It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:10 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Downtime (don't worry.. it was planned)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:58 pm 

Just letting everyone know that the downtime tonight that started at ~10:00pm and went on a little longer than I expected (+15 mins) was to upgrade the server resources. Some people may have noticed database writes (when you are posting messages) have been slowing down, and the performance info was slowly getting to the point where it was noticeable.. and to some.. annoying.

The upgrade has essentially added more RAM (for database caching on reads mainly) and additional disk IO allowance so more writes to the disk can occur so there will be less time 'bound up' waiting for writes to finish (hopefully).

It will likely go slow for the first few hours as the database and forum template cache builds up again, but after that you should see an increase in speed on both display and posting to the forum.

Sorry for the length of the outage, but I decided I wouldn't stay up until 1am to do it and wanted to get it over and done with.

So why the upgrade? amazingly.. more and more people are still visiting this site.. and there are still steady increases in numbers. Additional to that it seems every second IT startup at the moment has written a 'crawler' or indexing bot to crawl the site for whatever reason (usually search engine entries). I have slowed these down and had to weed a few out, but the legitimate crawlers have increased to the point where I would prefer to let them continue crawling rather than restrict them for speed improvement.

So that's about it, if you have any (new.. and forum related) problems let me know.

Post subject: Re: Downtime (don't worry.. it was planned)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:02 pm 

has this upgrade cost anything?..... if so i think we should get the donations going again to keep this awesome site running not from the moderators pockets but from other members.

Bewitched Performance Crew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:19 pm 

ghostG13B wrote:
has this upgrade cost anything?..... if so i think we should get the donations going again to keep this awesome site running not from the moderators pockets but from other members.

+1 and if u need future upgrades i can offer some money and get the parts wholesale for you if need be :-)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:25 pm 

It basically upped the monthly cost by about $10-15 on how much Redline uses on the server (don't forget Teamswift is on here too).

It's not a major drama, would prefer to have it running quickly than having people turn away because of frustrations with speed.

I will likely be stopping the use of the gallery and asking everyone to use attachments in future. The gallery will remain there for legacy reasons (images linked to it from the forum), but it is causing problems with upgrade and scaling as it's not handling the larger number of images well.

In comparison, there are now about 11,000 attachments in the forum itself now and it has no problems at all.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:21 am 

So just to confirm, are you saying that uploading of images into your post (like this, for example search.php?search_id=egosearch) is the way we should do it? Or should we try to avoid that?

Also where would I donate to redline if I wanted to?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:32 am 

Quazimoto wrote:
Also where would I donate to redline if I wanted to?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27178

not sure if this paypal is still active just check with bzchi but pretty sure it is.

Bewitched Performance Crew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:53 am 

Is Teamswift a seperate site to Redline, or is it incorporated?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:16 am 

The preferred method is definitely using the 'Upload attachment' at the bottom of your post when posting (like you have linked to Quazimoto), rather than using the personal gallery under the 'Gallery' link up the top. Most people end up linking the images into their posts anyway, so it also saves that step.

I believe the attachment limit is about 20 per post, if there are any problems with size restrictions let me know.

I also own Teamswift and it's hosted on the same infrastructure, I wouldn't say it's incorporated but when the previous owner was looking for someone to maintain it because he was moving on to other things I took up the offer because I wanted to ensure it would stick around because of massive wealth of technical knowledge on there.
Teamswift is definitely catered for the American/Canadian market and I believe it would have more international users too.. but Redline is slowly gaining in that department.

As America hasn't yet got the 'New Swift', the Teamswift forum is completely dedicated to the MK1/2/3 models as well as the American MK4/5 and Geo Metro, Chevrolet Sprint etc.

When talking about hosting costs I am careful to split Redline off from Teamswift, and it is based off the proportion that Redline uses (a fair bit more), not the total cost to cover both.

Donations are welcome, Paypal still works and if you want some number plate frames checkout the sticky in the For Sale section :lol: I am still tripping over the box full of them!.. currently short on stickers though, hopefully going to fix that soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:14 pm 

Small bump, added some more RAM to increase database cache to improve the forum speed. Site was down for a few minutes last night.. no complaints? guess I was lucky :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:48 am 

Small bump.

Forum was down again for about 15 minutes last night for a RAM upgrade, switch to SSD and link speed upgrade to 500 Mbps :D

Should be a little quicker now (especially when posting).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:08 am 

You're a perfectionist. Redline already loads 10x quicker than any other forum I visit and due to uploading images directly into posts, has almost no broken links.

Keep up the good work :wink:

Is that paypal link above still current?

Last edited by -Harry- on Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:48 pm 

-Harry- wrote:
Your'e a perfectionist. Redline already loads 10x quicker than any other forum I visit and due to uploading images directly into posts, has almost no broken links.

Keep up the good work :wink:

Is that paypal link above still current?

Yep, still current. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:57 pm 

I agree, this is the fastest forum Ive used and everything works flawlessly all the time.

Keep it up :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:05 pm 

So there was some more planned down time.. and what's changed? :roll:

In a word.. nothing.

Spent about 10 hours doing prep then 6+ hours migrating the forum to another forum product and I just wasn't happy with the result.

Essentially:
- The forum _felt_ slower
- Couldn't be configured to provide thumbnails using sane sizes (could only generate squares)
- Stripped all inline attachments in the migration so they were all tacked onto the end of posts which left them completely out of context
- URL SEO was randomly breaking URLs
- Few other out of the box issues that were painful to track down and resolve

For me the archival content is the value this site provides to users, and being able to access content (some of which is 12+ years old) is the most critical feature of this forum to me now. In short.. I wasn't willing to give this up for the bells and whistles that the new forum software provided (although they were nice!)

No doubt I will revisit the forum software at some stage in the future to see if the issues have been resolved.. but until then.. you're stuck with this for a bit longer ;)

Think of the site like a GTi.. getting old.. but quick enough to keep you entertained ;)

-edit-
Apologies to anyone that needed to access the site.. I had a window of time free and wanted to get the migration done.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:07 pm 

all good. I'm in perfect agreement and share your sentiment.