywheel too? Id be interested in hearing anyone else experiences with such a set up.

Cheers

Alexei

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:13 am 

Ican answer 1. Yes they are the same I have swapped them before easy as. As for 2. Not sure but I know someone will know :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:50 pm 

Thanks tassie. Spoke with NPC today and they are currently building me a clutch to suit. Also they informed me that their flywheels aint alloy so yes it will be able to be machined which is a relief as wasnt so excited about buying another one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:09 pm 

Alexei wrote:
Thanks tassie. Spoke with NPC today and they are currently building me a clutch to suit. Also they informed me that their flywheels aint alloy so yes it will be able to be machined which is a relief as wasnt so excited about buying another one.

Nice :) are you going a 4 puk setup or something less racecar?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:21 pm 

New clutch in. Makes the car so much better to drive and first time since the tune that all the power is able to be put down without the clutch slipping.

The pedal pressure is extremely light and have to say that the new NPC 4 puck clutch makes the car that much more pleasurable to drive.

Getting the box in and out with the engine in was not fun at all....only made more difficult due to the massive turbo hanging off the front. Def wont be rushing to take the box out again haha

Attachment:
IMG_6518.jpg
IMG_6518.jpg [ 54.71 KiB | Viewed 65 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1735.jpg
IMG_1735.jpg [ 96.34 KiB | Viewed 74 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1932.jpg
IMG_1932.jpg [ 90.2 KiB | Viewed 69 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1930.jpg
IMG_1930.jpg [ 110.69 KiB | Viewed 67 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:55 pm 

That flywheel looks the business. Can I ask the big questions... How much lighter and how much dollars.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:46 pm 

Hey Simon.

Ill refer you to Dave Homer to field those questions (i bought it through him) as i cant remember off the top of my head (i did weigh and write the differences down but im at work at the moment)...also the price may have changed since i purchased

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6