It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:09 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: ECU chip or standalone on a 1300 NA high compression
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:14 pm 

swift12 wrote:
Can we fit a knock sensor to these motors?
Absolutely!

There is a boss on the rear of the engine that can be easily drilled out and tapped (if it hasn't already). Cultus GTi engines came with a knock sensor as standard.

Cheers,

Drew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:01 pm 

Thanks Drew. I have a cultus but it has been replaced with a standard gti engine so I'd need to check that out when I get home. Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:03 pm 

One more silly q then guys. If I have to fit a knock sensor will the ECU know it or is that part of the "chip" I will use? Apologies I just don't know how a lot of that stuff works.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:13 am 

The knock sensor is only used to retard the timing in case someone used low octane fuel, use avgas and you won't have a problem, I doubt very much any of the chips have advanced the timing that far, a generic map needs a reasonable degree of safety, if you have any doubt then as Sam said get it run on a dyno and they can check, then get on with racing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:31 am 

Ah I see thanks Derek...makes perfect sense!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:31 am 

Yes you can fit a knock sensor.
Cultus engines have one but the boss is there on all blocks which you will need to drill and tap without getting nasty bits of ally swarf on the inside

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:51 am 

The boss is external, you can tap it no problem, it's essentially a microphone listening for the sounds of pre-detonation, certainly don't need it on a race car.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:34 am 

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll go with Derek's idea and just get avgas for it....then it's protected with the higher compression and it takes the monitoring out of it...easy and straight forward. Plus Avgas is only ten mins down the road. If I had a v8 I'd think twice but this little motor won't worry us! Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:29 pm 

Will you be using Cultus Gti Ecu?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:54 pm 

If you're going to run your wideband O2 sensor then you might find that the lead in avgas will kill it. It's a bit like a knock sensor, if you've tested your map on a dyno measuring the air fuel ratio then the wideband isn't really necessary. If you do decide to run the 02 sensor then you can increase it's life by not installing it until you're happy with the map you're running. Unburnt fuel will cause a quick death.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:20 pm 

Blake I thought Glenn had a standard ecu since his car is a standard gti according to his chassis number but after finding out his ecu is an F6 he'll be diving down the back looking for an exra plug for the knock sensor.

Sam the idea of the wideband was only to install if for a few laps once the new chip is in to make sure it doesn't lean out and then take it out, he has one already so makes sense to use it, but yes avgas will dramatically shorten the life of the 02 sensor so you wouldn't leave in.

Last edited by Dattman on Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:51 pm 

swift12 wrote:
Again my contact in CHC has been letting me know I'm going too far for now and getting carried away. I email Derek all the time...probably drive him nuts.

As you know, once started it can be an endless pit... bang for buck is as suggested, I'm sure you will have fun regardless. Aftermarket ECU is for next season, get this bad boy on the track first!

swift12 wrote:
As for other things I have done....kinda trying not to spend a whole lot more after that. Only thing I picked up to try was some mustang roll centre adjustment ball joints to lower the front control arms with the decreased ride height. Will they fit....hell no...can I make them fit....hell yes. I'll turn up some pockets and have my mate tig weld them into the control arms to press the joints into. Then we will have to enlarge the hole in the spindle to accept the slightly larger shaft on the joint. Couple of other "free" mods to bring the caster more positive with a small amount of fabrication.
Cheers g

Ooooh the mechanical talk goodness!
Not sure if the Mk2/3 you can do this to but adjusting the strut tops brings some awesome benefits.
vtn.259812.htm#259812

Plus plenty of reading in the technical section as I'm sure you have found.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:53 pm 

I have a few of these available in stock.

Adaptronic e440d select. Gti plug and play ecu.
Comes with base map installed.

Plug it in. And turn the key.

You will require a final tune to adjust map to suit your setup.

Attachments:
IMG_2028.JPG
IMG_2028.JPG [ 141.17 KiB | Viewed 24 times ]
IMG_2211.JPG
IMG_2211.JPG [ 1.65 MiB | Viewed 23 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:47 pm 

Thanks guys.
I'd need to check the ECU but I'm pretty sure it says F6 on it. I know it has already been chipped just don't know what with.

Yes the wideband O2 sensor was a temporary measure just to check if the ECU map was sufficient in AFR over the entire range and then remove. (I have one already so was thinking to use that for this purpose)

Craig the ECU looks great but if at some stage I were to run a standalone I'd get advice from the local dyno tuner as to what he's familiar with so I can be helped. I'm going to start with a "chip and check" approach initially. Later on if I forget how much I have spent I might look at a standalone upgrade! Lol

Well no car goodness for a day or two as I have been tasked with making a trolley for my wife's butt. That's archery butt of course. I could buy a whole setup for $1200 or so but I'm making the whole target butt for about $500 so by my reckoning that leaves $700 for car bits! Woo hoo.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:16 pm 

swift12 wrote:
Thanks guys.
I'd need to check the ECU but I'm pretty sure it says F6 on it. I know it has already been chipped just don't know what with.
Hi Mate,

Double check this. F6 is a Mk2 Cultus GTi ECU for high compression JDM engines. Rev limiter is around 8400-8600 rpm and it if it is the real deal it will also have knock sensor circuitry that export versions don't have. :wink:

Cheers,

Drew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:04 am 

Hi Drew. I'm going to look at this this morning Drew and report.
If I have a genuine one and it hasn't been chipped then I just try run it on my new build and monitor for a day with the AFR meter and wideband sensor I have?

What I can tell you is when I got the car I was told it was chipped but I was GIVEN a chip....it has marobi on it. I have run the car as I got it. The car is a cultus....the engine however is a stock gti.

I can report it DEFINATELY revs to 8500 rpm at least. That's why I thought it had been chipped.

Flat top Pistons, standard cams, 74mm bore out of round by 5 thou. 8 thou PTW clearance. Crank in excellent condition. No head work etc. standard inlet and exhaust manifold.

So you don't have to go back to the top to find it. Mine will be 12:1 or there abouts. Genuine cultus manifold...2.25" exhaust. So the F6 would be a good starting point?
Regards Glenn.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:48 am 

here is the ECU picture of the one installed under my dash Drew.
One thing I should mention is there is a sticker from an auto electrical shop on the ECU as well so it's possible someone has been in there already. Soon as I have fixed my wife's butt 8-[ I will take it out and remove the cover. Have a look what's happening inside.

Also bit of advice for me. Now I have the engine apart I could get the crank , flywheel, pulley all balanced together....thoughts? Also the front pulley is super heavy and has air con bit that is not used. It is a harmonic balancer...do they balance that or just put a straight pulley on it? Thoughts?. Yes bit of coin going on the motor but if I Do the bottom end may as well do it once and do it right?
Cheers guys

Attachments:
IMG_4015.jpg
IMG_4015.jpg [ 396.15 KiB | Viewed 23 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:47 pm 

Some blocks have the sensor boss and thread, others have just the boss and then the others have none. Look under the inlet manifold next to the coolant pipe bracket that bolt to the block.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:00 pm 

if it's been chipped you should see that the chip with the Fueltronics sticker on it in this picture has been replaced :
Attachment:
IMG_4279.JPG
IMG_4279.JPG [ 1.81 MiB | Viewed 22 times ]

If it was me I'd balance together and include the clutch cover.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:19 pm 

but if you replace the clutch will it possibly be an issue...? like the flywheel etc should always remain in the same position after balancing and they would mark that to ensure it did. but the cover could be replaced in the future...i dunno...what do most people do?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next