It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:20 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Lexs MK1 rebuild - the green machine
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:25 pm 

Hey fellas

Sorry for the essay of a post in advance but promise this will be a one off thing

Ive been a member of this site for some time now and have made good use of its members, their services and wealth of information but never have really posted much.

I have been for the last 8 months undertaking a MK1 custom full street/track car rebuild from the ground up and assume it will continue for many more months. The project is progressing slowly for a number of reasons including I am a geologist and work half the year in Chile yet insist on being a part of the entire process here in Sydney (meaning when im away not a lot gets done) and also mates are doing most of the work…meaning even when I am here its weekends ‘here and there’ type of thing.

I wanted to wait until the whole project was completed before I posted anything but in the spirit of Neo and Striders build posts (and the positive feedback/comments/advice) I have decided it might be better and more beneficial to go ahead and spread the love.

One thing that you should all know about me is I don’t f**k around…I like to do things properly and see them to the end. This is a proper restoration…no detail will be spared if its mechanical, it will be replaced or refurbished in some way

Hope you all enjoy.

HISTORY
It all started when one of my mechanic mates asked me if he could buy the MK2 gti engine off me that has been sitting in my garage for years now since I ripped it out of my sierra to replace with the 1.6 vitara EFI and I asked why. He replied that him and the foreman from work wanted to do a rebuild project together and turn it into a screamer. I thought to myself well that sound fun so no you cant buy it off me…but you sure as hell can rebuild it, ill pay for it and ultimately enjoy it.

I started researching into what car I was going to put it into cause I didn’t want to drop it into a MK2 or 3 body because I wanted something different. I wanted something a little more unique. Not long after I became set on dropping it into a Mini and started researching that heavily. By chance, some random google searches came across Zedds MK1 rebuild site. I remember thinking to myself, “hello…what the hell is this”. I had never seen a MK1 before…it was love at first site. I loved everything about it, the shape, style, history, and rarity. Zeds site led me to Redline and more MK1s (namely Neo and Puss) and I never looked back!

I eventually found Luke (ssgti) and was soon the proud owner of a rolling stock MK1 body and gearbox – engine came with it but didn’t run. I shipped it up form Melb and the fun began late last year.

I wanted to return it to a ‘stock’ Mk1 look but in fact was something far from it. The plan is to start it out NA, get it regoed in NSW, run the engine in a little then maybe look at boosting it a little while at the same time prob build another high boost engine to play with in the future. Beside being a 'daily' - in reality maybe only driven once a week as i dont drive my current car at all during the week - i also want to completely track ready. I have already bought a set of lightweight 13inch wheels with semi slicks for that very purpose

I later found out from researching this site that my car was formerly owned by redline members CHARCOAL and SOBIL (the mags and roof racks gave it away)…small world the gti world but don’t worry fellas its in the right hands and will be much loved.

THE BODY
My best mate Max works in the film industry and is currently in Namibia working on the New Mad Max film prepping and painting all the cars. As a result of his ocupation i have acess to cheap deals on paints and someone that has the tools and know how to paint my car and do a good job of it for free When we get bored we have been changing the color of my sierra approx once a year for the past 3 or 4 years. So I ‘employed’ him and we began work, but had a deadline to do it before Jan before he rushed off to Namibia for work.

We completely stripped the car, panel beated the dents and spot primed the required areas. Max is a perfectionist and insisted that it was perfect – and hell I wasn’t going to argue with him. We mixed a custom colour – dark metallic green with pearl, some chrome, and red gold fleck in it and hired a booth. The engine bay got a coat of mat black rust kill self primer. The paint job was finished in Jan and the car was coated with some new red decal stickers.

Car has been garaged and attentions were now turned to the mechanical components

THE ENGINE
The MK2 engine was sent of the engine rebuilders for a full overhaul. Then sent back and we assembled it and recently installed the cams. To date the work done / parts purchased included;
-block bore out to 1.5L
-acid dipped
-ACL bearing
-balanced
-new custom bigger high comp pistons
-‘decked’ head
-new custom valves
-hydraulic lifers
-massively ported n polished head
-match ported intake/exhaust manifold
-modified MK1 fuel rail
-sard 720cc injectors
-Genuine sard FPR
-60mm TB
-brand new billet tighe cams made to DMWdave spec
-new MK1 engine/gearbox mounts – ordered from Japan – and strengthened with s**t loads of construction/maritime grade silicon
-modified chopper wheel dizzy
-adjustable cam gears
-new walbro intake fuel pump
-ceramic coated pacemaker 4-to-1 extractors – these will be hooked up to 2.5 inch straight back stainless exhaust (no cat)
-oil cooler – already run into problems with the sandwich plate due to the location of the front mount
-new performance leads (8.8mm) and spark plus
-new water pump

GEARBOX
-fully rebuilt by DMWdave with Phantom LSD
-NPC billeted Al flywheel
-New heavy duty clutch
-Brand new torque rods – also reinforced with silicone
-brand new drive shafts and CVs
-new wheel bearings all round

ENGINE MANAGEMENT
-Motec M4
-Malloey 6A digital CD ignition with a Promaster E series Mallory Coil

The wiring is up to ‘Dan the Man’ (master tech of Audi and VW) and will have to be a fully customised job to make the MK1 dash wiring work with the MK2 engine loom and aftermarket stand alone computer. He has been talking about making a custom loom from scratch but again this is completely up to him and a job im not envious of one bit. All unnecessary wiring will be hidden

Once running it will be tunned either by MRC or Croyden motorsports – im still not 100% sure but am leaning towards Croyden motorsports

SUSPENSION
-a custom adjustable coilover kit with adjustable caster and camber sitting on lowered springs is currently being built....and will be finished as soon as i can get the measurements i need!!! (cant remember the specs but ill list them later)
-brand new Kmac 24mm front and rear sway bars
-new bushings all round have been purchased to be fitted when suspension arrives
-front strut brace
-rear panhard rod

OTHER STUFF
-Brakes set up will be customised – bigger and disks with braided lines all round most likely '. Still chucking ideas around on this
-replaced interior back to original – steering wheel, centre consoles, removed sub and amp wiring and stupid vacuum pressure gauges
-seats will be reupholstered once car is running…keeping original pattern. I like the look of the Japanese Spec red and black seats in one of recent suzuki brochures posted on redline not that long ago
-new MK1 radiator
-new sump and pick up
-the engine bay will be detailed in blue and already have blue; cam gears, strut brace, freshly painted rock cover, and all silicon hoses are blue.
-windows will be tinted to darkest legal limit
-replaced fiddly things like the bonnet latch, rear door latch, globes etc etc
-all rubber seals have been removed treated and/or replaced

Im sure there is plenty more too…but im over typing and im sure you over reading! Ill keep this updated as regularly as possible

Attachment:
File comment: as purchased
IMG00157-20111008-1727.jpg
IMG00157-20111008-1727.jpg [ 196.08 KiB | Viewed 298 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: it begins
IMG00168-20111203-1142.jpg
IMG00168-20111203-1142.jpg [ 343.06 KiB | Viewed 295 times ]

]
Attachment:
File comment: stripping
IMG00169-20111203-1227.jpg
IMG00169-20111203-1227.jpg [ 282.11 KiB | Viewed 298 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Mad Max mixing
IMG00177-20120106-2243.jpg
IMG00177-20120106-2243.jpg [ 407.84 KiB | Viewed 303 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: ready for fresh lick of paint
IMG00178-20120107-0818.jpg
IMG00178-20120107-0818.jpg [ 477.05 KiB | Viewed 310 times ]

Attachment:
IMG00179-20120107-0818.jpg
IMG00179-20120107-0818.jpg [ 528.79 KiB | Viewed 289 times ]

Attachment:
IMG00182-20120107-1201.jpg
IMG00182-20120107-1201.jpg [ 295.39 KiB | Viewed 287 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: freshly painted with decals
IMG00185-20120108-1458.jpg
IMG00185-20120108-1458.jpg [ 534.2 KiB | Viewed 293 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: engine assembled
IMG00205-20120409-1325.jpg
IMG00205-20120409-1325.jpg [ 336.57 KiB | Viewed 300 times ]

Attachments:
File comment: engine
IMG00206-20120409-1325.jpg
IMG00206-20120409-1325.jpg [ 436.55 KiB | Viewed 298 times ]

Last edited by Alexei on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Lexs MK1 rebuild - the green machine
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:46 pm 

Thanks for taking the time to start a build thread.

Always loved the mk1s, good to see you're doing this properly. Can't wait to see some more progress!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:43 am 

mate, do remind me to get the measurement for you tomorrow.. sorry for the delay. too busy this few weeks..

i love you car.. =D>

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:33 am 

Very nice Mk1 mate! Be sure to post some videos when she's running!!

Rasputin wrote:
Yes. I like hard parking faggots and want to be one. It's my dream
Thanks,
Dan.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:37 am 

Awesome! =D>

I will have to say I believe that Charcoal will definitely approve the work you have done to his beloved Mk1. It is good to see one of the legends coming back to life.

Thank you for the mention in the build, thread there are a few of us that are pure 'traditionalists' and love our Mk1's, glad to see you have joined our small dedicated group, you won't regret it.

neo

Upside down, Miss Jane ....

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:44 pm 

I can't tell you how delighted that I am to read this post. When I started reading, I really hadn't thought that it would have been "the car" and I'm sure that Simon (Sobil) will be equally pleased. We both still have "replacement" Mk1's, but have shared affection for this car.
I honestly thought that this car wasn't going to see the road ever again (like so many Mk 1's) and I congratulate you for your efforts right from the rescue of the car from Luke who could easily have sold the parts for more than the whole car was worth in its sad state when he acquired it.
It's interesting that it has found its way back to NSW (where it started from). It has spent time in all three eastern states now.
It's especially good to know that it's now being done properly, as it has had quite a few owners who have treated it rather badly as you have obviously discovered.
I'll be watching your thread as you continue the restoration and thank you sincerely for helping to make my day
Well done =D>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:14 pm 

=D> =D> =D>
very nice wrk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:46 pm 

As with charcoal, Im so happy to see it live on.

Please if it does ever move on please keep us in the loop as charcoal and myself definately have a passion for this car. This car is responsible for the 3 I have in my driveway now.

Very tastefully modified too I must say, I wish I had your dedication. Keep us posted on how it goes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:16 pm 

Cool, giving me me more ideas for my MK1.
How much hp are u expecting from this engine setup?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:41 am 

Anytime mate. Given all the mods....boring to 1.5L, different compression ratio, bigger injectors, aftermarket ignition, and Motec running the show we really have no idea how much to expect, its going to be a bit of a luck dip i guess...place your bets gentlemen!!

What ever it is ill be happy with it. Didnt buy it /build it for speed really, i just love the style...not to mention japanese manufacturing quality. If i wanted a super fast car would have sunk my money into a siliva or gtir...that being said i am still toying with the very real idea of a low boost turbo (8psi) set up once the engine is run in a little and car is registered.

Ps thanks for all your comments fellas! will update this thread when i return to Australia in a couple of weeks

Last edited by Alexei on Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:51 am 

ps charcoal and sobil - i will keep you in the loop if this car does change hands....but wouldnt count on it. built it to be a keeper, its pretty much going to be a brand new car

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:56 am 

little update...

brand new DMW spec tighe cams installed and dialled in, adjustable cam gears fitted, new crank pulley fitted, timing sorted, belts fitted, new bottom timing case and upper clear case fitted.

kmac sway bar, new suspension front and rear, new control arms, disc brake pads/caliper overhaul, slotted rotors, rear drums machined, braided brake lines fitted, front and rear wheel bearings pressed in, fuel tank drained, cleaned and painted (was almost full of god who knows how old a tank of petrol), new fuel lines.

next step...wheels back on the car, install the new walbro pump after some modification, put tank in, take her off the stands, bolt engine up to the gearbox and crane her in and bolt it all up to the chassis.

Then the wiring of the Motec M4 and ignition system saga begins. For this we wanted to have the garage clean and orderly so spent nearly the entire of sat organising it....amazing what a bit of organisation does to the garage!

Some pic for those who are interested.
Attachment:
IMG00252-20120804-1819.jpg

Attachment:
IMG00262-20120805-1510.jpg

Attachment:
IMG00254-20120804-1820.jpg

Attachment:
IMG00257-20120804-1822.jpg

Attachment:
IMG00256-20120804-1822.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:50 am 

Bit of an update. Been slow on the build due to work commitments and getting bogged down with my other suzuki

Had a valve blow in the head last time i was 4wding and wanted to remove, restore and replace the head 'in-house' to save some cash. The boys got a little stuck when we went to set the timing and dizzy up on the fresh head due to fact that i am running a custom made dizzy - i am running a baleno engine with vitara cams rendering it effectively a vitara, except the dizzy needed to be a 5 point pick up instead of a 4 point.

Eventually after we fitted the head it cam down to cranking the engine over, no start, take it all apart and move the timing belt literally a tooth to two at a time and doing it all over again. Very laborious work but in the end we had 're-set' the timing to our liking....not to mention Roel (my mechanic mate) that physically did the majority of all this too-ing and fro-ing now knows the timing set up of my car like the back of his hand and can take the timing belt and dizzy off and apart blind folded! hahaha.

Attachment:
Redoing the head_small.jpg
Redoing the head_small.jpg [ 385.48 KiB | Viewed 287 times ]

Anyway after that was finally up and running a fitted a new set of tyres to the little tonka and have been enjoying getting back in 4 wheeling again. For a little 1.6L 'sardine can' the little beastie is unstoppable. Goes everywhere the big boys do...and some more!. Cant beat a suzuki! (with a bit of a lift and series 3 rock hopper gears haha).

Attachment:
Tonka.jpg
Tonka.jpg [ 395.93 KiB | Viewed 274 times ]

Anyway back to the point....the boys in charge of the actual mechanical work have been busy with their own lives and such but finally we are beginning to pick up some momentum again.

Heres whats been going down...

- Custom suspension finally arrived and fitted. Fine tunning these bad boys is going to be a real trial error process with adjutable hieght, dampening and camber/castor
- Bought and assembled the engine crane - which is bloody big enough to lift my whole suzuki i reckon
- Bought a second hand gearbox (good to have a spare) plus heaps of MK1 gear box spares of Nathan (that is selling all his "go fast bits - cheaps")
- finally found some 13 inch enkei compe 8 +34 (thanks heaps strider!) in great condition with centre caps and have since had them fitted with 185/60 tyres....look the business.
- master rebuild kit on brakes fitted and assembled
- walbro fuel pump fitted to clean and painted tank with new fuel lines.
- bought another MK1 steering wheel (in much better condition than the one i have - plus has working horn)
- windows have been tinted by a mate

Thats about it for the time being. In the next two weeks should have the engine and gear box in the car. Will update more then.

Enjoy.

Alexei

Attachment:
suspension2_small.jpg
suspension2_small.jpg [ 217.18 KiB | Viewed 282 times ]

Attachment:
enkie compe8_2.jpg
enkie compe8_2.jpg [ 118.57 KiB | Viewed 283 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:04 pm 

very nicely done on the mk1! Good work on the motor.I had a question. Where did you get the side visible cover from?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:10 pm 

Someone on this forum makes these covers Rowan. I have heard that they will fade in time, but I don't know that for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:03 am 

Rowan...Nick from redline sells them

Follow the link here,

http://redlinegti.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48426&p=464576&hilit=clear+cam+cover#p464576

He may still have some remaining

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:25 pm 

That's some beautiful work. =D>
Love the mk1's, good to see this one in such great shape.
Sierra looks good to.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:34 pm 

Hi Lex,(and other mk1 nuts that are bound to be following)

Nice to see the kit going in to her, serious dedication there.

I'm in need of two or three radiators at the moment and I'm not sure if i should upsize and go for an alluminum bling one or not. Have you got any ideas on radiators? MAybe the mk2/3 ones can be made to work?

Also do you mind me asking what the suspension setup cost you?

-Cheers

Simon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:08 pm 

Hey Simon.

I thought about the aluminum radiators as they are so dirt cheap but in the end all the aluminium radiators i could find were all for the Mk2 and Mk3 and didnt want to risk it. Instead i sent my radiator to a radiator shop that had the Mk2-mk3 radiators in stock and they informed me that they were indeed different. I was going to go down the path of just restoring the old one i pulled out, but that was going to cost big bucks.

Luckily the bloke at the radiator shop was able to match a new alum one to the sample one i sent him (at a fraction of the cost) which nearly will be a straight bolt up - just a little bashing of the bottom brace to make it fit. I could try and contact him to see what model i comes from but i doubt he would remember.

The suspension was supplied by a company called Ceika (http://ceikaperformance.com/) and can be tailor made to your needs and budget. My suspension set up cost about 1200 bucks and was purchased from a newish redline member "CEDRIC" (also the owner of the business). For this price i received;
a) the fronts are the coil overs and come with adjustable height, damping and camber/castor plates.
b) The rears are the standard independent coil-shock set up and come with adjustable height perches and damping settings as well.
c) the spring rates can and were custom made to ensure each set up is tailored to your needs.

now a word of warning about this set up...when i requested these to be built for me i discovered that the seller did not not have the specs for the car and i had to supply all the necessary dimensions. The fronts bolted straight in but we have had issues with the fitting of the rear - the spring diameter and adjustable perch is too narrow and hence does not fit either on the axle, or at the top with the spring seat bushes. Cedric IS trying to help me with resolve this problem (hopefully by supplying me with the correct parts in the near future) but if i was you i would wait for him to sort it all out and get it all right before ordering a set.

Think of me as the unlucky guinea pig.

Obviously i cant say anything about the performance yet, but the build quality is top notch.

PM him for more details.

Also i have to update the build thread soon, we have had time off over xmas and NE and we have been busy little bees - all the mechanical parts are almost in and bolted up and the wiring and tuning are in the near horizon.

Cheers simon and others that are interested.

Alexei.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:08 pm 

Great project and very clean work.

What kind of front springs rates do you have?