It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:33 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lexs MK1 rebuild - the green machine
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:05 pm 

Alexei wrote:
Thanks for all the comments guys. Like i said im really happy with it despite it being a long and sometimes even a little brutal journey id do it all over again.

I am looking forward to the many more years to come owning, driving and enjoying it.

pictureshowman wrote:
southy wrote:
Very well done!! :shock: Love the red stickers on the paint!

It would be awesome to see in person!

Yes it must come to Hatch Attack 2015.

Yeah i'm definitely there!!! as long as it doesn't fall on one of my work 'on' swings

Just swing the other way then.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:47 pm 

Little more work on the car today.

Fabed up some brackets to make the Mk1 accept the Mk2/Mk3 mount and hence eliminate the pesky front mount that gets in the way so much. Used one of Budjet Racers custom mounts. Looks solid as and great workmanship....christ the increase in vibration is noticeable...its like driving a moving massage chair haha. Wouldnt help that all my other mk1 mounts (including the gearbox and torque mounts) are filled with marine grade silicon.

Getting rid of that freed up heaps of space to dummy mount the turbo and intercooler and get an idea of intercooler piping and oil/water plumbing for the turbo.

Also found out that a custom dump pipe is going to be have to made from scratch to accommodate the space and geometric restrictions dictated by the turbo and Mk1 engine bay. Its going to be an expense foot or so of exhaust haha.

Enjoy.

Alexei

Attachment:
20141002_142218_re.jpg
20141002_142218_re.jpg [ 420.03 KiB | Viewed 166 times ]

Attachment:
20141002_125824_re.jpg
20141002_125824_re.jpg [ 481.11 KiB | Viewed 157 times ]

Attachment:
20141002_125802_Res.jpg
20141002_125802_Res.jpg [ 465.06 KiB | Viewed 137 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:58 pm 

I so wish I could do that to mine. more so on the other side but it would be so cool.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:10 am 

Simon as my friend sandy (my fabricator) says with enough time, money and a little bit of engineering anything can be done

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:57 am 

ist it black? is it green? im confused =D> looks great and the golden wheels to =P~
what N/A exhaust manifold did you use?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:41 am 

Its dark green with red and gold pearl in it...looks black in low light.

The NA extractors are 'lukey' pretty sure.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:07 pm 

little by little.....

final fit of the turbo, new oil lines and fittings, all new water fittings, intercooler mounted to ensure that front bar won't need to much 'massaging' to fit back on, intercooler piping sorted, air intake sorted

now all that needs to be done now is the plumbing for the BOV, wiring up of the electronic boost solenoid and 2 bar map sensor, get a 200 cell cat installed and its ready for its booked retune on Monday the 15th where we are looking to run 10 - 12 pound through the little sucker

Wont be home till late xmas eve so looking forward to enjoying an early xmas present.

Cheers

Alexei

Attachment:
20141127_093158.jpg
20141127_093158.jpg [ 785.34 KiB | Viewed 134 times ]

Attachment:
20141127_093115.jpg
20141127_093115.jpg [ 763.54 KiB | Viewed 143 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:37 am 

Looks great mate! Love the attention to detail and workmanship on this build! Also Can't wait to see the results of this Angry NA car getting boost! =D>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:55 pm 

Just got some bad news about the car…..In true ‘my luck’ fashion the car went on the Dyno today for the tune to suit the turbo set up recently finalised. Didn’t even get to the mid 4000 rpm range when Marc back its off due to hearing the turbo making a strange noise. Quick inspection of the brand new turbo revealed severe shaft play = bearing failure which is unfortunate given it’s a absolutely brand new turbo, no oil feed/pressure problems, turbo was pre-lubed, everything was done ‘right’ no corners cut....to me this is just one of the examples of when something straight from the factory floor is faulty and fails to deliver its ‘out of the box’ promise.

In a nutshell its going to come down to an warranty argument job between myself and GCG turbos who are enviably going to hide behind the “how can you prove that the turbo was getting sufficient oil feed at the time of the bearing failure?” which is impossible to prove, not to mention that GCG has a reputation for being rather aggressive about these types of matters.

In the end its going to involve a tow back to mine, taking the turbo off the car, most likely a turbo rebuild (at my cost), all of which there is a snowballs chance in hell will be done, and all reverted back and then tuned before the xmas period which means once again I will be car-less for the xmas period – ironically the period that im physically in Sydney and in need of my car the most.

In an even darker stroke of irony, today marks the day to exactly a year when I last got some bad news about my car when I was initially trying to get it running for the first time (ECU failing to communicate with tuners laptop)….have to stop planning car related things on my birthday, always ends in disappointment and ruins the otherwise positive vibe of the day.

Such is life when it comes to modifying cars

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:16 pm 

Mate I feel your pain! So sorry to hear it hasn't gone well! Hopefully you get a nice surprise when you speak to GCG.

Keep at it. it will be worth it in the end :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:46 pm 

So sorry to hear of your misfortune and I can't begin to think how frustrating this must be for you. #-o I hope that you are able to come to a satisfactory resolution and get it back on the road again without too much hassle. Sadly, it doesn't sound like it is going to be an inexpensive fix.

When I owned the car (so many) years ago, the only thing that I had to contend with was the failure of the air conditioner after converting the system to R134A gas. I gather that it no longer has a/c so this would all just be history. The car's "replacement" SA is still running the old gas and I have been lucky enough to find a facility who were able to top it up and I now have a cool car in the Brisbane heat - except for the car itself overheating on me when in traffic :evil:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:34 am 

Thanks for the comments Tassie and Charcoal. Frustrating indeed but i am actually pretty used to it by now. Nothing ever is easy and straightforward when it comes to modifying vehicles.

Got the car towed back to mine and on closer inspection we have found the culprit. It appears (to our best conclusions) that the manifold, upon getting heated to operating temp for the first time, has cracked a little bit of welding lug off (possibly from one of the internal welds) and sucked it into the turbo causing the damage and subsequently the 'tinking' noise marc heard emanating from the turbo.

We actually found a piece of tiny mild steel bouncing around inside there which means i actually need to eat my words and take back the accusations i made about the failing due to the fault of either Garrett or GCG...a tiny piece of steel has basically destroyed the otherwise brand new $1K turbo. Again what are the chances that this could have happened, or how could this been avoided? Seems like a case of very very bad luck.

Personally i think that the turbo would be ok with a new shaft and balance but most likely will be looking at a full rebuild after all as the turbine is part of the shaft and you have to pull the whole thing apart to replace it which fucks the bearings anyway.

Current plan is to go ahead with the repair but get a 2nd hand 'loan' 2560R turbo fitted to the car in the interim so the car can get running again and back to MRC to finish the tune. Despite today being there last day till mid Jan for a xmas break, Marc from MRC has kindly offered to come into the workshop at some time in between xmas and NYE to finish off the tune. Reckons that he has set everything up too run on the 2bar map sensor and boost solenoid, entered in new 'safe' fuel and air mixture maps so its just a matter of fine tuning and doing a couple of power runs to ensure he is happy with it all....maybe only another 2 hours of work and we will be cooking with gas.

Bloody cars. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:00 pm 

Feel your pain!

Definitely sounds like you have a good tuner.

Is the old turbo salvageable?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:41 am 

interesting you mention that Simon. so we have been looking into getting the new (damaged one) repaired and the problem is considering its the core (turbine wheel) that is damaged the entire turbo needs to come apart to repair it meaning the cost is in the labor, the bearings, the balance and the core itself made from inconel material (Ni-Cr-Fe alloy).

initial quotes floating around are $700 - 800 for a new core which is crazy considering that i bought it brand new for just over $1K which includes the entire unit (ie compressor and turbine wheel plus cast casing) plus got a cheap 2nd hand one already bolted to the car for $200.

i guess thats just the world - economy what we live in. often its actually more attractive to buy new things than get things repaired. we are a civilization that just consumes consumes consumes...its not right, im my opionion things should be built to last, people should be encouraged to reuses and recycle things but hey lets not get into that.

again the most frustrating thing is that this saga could have happened to cheap $200 2nd hand turbo, instead i feel like i got punished for choosing the more 'sensible' yet more expensive option. Then again there is always a brighter side....it could have been a bigger or more expensive turbo that got damaged. I was so close to buying the GT2860R brand new, which would have been an additional $400 lost.

Ill post some photos of the damage when i get home.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:05 pm 

Just finished up at MRC.

After swapping the turbo over it has been running on actuator pressure over the xmas period so it was time to get the boost solenoid on and do some power runs.

Car made 127.9kw (170ish hp) @ 7500rpm at 10.5psi.

Significant increase in torque compared to NA with 189.4N/m to 318.8N/m which equates to approx 60% increase. Besides boost coming on a bit late (full boost at 5000rpm) im pretty happy.

Car is much more fun to drive now...good things come to those who persist.

Will post dyno sheet up soon.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:52 pm 

=D> Great work mate! The oldest setup of pussonboost's Mk1 made less than that and run low 13's so this should be a real rocket! So glad to hear that its sorted now and you can enjoy it a bit! Keen to see how it goes on a track too ;)

Enjoy your efforts mate, you have one of the nicest Mk1's out there ATM =D>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:38 pm 

Well said Tassie!

Great work mate, now get out and enjoy her!

WORLD TIME ATTACK CHALLENGE 2016 -Clubsprint -
http://www.worldtimeattack.com/

SRS Motorsports

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:40 am 

As promised the dyno sheet.

Blue line is the old N/A set up and the red line is obviously the boosted set up.

Turbo spools up from approx 3000 rpm and hits full boost and torque at approx 5000 rpm which as i said is a little later than expected from the little GT2560R

I think the fact that we didn't adjust the cams allowed for a little bit of boost bleeding due to the overlap. I reckon that opening up of the lobes a couple of degrees would eliminate the overlap and allow boost to come on earlier (either that or a smaller turbine).

However Marc from MRC said he was inclined not to change the cams as this would suit engines with lower compression making them more responsive when off boost which my engine is not.

Again like i said to Marc im just a geologist and much of the tech stuff when explained to me in detail gets lost on me...still i cant help but think that adjusting the cams / overlap wouldn't have shifted the power curve to the left allowing the boost to come on earlier and its not like that little T25 would have run out of steam

Interested to see what everyone else's opinions are on the matter

Either way pretty happy with the car/power it makes. As you can see a 60% increase in power and torque is nothing to cry about.

Looking forward future works now include;
hydraulic clutch set up (let me know if anyone has done this before of the Mk1s)
potentially adjusting cams
up'ing the boost a little
retune

Enjoy

Alexei

Attachment:
dyno resized.jpg
dyno resized.jpg [ 561.14 KiB | Viewed 150 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:05 pm 

that shout be very driveable!

Yes I'm Jealous. Very!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:55 am 

Looks pretty good. Yes a little late to come on. How big are your exhaust manifold tubes? Fueling seems reasonably conservative (bit hard to tell but looks at around 11.8:1). I think you could go a little leaner at around 12:1. I have generally run around 12.2 which is much closer to the edge, but with decent inter cooling and good fuel you will be fine (I think 12:1 is plenty conservative). Was dyno done with pump, 95 or 98? I tended to dyno tune on 95 and run 98 for a little protection for road tune (in case you get bad batch of fuel etc).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next