It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:34 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: New Swift uprights - Camber issue
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:21 am 

Hi there, just wondering if anyone has had trouble acquiring negative camber when using DMWdaves New swift upright setup on a GTI. I am using camber bolts and can only seem to get positive camber even on max adjustment in either strut hole.

The next step will be Adjustable camber tops but just curious if anyone else has had this issue!

Post subject: Re: New Swift uprights - Camber issue
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:17 am 

As the roll centre correction arms and uprights were mainly for race car use ,I had assumed everyone who used them would have camber top mounts already.
The s15 top mounts work out fine ,you just need to drill out the three mount holes to take a 10mm stud rather than std 8mm.Make sure you run some sort of bearing on top of the spring seat.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:29 pm 

You will need to convert to adjustable coilovers to make any use of camber tops. Standard style springs will foul the suspension towers when you bring the top of the struts in for negative camber.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:28 pm 

Thanks dmw for the reply.

Pauly are you speaking from experience with the new swift uprights? As I know of a few people running standard strut housings with aftermarket king springs that run either modified S15 camber tops or universal otomoto ones. But the people I know running just aftermarket camber tops are not running new swift uprights

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:48 pm 

I ran Try Square Pillow Balls on my Swift - they were mounted atop Teins tho....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:47 pm 

I ran s13/15 camber tops with the standard sized springs and couldn't get past 2.5 degrees negative without fouling. And that was with the standard uprights.
If you have positive camber with the newer uprights, I'd say you will run out of available room before you get to a desired amount of negative camber dialed.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:35 pm 

Pauly, you are 110% correct. Had to bite the bullet and put in a set of coilovers.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:52 pm 

OK so coilovers went in today. Set the camber tops to Max camber (which should be more than enough). The front wheels still have 1 degree of positive camber... I'm stumped as apparently no one else has this issue?? Next step is to try camber bolts as well.

Can anyone shed any light on this problem?

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:12 am 

I think it might be time to weld the holes in the struts and move them :wink:

Get the desired camber settings this way, then use the top mounts for fine adjustments and alignment.

Yes, this is IP legal as well.

IPRA MK3 Gti ~ Mallala 19/11/11 1:23.5915
Sponsored by
Autosport ~ Velo Seats ~ Morpowa Dyno Centre ~ Diamond Concrete Finishers & Polishers

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:57 pm 

I have recently done a bc coil over set in the front. I can get over 3 degrees neg without any other mods. I would be looking elsewhere than the struts or camber plates as the position of the holes in the strut at the bottom, the camber plates at the top....and the amount of drop sets your camber. The bottom does not move (unless you install those camber bolts) and you have the top maxed on negative yet you still have positive camber then something else isn't right and I'd be looking at the stubs or bottom arms. No mods have been done before?

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:07 pm 

This isn't in a Current shape swift. Its in an SF swift with the current uprights. Complete different ball game to what you have.

Sponsored by
Autosport ~ Velo Seats ~ Morpowa Dyno Centre ~ Diamond Concrete Finishers & Polishers

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:07 pm 

Ah I see.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:39 am 

I really dont understand how you can still only end up with positive camber even with strut tops adjusted fully in, either something in your car is bent or your doing it by eye and not mearsuring accurately.
On my race car , only changing the upright from gti to new swift (and the lower ball joint)made less than 1 degree of difference.So i started with 31/2 degrees neg,fitted the new uprights and ball joint and had 21/2 degrees neg ,which coupled with the extra castor and less body roll was instantly better than the 31/2 on the old set up.I have since increased this figure as the new Ao50 tyres like a LOT of camber
So a std swift at std ride height has approx 1/2 degree neg, lower the car say 40 mm should give you approx 3/4 neg, then fit a adjustable strut top and go all the way in that should give you at least 11/2 degrees more neg so your somewhere around 2-21/2 degrees neg, if you take off the 1 degree difference the new swift uprights make you should have 1-1/2 degrees neg, if this is not enough then by slotting the upper hole on the strut you will be able to get your desired camber,once you have acheived your desired camber get some hardend steel washers and tack weld them to the strut to effectively reposition the hole.Using the camber bolts is not really recommended for any track work.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:46 am 

Maybe post some photos showing the top mount, lower strut to upright and control arm?

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:23 pm 

I have the setup on road regd car which I use for Sprints and you will have to build in extra camber with strut tops and camber bolts in the top. Dave has had the upper mounting leg of the hub yokes machined down to allow fitment to the SF struts but you will need more if tracking it or want the stance. As Dave stated each setup is dependant on individuals preference. I have Bilstein coilovers that I have modified the mount plates to add neg camber as well as Kmac type bolts for additional adjustment if required. From there playing with spring rates and ride heights allows extra adjustment. Adding extra caster will change the formula again. It is all up to you, but if you don't want the mods go back to std. Someone else will buy the conversion.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:59 pm 

Something must be bent or wrong with your setup.

Last edited by swift12 on Thu May 18, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:25 pm 

does it have new swift uprights? If it doesn't it has no relevance to this thread!

Sponsored by

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:00 pm 

Thank you all for your replies.

I am stumped also Dave hence why I am just asking what everyone has done. I've checked everything on the front end for straightness and it all checks out OK. The struts are brand new, lcas are new, tie rods are new, uprights are new, all new poly bushes throughout the front.

I am currently running 4 degrees of total positive castor, the ride height is not yet determined as I'm still waiting to fit the front splitter but it won't be changing more than 10mm or so and will still not give me enough neg camber.

I am aiming for about 1 1/2-2 deg of neg camber which is not currently achievable. It's time to bite the bullet and re design the plates on the bottom of strut to allow me to zero the camber by moving the top of the upright in. I am assuming I will also have to bring the bottom of upright out?

P.s I never mentioned anything about not wanting the set up? Just asking for advice from others experiences

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:18 pm 

I'm assuming that most struts have the springs central on the strut and also with the top camber plate....I haven't seen any top plates offset from the centre of the strut piston so if the lower arms and knuckles are genuine then it's either something's bent or the strut to knuckle join are in different positions. Even with my earlier coil overs they may have no relevance at the lower end of the strut but the top is centrally located and the camber plate maxed at -3 degrees where the spring (again...no doubt no larger or smaller than your coil over setup being a 65mm inner diameter) just touches the tunnel up to the strut top. I'd look at and measure the holes offset from the strut on the new setup to the original setup. Then at least you'll know to look at the knuckles and or control arms. That's what I'd do anyway....rightly or wrongly. Cheers.