It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:49 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Re: Guide to:a proper G16B conversion with pics
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:43 pm 

bernie1944b wrote:
Due to a seizure of the camshaft on my swift 1.6 GA I was left searching for a replacement head. A lack of funds made the task difficult until i found a gti head c/w fuel injection system wiring loom and ecu at a bargain price. Having reassembled the engine using a Honda cshaft drive belt a thicker head gasket and a small belt tensioner from a GTi all appeared to be going well. I pluged in the wiring loom (could not find oil pressure sensor lead but bought a pressure gauge and connected that) however none of the normal warning lights appeared on the dash display and there was no spark at the plugs. Strangely too the power mirrors do not work either.
As you may guess I am an absolute beginner in this type of convertion should I have changed the coil too? Does anyone know the compatability of the wiring harnesswith the existing wiring in thecar? any help would be appreciated.

Why a thicker head gasket? I'm using a suzukisports 0.8mm head gasket along with a milled head and it works fine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:52 am 

he can also look for the three wires that ground the sensors around the engine. thay are grounded on the side of the intake manifold. If these wires are not grounded the ecu will show the check engine light

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:23 am 

Just to say, I had a samurai and the aftermarket made a adapter plate to mount the G16 motors to the samurai's G13 tranny. Its basically a plate that you bolt to the tranny with countersunk bolts and then the G16 motor bolts to the plate......The samurai tranny and swift tranny bell housing are the same as they both use G13 motors

As you can see here. It has the plate bolted to the gbox with countersunk bolts so they would fit flush with the tranny adapter plate so it wouldn't interfere with the engine.. Then it has two bolt holes outside those countersunk bolts for the G16's lower bolts...The lower bolt is sent from the gbox end and requires a half head bolt as a full headed bolt would interefere with the gbox housing.

All mounting hardware is included in the kit...The adapter plate, the studs for the two upper mounting holes, the countersunk bolts for securing the plate to the gbox and the half headed bolts for the securing engine to adapter plate. Depends on who you buy it from, you'll get unwanted engine mount bracets for the conversion into the samurai.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:36 pm 

DeTune wrote:
Just to say, I had a samurai and the aftermarket made a adapter plate to mount the G16 motors to the samurai's G13 tranny. Its basically a plate that you bolt to the tranny with countersunk bolts and then the G16 motor bolts to the plate......The samurai tranny and swift tranny bell housing are the same as they both use G13 motors

As you can see here. It has the plate bolted to the gbox with countersunk bolts so they would fit flush with the tranny adapter plate so it wouldn't interfere with the engine.. Then it has two bolt holes outside those countersunk bolts for the G16's lower bolts...The lower bolt is sent from the gbox end and requires a half head bolt as a full headed bolt would interefere with the gbox housing.

All mounting hardware is included in the kit...The adapter plate, the studs for the two upper mounting holes, the countersunk bolts for securing the plate to the gbox and the half headed bolts for the securing engine to adapter plate. Depends on who you buy it from, you'll get unwanted engine mount bracets for the conversion into the samurai.

What about the gearbox input shaft length to the clutch and spiggot bearing, wouldnt it be too short?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:32 am 

I too had this same question about the plate, and spacing the transmission and engine farther apart...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:09 am 

My Sierra has the same adaptor plate. I'm using a longer throw out bearing, everything else is fine lengthwise.
Can't see why it wouldn't be the same case for this conversion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:50 am 

Pauly wrote:
My Sierra has the same adaptor plate. I'm using a longer throw out bearing,

Where did you source that?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:45 pm 

I measured the height required and got it from my clutch supplier.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:40 am 

Hi mates,

did anybody used d16 pm7 type pistons for this conversion? Is it a direct fit or should the deck be lowered? What about the conrods what do you suggest? I started to get things together for this conversion so i would appriciate any informations.

BR, Luka

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:57 pm 

Suitable cambelt for this conversion is for a Honda CRV
125 tooth of the correct tooth profile, belt width 24mm
Use gti tensioner, with slight alterations to tensioner (or remake tensioner plate)
Just updating this as I've found a few sources of conflicting info, and in my case this belt was the best solution.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:42 pm 

Another option, if you wish to stick with gti small frame box instead of large frame conversion, use baleno 1.6 bellhousing halfcase, then you can retain 1.3 clutch etc, rod shifter etc and no welding of bellhousing area.
Intermediate carrier bearing and rear engine mount, don't know
Perhaps baleno 1.6 intermediate shaft and adapt rear bracket to suit block

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:12 am 

if anyone wants to convert a g series to north south traditional RWD like some puerto ricans and yanks have you can use the W series toyota boxes with the RingR adaptor.

The usual box is a W series hilux like a W58, 57 or some of the new ones W59 but supra first gear which is about 80aud from toyota direct parts suppliers.

This has been also common in off road buggies running the G and some sierras jimnys etc.

g13bb jimny or G13a rwd sierra bellhousing can be used instead of g16b

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/ringr-su ... apter.html
http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content?topic=119523.0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:41 am 

hmm interesting.. The W Series boxes will be quite a bit heavier than the Sierra gearbox though wouldnt they?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:19 pm 

Bionic wrote:
hmm interesting.. The W Series boxes will be quite a bit heavier than the Sierra gearbox though wouldnt they?

lighter than the vitara, wouldnt bother with sierra they break faster than politician promises
around 35kg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:34 pm 

hmmm interesting.I havent heard of any of the clubman guys around the world breaking them on the track. Might have a look at this when I get upto that stage with my Locost\Lotus7 project... Also these gearboxes would have a better ratio 1st gear instead of the useless 1st gear in the sierra box (for circuit racing in a small light car)