It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:09 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Troubleshooting - Fuel restriction or ?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:24 am 

Hi,

1993 non-GTI swift with a G10A, 3-cyl engine. Last 2-3 days had some stalls and hesitations followed by dying last night. Wouldn't re-start after dying, but did restart after ~10-min rest. This happened twice.

Replaced the fuel filter and a few lines this AM, figuring it looked like a restriction. Ran it in the drive for ~10 min after and seemed fine. Left the house and got a hesitation a few blocks away, so figured I should drive the neighbourhood before heading to work. Died after about 20-min running. Same as last night -- wouldn't restart right away, but did after about 5-min rest and was then able to drive home (~5-min).

So, I'm still thinking restriction, and figuring I'll drop the tank first and have a look at the pump, which I assume has a screen or something. After that, I figure the carby is next. Tank seems easier to drop and more likely suspect as it is downstream of filter.

Wondering if it could be anything else, such as a PCV valve or something leading to back-pressure? Did pop the fuel cap when I got back just now and didn't have much if any release.

Only other strange symptom is issues with the relay. I replaced it with one from a spares yard a few months ago because of issues. Got a new one today when I got the filter, but none of them trigger the pump when the key is first turned on. Have it jumped right now. Wondering if there could be a bad connection in that circuitry, but hard to imagine it resetting after a few minutes rest...

Speculation welcome :-)

Former owner of 2 hatches, which I loved to death...

Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting - Fuel restriction or ?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:44 pm 

my money on fuel pump dying. getting old now and will wear out. Had this same symptoms on my 1.3 swift and falcon as well.
Good luck and let us know how you get on
GTP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:33 pm 

Thanks for the reply, but not sure that's it.

Dropped the tank, pulled the pump. A bit of fines and rust, but nothing excessive. Cut the old filter open as well. Fines, but no major crud.

Ran the fuel pump in a bucket and got 2l in 1:25. Was able to stop flow by putting my thumb over the line, which resulted in a bit of leakage around top of pump. Seems reasonable that it would be designed that way.

Based on other posts, this pump is really about volume, not pressure. Let it run for about 15-20 min in the bucket and was still looking OK. Considered a replacement, while I had it all out, but I gather they're not that easy to source based on other posts and it all seemed OK.

Gave the screen on the pump a scrub and squirt with carb cleaner. Put it back together and ran another flow check. Got 2l in 2:05. I reckon the extra 40 seconds isn't necessarily unexpected based on resistance of filters and 2-3 metres of line.

All back together and has been running in driveway for about 30 min. Going to go for a test drive now...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:05 pm 

Drove it for about 15-20 min and it died. Fuel pump was still running, so not an electrical issue there. Also cracked a line and got fuel flowing out at carb, so pump working.

Pulled a lead and didn't seem to have spark. Thought that might be progress, but then put the lead back on and it started. Had only been sitting for about 5-min.

Drove it for 30-min after that (actually timed it) and it didn't die, even though it seemed like it might have wanted to once or twice. Kept watching temp expecting it to maybe be a factor. Finally just got tired of driving around the block.

Feeling a bit clueless...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:23 pm 

My money is on a dud coil.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:44 pm 

[YLD80Y] wrote:
My money is on a dud coil.
Yep, I'm thinking electrical as well.

I had an issue a while back where whenever the car would heat up, a cracked electrical component failed because it would expand from the heat and 'open circuit'. The car would then die. It would then naturally cool down and the circuit would 'close' again resulting in normal running on startup.

Check coil, leads and also that relay(?) plus earths.

Good Luck!

Cheers,

Drew