It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:25 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Project "Ugly Duckling"
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:04 pm 

Just a quick update here, Buzz and I spent m,ost of yesterday fitting up a replacement box, HD clutch and a Ozmotorsport Short shifter, we managed to no quite get it back together 100% which mean pulling it off and refitting but we got there in the end :P I will test run the car tonight to be sure the shift setup and gearbox are all good. If they are then that just leaves the intake setup to go on which will hopefully not be too far away but will mean another day "in the shed" to get that fitted up and running sweetly :)

Attachment:
20140109_113938_resized.jpg
20140109_113938_resized.jpg [ 456.48 KiB | Viewed 97 times ]

Waiting for me at Buzz's place :)
Attachment:
IMG_7571_resized.jpg
IMG_7571_resized.jpg [ 76.74 KiB | Viewed 2682 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:34 pm 

Can't wait to see how it goes with the intake setup.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:56 pm 

Yeah I'm keen also, it will get done in the next few weeks depending on how work goes for me (less work means more shed time) and how Buzz goes moving house but we'll get it sorted asap :lol:

I can also report that the short shifter setup is a little nuts, very short throw (I'd forgotten how much) but it should be great once I get the box run in as the gears are a little tight but engage well and the clutch is great too, much more pedal feel which I like :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:45 pm 

lol a litle short is an understatment its crazy short !!! i've ever used a short thow shifter tho

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:37 pm 

Okay some more progress today on the duck! Buzz and I finished (started last night) fitting up the Mk1 Group A Reverse intake with SR20 (60mm) TB (bored to suit) seeing as no one wanted to buy this great piece I decided it was best to use it myself and enjoy all the extra power it makes myself! :D

So we set about fitting it up, mostly I was extremely simple! The hardest parts were making space for the throttle arm to clear the fuel lines (moved them slightly to give good clearance) and then working out how to plumb all the vac lines back to the intake after the AFM, which we got around by plumbing in a piece of piping Buzz had spare into the slicon reducer used to link the AFM housing and the TB and then sealing it off with stikeflex (thus why we couldn't finish it last night as it needed drying time)

With that all done we then worked out that the cosworth style vent I had planned to use (painted it and everything!) was going to be far too big and let water in onto the battery so a quick trip to Autobarn sourced a cheap and simple set of scoops which we placed just at the rear of the bonnet to let in air to the pod while not allowing water anywhere except the strut tower :)

I decided (for now at least) not to the the aftermarket rail and FPR setup but we did put a little bit more timing into it for piece of mind. The end reuslt is that it runs better than ever, pulls hard from 2000rpm and has a bucket load of power!

coming up is a set of 932c Cams and adjustable gears just for fun :P

Here's the pics of what we did and what we achieved

Group A Intake (left) Vs Stock (right)- note the shorter fatter runners :)
Attachment:
Stock V GrpA.jpg
Stock V GrpA.jpg [ 98.07 KiB | Viewed 2567 times ]

Attachment:
Making holes 1.jpg
Making holes 1.jpg [ 298.69 KiB | Viewed 105 times ]

Attachment:
making holes 2.jpg
making holes 2.jpg [ 370.91 KiB | Viewed 98 times ]

While these aren't pretty they are functional and have to be worth at least 20fwkw! Note that the white colour under the scoops is actually a cloth we used to keep metal out of the engine bay, there really are holes cut LOL
Attachment:
Scoops.jpg
Scoops.jpg [ 25.89 KiB | Viewed 2567 times ]

Attachment:
Front shot.jpg
Front shot.jpg [ 68.21 KiB | Viewed 2567 times ]

The all important intake all fitted up :) - note we re routed the vac lines so they aren't over the top of the intake but hidden away at the rear now :)
Attachment:
Engine Bay.jpg
Engine Bay.jpg [ 93.73 KiB | Viewed 2569 times ]

For those of you who missed out on this intake I do have a couple of others that will be good for the same setup but neither have TB setups just check my FS thread :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:51 pm 

ok heres a pic of the current engienbay when it left my house to and a the youtube link is how it sounds ;) and it's EPIC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR9ttU1HZFQ

Attachments:
photo.JPG
photo.JPG [ 1.17 MiB | Viewed 95 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:23 pm 

Hey Dave looking the goods now mate good job with the duckling.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:13 pm 

Looks and sounds great!!!
Will go well with a set of 935c cams.
Brap brap brap.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:35 pm 

Thanks guys! Looking forward to those cams now :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:49 am 

I just had to post this!

I was grabbing a coffee from my local place this morning and while I was waiting my sister's old boss (a late 30's chick) came in, first thing she said to me after hello was "Gee your car sounds mean! For such a little car I couldn't believe it!"

Needless to say I haven't stopped smiling since :D

Bring on the drags on the 15th!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:40 am 

dont you love it when things like that happen. :D I wouldn't be able to stop smiling too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:43 am 

evilhighway wrote:
dont you love it when things like that happen. :D I wouldn't be able to stop smiling too.

It was brilliant as she's not a car person and I didn't even know she was behind me! It does sound awesome as I slowly make my way up the low roofed multi storey :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:13 pm 

Okay so I got the car all ready for Tassienats on the weekend, swapped the wheels off of the turbo car onto it for better grip and game the old girl a good wash with the help of my kids and half a dozen of their friends and she came up looking remarkably like the turbo car did 12 months ago!

Attachment:
Tassienats Prep'd.jpg
Tassienats Prep'd.jpg [ 518.17 KiB | Viewed 78 times ]

I headed out early Saturday morning to be sure to make the start of the days racing and get there with time to spare :) dropped the tyre pressure to 18psi (where I usually run it for the drags) and waiting for my first run... When it came I launched at about 2800rpm, it bogged down and I ran through for a 10.899 1/8th mile. Disappointed I thought I'd go harder off the line as it was getting grip and needed a few extra rpm... run 2 (much later an hotter) I went hard from launch at 4000rpm got some wheel spin but managable and ran though for a low 10.8! Still not happy I thought I must be able to get somewhere better than the last time out with all the extra work done! Final run before eliminations 3500rpm launch but still not better time!

As the eliminations were washed out I didn't do another pass, but I think the issue is we have set the timing too high (10 Deg) and there is just too much fuel causing it to bog down and spin up slowly.

Anyone else's thoughts would be good, but I think I just need to get the old girl some better plugs (stock NKG's atm) and bring the timing back to stock and go from there. So long as it won't ping I think that should see some better times when I head back out in March but I will do some on road 0-100 runs to test things and see how I go. It was a fn day but disappointed with the times losing 0.1sec's isn't great. The car seems to puller much harder (i.e. more torque) but doens't seem to rev as easily atm so hopefully a few minor changes will fix that :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:08 am 

=D>
=P~

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:32 pm 

Thanks Dave,

Buzz and I have done some retuning back to 6Deg and its now slower again. Not sure why but noticeably slower! I will return it to 10 Deg and see how we go.

The car is well due for a service so I'm thinking plug upgrade and maybe an MSD might give it some more pep! Not sure as yet. Need to find a cheap MSD and some $ to throw at it to see what works

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:39 pm 

Tassie_mk1 wrote:
Thanks Dave,

Buzz and I have done some retuning back to 6Deg and its now slower again. Not sure why but noticeably slower! I will return it to 10 Deg and see how we go.

The car is well due for a service so I'm thinking plug upgrade and maybe an MSD might give it some more pep! Not sure as yet. Need to find a cheap MSD and some $ to throw at it to see what works

Pump your tires back up
Why 18psi..?
Its not turbo and gonna be wheel spinning in 3rd and 4th
Lowering your tyre pressure actually slows you down once your moving up top
To much friction

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:43 pm 

The track quality isn't great so traction is at a premium off the line. Usually I run about 20 psi but chose 18 psi as I thought it might be better on the day. I am headed back out on the 22nd so we will see. Hopefully I can add an msd and better plugs and see if that helps too :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:37 am 

Okay so I got stuck into the Duck last night and gave it some tlc. Engine flushed, new oil with some lifter free up & engine tune additive for good measure, new oil filter, swapped out the tired plugs with some BPKR-6EK's and added some fresh coolant.

The car is running much sweeter now, but i will be adjusting the timing up to around 10 Deg (maybe more maybe less) as it was quicker with the extra timing in it. Anyone who's played with the timing on a similar setup feel free to throw some advice my way on whta worked for you too!

The car is currently getting a wheel alignment then it will be off to the strip tomorrow for a full day of racing (starts 10am!) I have the Tassienats finals first up then round 7 of the series so hoping for a good run at both and plenty of passes for the old girl. Hopefully I can get into the low 10's (1/8th mile) with it and really start to show up some of the bigger cars :)

I was hoping to fit up an MSD Blaster Coil as well but time and lack of wiring skill meant it will have to wait til another day now :(

Attachment:
plugs.jpg
plugs.jpg [ 355.43 KiB | Viewed 101 times ]

Attachment:
Coil.jpg
Coil.jpg [ 321.46 KiB | Viewed 81 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:08 pm 

Just watch out as your base timing adds to you total advance.

It can start pinging at high rpm if you end up with to much and it can be hard to notice.

Come back about 1or 2 deg from where it feels best and you will be pretty safe.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:17 pm 

Thanks Mate, I was thinking similar thoughts after I posted. I think I will see what the Strip tells me about the setup tomorrow and if the car runs slower than it did last time out I know I should change it back :)

Looking at the plugs the car was running as it should mixture wise (they were a bit fuelly before we put the timing back at 6 deg) so I will leave it and see how it performs and hopefully have a few extra tenths on last time out :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next