It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:26 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Rear Brake Pads...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:44 pm 

I'm just going on a quick info gathering session. After replacing my front brakes a while back I now need to replace my rear brakes on my iggy sport.

I go replacement fronts from Repco, after hearing off Suzuki front pads would be aruond $180, i got Repco to match me some pads and ended up forking out $110, still rather expensive i feel.

Anyway, I went straight to Repco looking for my rear pads, and they had alot more trouble finding them, ending up faxing the profile to whomever they deal with, they found the right pad, but told me it wasn't in the country and would take quite a while, to get, so probably paying the extra from Suzuki would be worth it....

So i phone suzuki, enquire about rear brake pads.... $380 !!!

What the hell is with that?

I looked at Suzuki Sport, about $240 without shipping.

So i'm looking at my options, pay $380 for brake pads, wait for repco to get them in (who knows how much that will be), or maybe a thrid option would be to replace my rear brakes.

Anyone give me any advice on this? Anyone found cheaper pads? What about replacing the brakes... new rotors, pads, capilers etc. Is this easy? How much does it cost? Would it pay for itself picking up cheap $60 pads over a few years etc. Would bigger better rear brakes mess up the balance? Would i then need to get front brakes?

I'm pretty upset that suzuki would have chosen such expensive parts, I remember the tyres were a weird sizse to start with, and I put 17" on to get cheaper more standard tyres... what will be next?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:56 pm 

Sports car, sports performance, sports costs. It goes with the territory mate.

$110 for brake pads is cheap, hell my MightyBoy pads cost more than that. I say bite the bullet and pay what you have to for the rears, brakes are like tyres, the higher quality the better - for your own safety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:14 pm 

Suzuki put the word 'sport' on the back of my car. I would hardly call it a sports car... anyway, sporty or not... sports costs are fine... i can handle sports costs... i can't handle outragously inflated prices.

http://www.buybrakes.com - american site sure, but prices are prices... wrx sti brakes, about $120 fronts and backs. Mazda RX8 $120 VW Golf GTI (200 front, 100 back).

I just don't see why suzuki have to put on brakes that require rare expensive pads, when clearly there are cheaper, better alternatives around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:46 am 

Original parts always tend to be expensive and theer aren't enough Ignises about for many alternatives to be made. EBC normal and greenstuff are available - you could ask about prices though I don't expect cheaper or quicker. (They have website http://www.ebcbrakes.com.au)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:31 am 

How many kms do you travel per year?
I find it hard to imagine you'd need to replace brake pads within 2 years
The std pads are quite thick can't see them wearing out quickly unless you are a late braker or do track work
Prices for OEM replacement parts are always a rip off!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:38 pm 

I will admit i do drive my little car pretty hard... done about 60,000 in 14 months. They do have a bit of life left, i only thought i needed to change them cause i heard the same noise as the fronts, but they still have 3mm which is about 25% i guess. But i thought i would enquire about them anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:11 pm 

I doubt whether I'll see 60K in 5 years!!
I'd shop around and get the best possible price
Dealers prices are just a rip off - and I'm still waiting for my replacement windscreen washer cap that wasn't fitted when I bought the car brand new!!

Post subject: Re: Rear Brakes Pad...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:14 pm 

I just got stung with the rear brake tax.. Suzuki are the only one that have any pads available (can get them for $230 for the pair).

Currently trying to find something else that will fit, because I think it is more than a little exxy (I am at 90k's service). Like OP, if I am going to pay that much, I will just bring in SuzukiSport items.

Checked Holden Cruize, drums on rear.. measuring up Swift Sport rears next :)

Anyone else got any updates?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:42 pm 

I use Suzuki pads (I'm a sucker for OE!) but for trackdays I use EBC Yellowstuff, and I think you can get Greenstuff and their 'original quality' pads too.

I believe the code for Ignis Sport Greenstuff is dp21344 front/dp21691 rear.
Original dp1344 front/dp1691 rear.
Yellowstuff dp41344/dp41691

I've ordered EBC via a firm here but it was quicker and cheaper to mailorder from these guys in the UK. Got them within 10 days. The website will give you a price.
http://www.brakes4u.co.uk/speedorder.asp
The firm here had to order them from the uk and took a month.

Bizarre as it may seem I think our rear pads are the same as a Mazda RX8 so possible you could find an angle there.

Be interested to know what you end up with.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:14 pm 

Where did you get those part numbers from?

Seem's a lot more affordable that Suzuki $230 pads :|

-edit-

Found it:
http://www.ebc-brakes-uk.co.uk/products ... hp?id=7988

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:50 pm 

Just got this part number from Bendix for RX8 rears after confirming the rear pad part numbers do match for EBC green stuff.

Visually (without taking the pads out) they look very close. Will take them out and compare tomorrow when my brakes have cooled down (and the weather has warmed up).

Attachment:
ignis.rears.jpg
ignis.rears.jpg [ 76.31 KiB | Viewed 8842 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:00 am 

Any update bzchi? Did they fit? How much cheaper are the Mazda pads?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:55 am 

Well i've ended up with the same problem. Tried 3 different places and none of them have them on the books or can order them in (but I managed to find one place with at least a price listing). I am sure the RX8 pad will become more readily available as the RX8's start clocking up the K's and needing rear pads.. but at the moment they are a bit of a problem.

The Bendix RX8 pad price that I have managed to come up with is ~$90 so I may be better off just ordering the EBC Ignis pads from the UK as posted above :? . Other option was I was going to try Mazda genuine.. but not expecting anything less than what Suzuki is trying to charge.

Will post an update when I find a solution.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:43 pm 

Just a word of warning on the UK option. You will still have to pay customs duty when they come into the country and it could be a lot of money. You need to make sure the receipt is easily visible otherwise customs will charge an amount of tax on a higher item cost than what you paid (generally). You would need to contact them directly to work out the importation tax as it varies.

Also the UK post isn't like the Australia post, items go "missing" regularly. Particularly expensive items like car parts. My brother lost $500 worth of exhaust setup for his Mazda Astina in the mail from the USA and it was supposedly being tracked by UPS.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:46 pm 

Customs duty should only be on items exceeding $1000AUD. I don't need that many brake pads.

Direct from the customs website:
Quote:
Generally, all goods imported into Australia are subject to Customs duty and GST and are assessed for community protection risks. However, all goods (except for tobacco and alcoholic beverages) may be imported duty and tax free if the value of the goods is A$1000 or less.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=5653

Must say my experiences with UK postal services have been complete opposite.. always positive (although at times slow). Not sure how your brothers Exhaust from the US relates to the UK.. but that doesn't sound too good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:08 am 

I'm sure things can go wrong, but I have bought a lot of stuff like that and not yet had a problem with post except when the sender messed up. Due to the $1000 limit never had any duty to pay either.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:56 pm 

Hmm. Well seems I was wrong. I always thought it was anything over $100. I stand corrected. Ignoring the UK to US comparison, some friends who used to like in the UK, my sister and 2 of her friends have had items disappear between the UK and Australia in the post. Maybe they were just unlucky. #-o

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:18 pm 

Update.. I have ordered the RX8 pads from Bendix.. I have been told they will be ~$75 but I am expecting a little more.

No idea if they will fit.. but will find out when they turn up ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:17 pm 

Good news :D picked up the pads today, they are identical.. and are in the car now.. doing their thing.

Cost 100.10.. a fair bit cheaper than the price Suzuki wanted ;)

Bendix up top, OEM Suzuki below (wear indicator was on other pad... just not in photo... they are the same)
Attachment:
brake.comparison.jpg
brake.comparison.jpg [ 238.21 KiB | Viewed 328 times ]

Bendix Part Number
Attachment:
brake.partno.jpg
brake.partno.jpg [ 183.29 KiB | Viewed 317 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:41 pm 

Haha! Nice find. As much as I love Suzuki the parts screwing over sux. 8)