It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:02 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Suggestions for mk1 mods
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:34 pm 

Gday guys ive got a mk1 gti and i want to do some mods to it nothing super big considering its my daily i have some ideas in mind like stiffer suspension sway bar and maybe upgrade my rear brakes. But i want to get more power out of it while keeping it n/a do you guys have any recommendations of what. Cheers

Post subject: Re: Suggestions for mk1 mods
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:10 pm 

Hi mate, welcome to the forum :) the search function is your best friend for most questions but as you're new I'll throw you a bone :wink:

Here is a link to the thread I started back in the day that covers these things off well :)

http://www.redlinegti.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19682&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Keep us posted of you build as we are all mk1 fans and they are getting pretty rare these days!

Post subject: Re: Suggestions for mk1 mods
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:16 am 

Hi Slodgie,

Welcome to the Forum! Plenty of information on here to satisfy your every query about the Mk1. I have one myself and am currently doing the same thing as you.

I have recently purchased all the suspension bushes required to do my entire suspension setup from a member on here 1600GTI (Craig), check out the Suzuki Performance Racing Facebook page too, it's his business and a good fella.

All the information you require can be found in the Technical Section as many of the modifications you wish to do have been done many times before.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6993

Brake upgrade- best way is to source some 2nd hand Z31 series brakes and calipers and fit those. Again there is a whole thread dedicated to this.
http://redlinegti.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=52919

or of you are really serious/handy
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=32739

Power - a few options depending on $, I have some replacement cams myself (yet to fit), breathing mods, exhaust mods, fuel system clean, bigger Throttle Body, etc
Then you need to start getting a bit more serious with an Aftermarket ECU etc if you want more power as there is nothing you can do with the original one.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45271

I'd consider doing all the suspension and handling work first as it will give you the best feel of the car, it will feel more fun to drive without needing to improve the power.
Do this! vtn.259812.htm#259812

As with any 30 year old car, it will be little changes over time that make it better. eg making sure the timing is spot on, new plugs, leads, distributor cap (mine was rooted!), cam tensioner, idler pulley, engine mounts, brake fluid flush, brake pads, coil, engine and gearbox oil,

Happy to chat about Mk1 stuff anytime, Tassie will be too :)