It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:24 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Lifters
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:30 pm 

Please guys can anyone help?

Im most of the way through my rebuild...I have no way of checking if the valves will hit the pistons. Mike is away on vacation (three tech).

The head is on...the pistons were machined by three tech and the pistons are honda ones. The head gasket is 1.2mm uncompressed and is an APV van MLS gasket. The stock gaskets seem to be 2.0mm uncompressed but normal head gasket material that most likely compresses quite a bit.
The cams are mikes 222/365 grind. The head has been rebuilt with new valves....the seats were only lightly cut as they were in good condition. The block was surfaced by 5 thou...4 thou was taken from the head to surface it.

I was told (after the fact) to plastercine the valves and set it all up...turn it over by hand and then remove the head to see where i am....bugger...head is on and torqued down. Also I have those mizumi Auto lash adjusters from the USA....they are slightly longer in the body than the standard ones...they sit 1.0mm higher than standard when installed but then maybe they are preloaded with oil from the factory and need bleeding down? the boxes they come in are soaked in oil.

so after all that...questions are.

1. are the mizumi auto LF8006 lash adjusters ok in the G13B?
2. is there an easy way to check what clearance i might have or has anyone got much the same setup as me and can let me know?

any help appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Lifters
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:45 pm 

Sorry, I'm not really much help. Haven't ever used Mizumi lifters so I can't really comment but 1mm sounds like a lot.

With checking the clearance I can't think of a good way once the motor is assembled. A dial gauge measuring the valve travel before it contacts the piston at tdc, 10deg btdc and 10deg atdc allows you to accurately determine the amount if lift that will work. Obviously you do this prior to assembly. Best bet would be to wait for Mike as he probably knows what clearance to expect.

The 3tech cams are just ground from a production cam by reducing the base circle? Would Kelfords not do the same here?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:33 pm 

Yes on the cams...it's was about he same price as mike but he was doing my pistons an I thought the two items would work well together.

I determined though a lot of careful measuring and testing that I have 60 thou clearance at TDC. The inlet appears to be the critical one. The engine builder said about eighty thou....I hope it's enough. I guess a standard gasket would be thicker than the MLS one.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:02 pm 

Mikes Answer.

"Valve springs are fine with that cam and extended high RPM usage. When I was doing the R&D work on these pistons I did it with this cam as the tester, it being my most aggressive. With stock sprockets and OEM head gasket I measured (from memory) .070" and .110" clearances from the exh/intake. The combo is in a lot of cars and so far not a single collision under some heavy use"

So who knows how thick the OEM GASKET is?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:39 am 

That sounds like it should be fine.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:07 pm 

Oem gasket thickness compressed is 1.2mm.
Apv van mls gasket is 1.5mm.

I also have those lifters from domestic gasket (US), i think they the same ones as mizumi. They do indeed come soaked in oil. I didn't compare one with stock height. I haven't installed them yet so I'll measure them tomorrow.

1991-GTi: JE 75mm 11:1 pistons,Ported head, Single UD pulley,Sandros chip,Aluminium flywheel,3tech 222/365 cams, Cultus headers,Cultus IM,50mm tb,Crane cams adjustable cam gears,Apex suspension, 4.39fd GB.
1989-GTi.
2001-Altezza AS200.-sold
2003-EVO7 GT-A

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:30 pm 

Cheers. My MLS gasket is 1.2mm thick? It's from the APV VAN.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:29 pm 

It would worth checking for valve spring bind That is make sure when the cam lobe is at full lift there is clearance between the spring coils

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:21 am 

Thanks JasStv. Mike said the grind is suitable for standard gti springs. I didn't check for bind and it seems almost impossible now it's together as the lifters aren't pumped up. I guess I could take a spring out of my other head.....measure it's compression travel....check it's greater than my lift. (I'll measure the assembled length first....then fully compressed. Cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:22 pm 

hi Steve...hey did you leave me a cell message?

I measured the springs. the clearance from binding is 2.95mm. Even with as much as 40 thou difference accounting for new valves and valve grind etc which would be more than enough we would still have 2mm clearance so i am reasonably happy with the clearance issue on the springs....thanks for making me check it though...its nice to know it shouldn't be an issue.