It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:47 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: M16, M18, G16, J18, AWD transmissions …which is the best one
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:43 pm 

Greetings,
I am looking for large frame / cable shift trans for my 1993 Swift GT. I have found an AWD trans out of a 1992 Swift sedan 1.6 that I can have sent to me. But my many hours of research leads me to believe there are FWD heavy duty options to the AWD trans. I would like to avoid the AWD to FWD conversion if possible. In addition to the AWD (available in 1.3 & 1.6 versions), I see a M16, M18, G16, & J18 trans options. I have no idea what the difference is between these four trans and the difference between them and the AWD trans. What cars do these come out and is there an United States version of these cars? I believe the gear sets and crown wheel are interchangeable between the 5 trans in question, as is the DWM billet flywheel. I have come to believe there is a difference between the AWD diff and the FWD LSD diffs …is this true? Does anyone know where I could get my hands on one of these stronger gear boxes?

Thanks, Shimaze

The AWD trans:

Post subject: Re: M16, M18, G16, J18, AWD transmissions …which is the best one
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:32 pm 

Hi,
To start with you need a g16(1600 sedan) or j18 (baleno)bellhousing or complete gearbox.
These bellhousings can be easily adapted to mate up to the g13b engine.
The g16 /j18 gearset can be used as is but it has a 3.5 cwp which is too tall for most applications.
The m16 (swift sport) box has the closest gear ratios of any of the large frame boxes and comes with a 4.4 cwp, so a good combination is to use the m16 box internals and fit the g16 bellhousing, only problem with this is the m16 boxes are pretty expensive (around $1000 secondhand)
A cheaper option is to fit a 4.1 cwp from a m15 gearbox into the g16 box.
If you can find a J18 gearbox this has the correct input shaft(which has 1st and 2nd gear built into it)so that you can then fit the m15 gearset into the j18 box(the m series boxes have double syncro rings on 1st and 2nd gears and are much smoother in there operation.
M18 gearset is able to be fitted to g16 box but has wider spaced ratios and a 3.9 cwp.
Basically the m15 boxes are cheap to buy but you cannot fit the m15 input shaft into a g16 bellhousing.
Any of the other mseries boxes are more expensive but better suited.
G16 boxes are pretty cheap but becoming rarer to find.
J18 boxes are even harder to find,although in the states they may be the same in a esteem??.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:15 pm 

Thank you for the reply!

My biggest problem & sense of urgency is that I am about to pull the trigger on the AWD box in the pic at a cost of $825 US dollars...

I am not sure if I am making the right choice? I always thought the only solution was the AWD box, but now I found out that non-AWD large frame boxes (as in FWD) are another solution. I am going at this blindly, and I know that is bad! I have never seen anything other than the standard issue small frame transmission. No one in the United States does large frame transmission conversions. In fact, I have the only Swift GT I have ever seen in person!

Moving on… What are the differences between using the AWD box and a G16 box? (ie. Weight, ease of installation, durability, LSD Diff availability, rebuild kit, etc.) I know the AWD must be converted to FWD, but what about the Diff? I am having trouble locating a LSD Diff because apparently there is a difference between the FWD & the AWD trans? Is this true?

My biggest question: Should I go ahead and lay out the cash for the AWD trans, or should I wait to find a G16 or a J18 trans?

Thanks, Shimaze

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:29 pm 

I think I may have found a J18 box? It came out of a 2004 Suzuki AERIO. Will this work? Look at the pics…

What is the difference between the G16 & J18 transmissions?

Thanks, Shimaze

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:04 am 

I would stay away from the awd box as the parts are so hard to find,the lsd in particular(yes its different to all the other large frame lsds)
The aerio box pictured looks to have a different type bellhousing ,but mearsure the distance between the top two bellhousing bolts and compare with a g13b block(or std box).
The good thing about using a g16/m16 box is that the lsd is available from several manufacturers and parts are available either from suzuki or from wreckers as the m16 is still current specs.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:47 am 

Dmwdave and others in the know:

Will any of the boxes mentioned in this thread bolt directly and work on the '92 Swift Sedan 1.6L as mentioned in the OP's note?
(aside form the G16 gearbox of course).

I have never seen a 1.6L sedan with an original manual gearbox and I've been looking for both info and a box itself, to replace the auto-transmission in my GLX.

" What is the difference between the G16 & J18 transmissions? " Shimaze wrote:

Sure wish someone would answer this.

" J18 boxes are even harder to find,although in the states they may be the same in a esteem??." (Dmwdave's question).

Are they?

Regards.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:50 pm 

Suzuki Aerio, 2.0L and 2.3L had a variant of the fwd (large frame gearset) box similar to the J18 box found in Baleno models here, so if you're hunting in the USA, that would be your easiest find