It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:22 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lexs MK1 rebuild - the green machine
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:21 pm 

Just a quick update.

Things have been rather slow of late. New year, new dramas, new distractions, you know how it goes. Finally got a bit of a break and got the engine and gearbox bolted up and dropped them in together. Actually was not as much of a headache as we were expecting. After that fiasco we bolted the new wheels to the body and dropped it off the stands. Rolled her out into the sunlight and gave the whole thing a good wash. Forgot how beautiful the paint job and colour is as its been hiding under dust for nearly a full year since we painted it, slapped the decals on and stashed it in the garage.

The wheels really set it off i think, really really happy with them. Glad i was persistent with the hunt for these! Plus the rolling circumference of these bad boys is pretty close to that of the stock standard.

All mechanical bits and bobs now fitted, bar a few fiddly little things such as strut brace & radiator. Finally its time for the wiring of Motec to the computer (beginning over the next 2 weeks), then fill her with fuel, stick her on a trailer heading for the exhaust shop, after that off to get be tuned and mapped, then rego. Wow, when i say it like that it sounds so easy...so close, yet so far!

Enjoy.

Alexei

Attachment:
File comment: My pooch has decided one of the old seat from a MK1 is now hers
Engine in (1)_r.jpg
Engine in (1)_r.jpg [ 1.76 MiB | Viewed 136 times ]

Attachment:
Engine in (3)_r.jpg
Engine in (3)_r.jpg [ 1.55 MiB | Viewed 134 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Zuki club
Engine in (2)_r.jpg
Engine in (2)_r.jpg [ 1.87 MiB | Viewed 143 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Up and in
Engine in (7)_r.jpg
Engine in (7)_r.jpg [ 1.28 MiB | Viewed 144 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: 13x6.5 Enkei Compe8 wrapped in 180/60/13 tyres
Wheels (1).jpg
Wheels (1).jpg [ 2.36 MiB | Viewed 138 times ]

Attachment:
Wheels (2).jpg
Wheels (2).jpg [ 2.2 MiB | Viewed 120 times ]

Attachment:
Wheels (3).jpg
Wheels (3).jpg [ 2.59 MiB | Viewed 136 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Long day for the pooch
Engine in (6)_r.jpg
Engine in (6)_r.jpg [ 1.49 MiB | Viewed 136 times ]

All that supervising really took it out of the ole girl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:36 pm 

Those wheels look awesome ..

Great to see you moving along with your Mk1 ..

Upside down, Miss Jane ....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:31 pm 

Love the attention of detail

YOU want to PLAY, YOU got to PAY .. Performance doesn't come cheap

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:34 am 

neo wrote:
Those wheels look awesome ..

Sure do...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:09 am 

So what happened to this build? Keen to see where it has ended up :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:30 pm 

s**t sorry guys and girls. Have been really slack on updating this, the build has been going through some rough and very slow times (typical build really!) but in actual fact heaps of big changes have gone down, as has lots of little bits and pieces of progress. As it stands the car is booked in for an exhaust and run in tune on the 2nd of December at MRC Performance.

Changes wise...the two guys previously working on the build are no longer involved. Without getting into to much details things happening in their own lives started (or had been for quite some time) affecting the progress of the project and with me spending large amounts of time spent away with my FIFO job up in tropical Queensland and my other mode of transport sold nearly 3 months ago it was time to make some changes to get things going again.

The new guy working on the project is another mate of mine, Raapy who is also a mechanic by trade and is a really switched one at that, he is also a master tech for Holden and VW. I decided to adopted the 'ill pay by hour approach' (discounted of course) over the 'agreed lump sum when completed' stlye as i felt that this meant he would arrive when he said he would, start work, work efficiently noting his hours spent then "bill me" for his time. This set the slightly more professional atmosphere making working on the car more of a business transaction than a group of mates helping a mate out, when and if, it suited every alternate weekend kinda of gig.

Raapy turned out to be a little more OCD than id hoped for literally wanting to go back and check or re-do everything that had already been done....but hey at the end of the day these are the sort of people you want working on your car and he even picked up on a couple of things that could have been major issues if they had gone un-noticed.

Things that have been done since last update.

-All factory body wiring was checked, a lot was replaced and now is far superior to factory wiring. Apparently some of the previous owners had run some dodgy alarm wiring to the bonnet and rear door that Raapy didnt like so why he was doing that he thought that the original wiring (from 1986) has seen better days and has replaced and changed most of it including changing little things like the interior light comes on when doors are unlocked, and dims out, rejigged the fog lights so they work independently of the parks/headlights (people who own MK1 will know what i mean).

- Central locking, alarm and immobilizer with remote boot button wired in to keyless entry all fitted.

- Throttle body, tps, modified accelerator cable (to allow mk1 to mk2/3 engine) made and fitted

- Sunk a couple of grand into sound system (top of the line head unit, speakers and amp) and got raapy to install. Thought hey, if you are going to be listening to it every day might as well make it good sound quality. Tweeters are in the factory location in the dash, 4" components in the door and 6x9" in a custom parcel shelf.

- positioned oil cooler in front of radiator and ran braided lines to the oil pressure meter that now lives in a custom inlay above the gear stick (where the original cassette tapes storage is)

- battery harness was made from scratch with a 100amp main fuse with 3 x thicker wiring than factory. Raapy went a bit overboard but like i said all the better for me.

- Fuel system is done, had to replace all the new fuel lines, again (the stuff fitted but the other guys apparently wasnt EFI rated.

- Motec is all but wired up along with all the sensors (Lambda wideband, GT101 cam sensor, air temp/engine temp, etc etc). This was a bit of a struggle in the start trying to mix and match the original engine wiring without the appropriate MK1 diagrams but thanks to a fellow Redliner (mk1croc) we finally got them...only to have raapy say f**k it and make the whole loom himself...typical OCD behavior haha

- Digital ignition system (Mallory Hy-fyre 6A) is being set up tomorrow, that should now be pretty straight forward really.

- Interior is all back together now, small tears in front seats (drivers and passengers side) were fixed.

- front end is all back together and looking like a complete car again! hooray after weeks sitting in pieces around my garage.

Now whats left, and whens it getting done? The answer is a lot, but the time span (thank chirst) is very short. It has to be out of the garage on the 2nd of december, thats the deadline. Soooo friday week, its booked in for tinting with a mobile tinting mob, followed by a final external detail on the paintwork on sat (hasn't been for a final detail since rolling out of the paint booth), and then its off to Windsor Exhaust for a mandrel 2 inch no cat twin tip exhaust Via MRC Performance for an engine prime, first turn over and run-in tune.

By the time i return home for my final swing at work for the year on Dec 16th, the car should have finished at MRC, been subsequently towed back to my house where it will be waiting, fully operational, after nearly 2 years and two months for a Blue slip (all going well!) and Rego on the Dec 17th which is also my birthday.

Getting the car rego'ed on my birthday is going to be my birthday present to myself. Im actually considering not even drinking on my birthday and just driving it around all day.

The epic saga finally draws to a close. Will post pictures ASAP.

Cheers

Alexei

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:14 pm 

Good news, and thanks for the update.

Please tell me you've removed the roof racks [-o<
With those on, it looks like the handles for a lunch box!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:45 pm 

Wot :shock: My beaut "Rola" roof racks!
They help to identify the car and I'm so pleased that Alexei has chosen to retain them.

Good job, Alexei =D> I add my thanks for the update and wish you happy birthday for the 17th

AWDmoke wrote:
Good news, and thanks for the update.

Please tell me you've removed the roof racks [-o<
With those on, it looks like the handles for a lunch box!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:32 pm 

Haha the roof rack are staying. I do heaps of kayaking and bike riding so keeping the racks is a good option to maintain.

I can always remove them when im not using them but the base of the racks are pop riveted into the roof so I would have had to remove them when we were doing all the body work pre paint. And at that stage I opted to keep them....against the opinion of many including my girlfriend and mates (your not alone AWDmoke hahaha).

The green lunch box, haha, classic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:18 am 

So great to see this build hasn't stopped! I was worried it had gone by the wayside like so many others (mine included :cry: ) and also that it's nearly there! Can't wait to see those pics too! Great work!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:02 pm 

Indeed, I'm stocked to hear it going on well. I'm Definitely happy the racks are staying too. They were awesome.

The dodgy wiring is post me as I never had an alarm(or maybe just never noticed it). There could have been some unusual stuff from a pc in the boot at one point though.

Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh one day.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:10 pm 

Big milestone today.

Spent the morning doing all the final checks on the continuities of the motec wiring and engine sensors before pluging the motec into the custom harness. Then it was off to MRC to get a exhaust sorted via Windsor exhuast and primed, started and a run in tune.

Couldnt be happier to see it leave the garage for the last time ever as a non functioning car.

2 years and 2 months in the making and its finally on the last leg of its journey. . :D

Attachment:
photo 1 resized.jpg
photo 1 resized.jpg [ 242.45 KiB | Viewed 129 times ]

Attachment:
photo 2 (800x600).jpg
photo 2 (800x600).jpg [ 259.06 KiB | Viewed 129 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:36 pm 

its always something!

Just got the call from MRC informing me that when they were priming the engine they noticed oil absolutely pissing from the oil pump at the front.

That means either wrong oil pump gasket was installed, or it was installed incorrectly or damaged. That means, removing the harmonic balancer, timing cover, timing belt, sump etc etc to access and remove the pump.

With me in Queensland, my mechanic in Newcastle and the car currently at MRC what all that equals is big bucks wasted on workshop time installing a part that cost $10.

The joys of car building #-o

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:39 pm 

Gee that's rough! You'll get there mate! Keep at it! :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:20 pm 

dont worry tassie. Im so so so far past the point of no return, what ever the cost, what ever the issue, the car WILL run. hahaha

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:22 pm 

Alexei wrote:
dont worry tassie. Im so so so far past the point of no return, what ever the cost, what ever the issue, the car WILL run. hahaha

=D> Good to hear. I know the frustration these things bring. You've done a great job so far!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:44 am 

dramas, dramas, dramas

newest addition, i like to call it the xmas special, car all back together, holding oil pressure, no leaks, ready to turn over and get run in tune....

and....Motec ECU and laptop failing to communicate meaning...no tune.

Since hearing about this issue and seeking advise from the people in the know (appreciate those fellow redliners that helped) its since been put down to differing software installed on both the ECU and laptop which apparently needs to be the same in order to have successful communication.

As we dont know what software is on the ECU we have to send the ECU off to Motec to get the latest software installed (or the same software as what Mark from MRC is running).

So much for having the car for my bday today.

In reality, given the time of year with the festive season/holiday period its looking pretty unlikely to get it back before xmas...or even NYE.

Customising cars = headaches

Cheers

Alexei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:51 am 

Happy birthday and think of it this way Industrial revolution kids got a lump of coal for their birthday which they had to share with their siblings just to keep warm.
You get a new motec software. win win in this context.

GTP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:55 am 

gtpswift wrote:
Happy birthday and think of it this way Industrial revolution kids got a lump of coal for their birthday which they had to share with their siblings just to keep warm.
You get a new motec software. win win in this context.

GTP

fully. 1st world problems. haha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:40 am 

do you feel better now...take a cookie

GTP

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next