It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Aftermarket exhausts
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:15 pm 

Has anybody fitted an aftermarket cat-back exhaust to their cars?

Do most guys get rid of the intermediate muffler? What size diameter pipe do people use?

Just want a system that doesn't drone on the highway. The Fujitsubo exhaust on the Nengun website looks tempting, very similar to the SS exhaust that used to be available, could be an exact copy, but costs way too much...

I'm getting Dandy Exhausts to look at my car this weekend for their recommendations

Post subject: Re: Aftermarket exhausts
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:33 pm 

Vuka1 wrote:
Has anybody fitted an aftermarket cat-back exhaust to their cars?

Do most guys get rid of the intermediate muffler? What size diameter pipe do people use?

Just want a system that doesn't drone on the highway. The Fujitsubo exhaust on the Nengun website looks tempting, very similar to the SS exhaust that used to be available, could be an exact copy, but costs way too much...

I'm getting Dandy Exhausts to look at my car this weekend for their recommendations

I am fairly sure the stock system is already 2". When I had mine fitted I didn't notice any real gain in performance, plus standard of the aftermarket exhaust steel was lower than stock.

In all honesty if you want to change the note, fit another muffler. If you are fitting aftermarket headers then re do the exhaust.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:57 am 

I too am looking at just changing the rear section of the stock exhaust just to get a bit more of a note without the dreaded highway drone that used to afflict my old Gti.

The main problem with the Ignis exhaust is not the diameter, but where the piping decreases in size at flange mounts and the mufflers. Plus there are also gains to be made in the weight department, stock mufflers always weigh half a ton.

If you build a new rear section say based on the Suzuki Sport type setup, it shouldn't cost all too much. Just need to pick a nice stainless muffler to replace the stock unit and some decent SS mandrel bent pipework from the rear through to the first flange (and a SS tip depending in what you like). Later on you can do the front section when a set of decent extractors becomes available along with a decent high flow cat. I also understand that if you run the rear section of exhaust under the rear axle beam as does the Suzuki Sport system, you will need to run shorter stroke shockers to prevent the axle from hitting the exhaust on full droop. I can't see any issue with going over the top of the axle, they probably went under to allow straighter pipework to the rear of the bumper.

Suzuki Sport did release a full titanium exhaust system which is fantastic for weight savings, but I bet it was damned expensive.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:18 am 

I'm quite sure the std IS exhaust is 1.75" not 2"
Thanks for the feedback guys, think I might just change the intermediate & rear mufflers & leave the rest stock

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:07 pm 

Here's a comparison of the standard VS the Suzuki Sport Type St-R.

Diameter of piping looks similar, but the SS is MUCH less restrictive, and is made of stainless steel (better sounds when resonating, and is lighter) with a pretty sweet exhaust note. It's not too loud, and very at idle or under normal driving conditions, but once you get in the higher rev range, it roars quite loudly.... about 92db according to Suzuki.

If you're after something aftermarket, I'd copy the design of this ... there's absolutely no point replacing the standard rear muffler with someone made up out of mild steel unless you're after some noise in my opinion. igsport is also correct in saying that the car has to be lowered, or else you run the risk of the piping hitting the rear beam on large bumps.

EDIT, just measured them .... piping on both is ~52mm, which is 2". markymark was correct.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:42 pm 

Finally got around to doing something with the exhaust on my Iggy!

Decided to leave the factory extractors, cat converter & front 2" stainless steel pipe and had the resonator & rear muffler replaced with Redback items from the local exhaust centre in Dandy.

Was told the factory cat on the IS is designed for engines up to 4000cc! No real benefit on replacing it.

Also replaced the exhaust pipe from the resonator back with a 2" pipe, replacing the 1.75" factory pipe. I was a bit concerned with ground clearance if I had the exhaust pipe run under the rear axle, so had them bend the pipe over it, just like the factory design, only less restrictive.

Decided on a stainless steel twin tailpipe as well.

First muffler we tried was too quiet, second one sounded great, third one was too loud! So settled on the second one.

The car has real character now! And the best thing-no droning on the highway!
I'll post some pics tomorrow. Took my camera to the workshop, but the battery was flat! And I forgot my phone!

Very happy with the final result! Thanks to Allan from Daalder Exhausts. Doesn't speak bulls*it or try to rip you off.