It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:39 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Member Search Facility
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:04 pm 

If I want to search for a particular Member at present I enter the first letter and am presented with hundreds, perhaps thousands of IDs to troll through. Would it not be better to be able to put in a second and third letter to narrow the search even more? Also to allow bulk addressing to say all SEQ members calling for a cruise it maybe easier to segregate into states and be able to search that way. Perhaps we could even get some of them back into the fold. Your feedback is appreciated. If this has been suggested previously then dont disregard it as it just reinforces the need for it.

Post subject: Re: Member Search Facility
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:28 pm 

Certainly not an unreasonable request, although I've done a quick search and haven't found a phpbb mod that would add the function. Bzchi might be able to add some code that takes care of it, but I'll let him respond.

Given what you're suggesting it could be used for I do have a couple of alternative suggestions, but I'll get back to you on those when I have a bit of time to respond. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:25 pm 

pictureshowman wrote:
If I want to search for a particular Member at present I enter the first letter and am presented with hundreds, perhaps thousands of IDs to troll through. Would it not be better to be able to put in a second and third letter to narrow the search even more? Also to allow bulk addressing to say all SEQ members calling for a cruise it maybe easier to segregate into states and be able to search that way. Perhaps we could even get some of them back into the fold. Your feedback is appreciated. If this has been suggested previously then dont disregard it as it just reinforces the need for it.

Where are you doing this search for members? in the PM search?

I don't understand why you can't put in 2 letters for the search with a wildcard? eg. bz*
Not sure I follow where the issue is? Are you referring to an ajax style search ie. results as you type? Why are you finding you have to regularly search for usernames? (I only ever PM people from the link in the message thread, but can understand people use the site differently).

Bulk addressing will lead to spam. I used to run a user directory on this site for all members broken up by state. If someone has access to messaging all people in a specific state, it will definitely open the door for spammers etc. to message a large number of people with very little effort.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:07 pm 

The request refers to the memberlist:
memberlist.php

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:09 pm 

[YLD80Y] wrote:
The request refers to the memberlist:
memberlist.php

If you click 'Find a Member' at the top right of that page you can put in letters with a wildcard to search / filter the list.
memberlist.php?mode=searchuser

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:42 pm 

Fair point. As for searching by state, I don't see that working particularly well because the 'location' field is free text. If the forum had been set up with a dropdown then that would have solved the problem, but we're about 9 years too late to implement that. :lol:

I'll keep thinking about other options. :)