It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:07 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Mild or wild
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:45 pm 

Hi All,

I'm just about to strip the engine out of the little GTi at my place and aside from blowing a little smoke on start and using a bit of oil (all in the rocker cover I think) and an annoying problem with the engine stalling when warm I'm after recommendations on what I can do while I have it apart. I don't want to spend more that $1k on parts and want to make it go as far as possible, port and polish? Rings? New pistons?

Throw some ideas at me and suppliers if you know any.

I'm also need to get the paint cleaned up as the clear is gone on the roof and there are bits to touch up here and there. So if you know anyone in the West/North of Melbourne let me know.

Post subject: Re: Mild or wild
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:27 pm 

all depends on what you want out of the little GTi engine, do you want to have a high compression engine or are you looking at strapping a turbo on it later? what ever you do think about what you would want to do in the future as you dont want to be spending money twice if you know what i mean :)

Suzuki, The New Way Of Life

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:34 pm 

I know what you mean, I want it to look as stock as possible in the engine bay so turbo is out of the question. I already have the oversized throttle body and need to workout a nicer piping arrangement than the current stretched while maintaining the stock look.

High comp is an option, but with a limited starting budget where will I get the best future proofing?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:43 pm 

A full rebuild with a budget of 1k will barely give you enough change for extractors and an ECU chip. I'd leave the motor internals stock and spend the cash on handling mods. Bang for buck that will give the most enjoyment.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:57 am 

Chip and handling were done last time, already has extractors and exhaust, I'm just looking for the best place to put the next 1k as I haven't really done anything to the engine yet.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:40 am 

If you have done the chip and basic bolt ons the next stage is decent cams in my book, i would be looking at a set of bd10spec cams with quality (not ebay spec) adjustable cam gears and have them dialled in. If you get them new you will blow more than your $1000 doing this but that is usually the next stage.

If you jump on the tech FAQ section there is a thread all about the "first level" mods to do to a gti :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:02 am 

if your block is in good shape (little to no lip on the bores and still fairly rounded) then $1k should pull it up nicely, but all will have to be checked once you crack the head..... probably best to save a little more just for unforeseen expences

but at minimum you will need a full engine gasket and seal kit, new rings, bearing and pistons, and a cylinder hone (again providing everything is ok on the inside)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:39 am 

Tassie_mk1 wrote:
If you have done the chip and basic bolt ons the next stage is decent cams in my book, i would be looking at a set of bd10spec cams with quality (not ebay spec) adjustable cam gears and have them dialled in. If you get them new you will blow more than your $1000 doing this but that is usually the next stage.

If you jump on the tech FAQ section there is a thread all about the "first level" mods to do to a gti :)

Thanks for the first level in the tech FAQ, I think Cams may be a bit early since I haven't even looked inside the engine, but the will be on the next round I think.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:41 am 

holden_swift wrote:
if your block is in good shape (little to no lip on the bores and still fairly rounded) then $1k should pull it up nicely, but all will have to be checked once you crack the head..... probably best to save a little more just for unforeseen expences

but at minimum you will need a full engine gasket and seal kit, new rings, bearing and pistons, and a cylinder hone (again providing everything is ok on the inside)

This is pretty much where I thought I'd be heading, dumb question, but if it's the first hone do I need to look for larger pistons or is that something you can only tell when you've opened the top end? Got a recommendation on pistons and Aussie suppliers for gasket sets?

Pete

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:36 pm 

no, a hone is different to a rebore, rebore you will need to sorce a new set of pistons, a hone normally you can use your old pistons again provided the they are in good shape.......... the reason i say to use new pistons is to you can upgrade them to a forged set along with a new set of rings, as for recommendations for parts rings gaskets and bearings i have never had a problem with ACL stuff, pistons i am not to sure on you would have to do some research on that

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:51 pm 

Have a set of cultus Pistons here for sale

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:22 pm 

No need to waste money on forged pistons in a NA set up. A set of Honda pistons with rings can be had for around the 400 mark. This will net a nice little gain in compression which will help with a rise engine power out put.

IPRA MK3 Gti ~ Mallala 19/11/11 1:23.5915
Sponsored by
Autosport ~ Velo Seats ~ Morpowa Dyno Centre ~ Diamond Concrete Finishers & Polishers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:02 am 

moylee19 wrote:
No need to waste money on forged pistons in a NA set up. A set of Honda pistons with rings can be had for around the 400 mark. This will net a nice little gain in compression which will help with a rise engine power out put.

Is that the P29 piston? How expensive is the machining required?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:46 pm 

Cultus pistons ordered, also ordered the etched G13B cold start blanking plates from Online Auto Supplies to help with a surging issue I'm having. Looking to get the gaskets through them also.

I've also read that you should replace the head bolts every time you remove them and am planning on getting a set unless you can convince me otherwise?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:22 pm 

Just a quick update, the cold start plate fixed the hunting issues and a new alloy radiator looks oh so pretty. Added some blue kill-rust paint to the radiator shroud to protect it.

I found a rather embarrassing hole in the muffler so it's off the the zaust place on Wednesday for a new one, I've also ordered an o2 sensor as the current one is falling apart.

The complete VRS is almost ready to be ordered with a new set of head bolts so the engine rebuild will start in a few weeks.

I also dug a proper GTI gearbox from the back of the garage, been using a Swift one for years, just need to pull it apart to check it's ok. If not off the the re-conditioners it'll go.

All in all it's running better than it has for years and I hope to keep bringing it back to better than original condition by the end of this year. Paint will need to be done plus change the dash as the previous owner had put holes in it for his monster tacho.

Attachments:
CC 373.JPG
CC 373.JPG [ 1.81 MiB | Viewed 120 times ]
CC 337.JPG
CC 337.JPG [ 1.53 MiB | Viewed 123 times ]
CC 336.JPG
CC 336.JPG [ 2.37 MiB | Viewed 112 times ]