It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:16 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: F8B/G10 swap?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:21 am 

I'm sure this is covered, but I'm not 100% sure...hopefully you guys can grant me some leniency here on the subject.

I have a Roketa GK-34 and am looking at possibly swapping the 800cc engine out for a 1.0 I've come across in a wadded up '93 Metro LSi...but I'm curious about the differences in the motors.

I'm told that the engine in my Roketa is a Suzuki F8B engine. If I understand things correctly, the 1.0 in the Metro is a Suzuki G10 engine. Is this correct?

Now here's the big thing for me: How similar, physically, assuming my previous assumption is correct, are the F8B and G10 engines (also including the manual transmissions)? While I'm not really looking for a perfect, plug and play setup, At least sharing similar physical dimensions and motor mount locations will ease my project, and that's the only thing enticing me here. If I have to completely redesign the engine area, then a 20hp gain isn't worth it and I'll be looking 100hp+ engines.

I'm told this swap is really common in other parts of our round world, but it's not too common in the United States since nothing here came with the F8B as best as I can tell...and a lot of the discussion I see online is covereing swapping out F8B engines. I don't know if they're the same...ish...

Post subject: Re: F8B/G10 swap?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:08 am 

I'm not sure on the "will it fit" question but I'm pretty confident the G10 won't get anywhere near 100hp at the crank out of it as the G13B stock barely makes 100hp. I think your best bet is work out what you want the engine to do i.e. 100hp+ or whatever you are after and then find the engine that will work best for the goal. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:26 am 

What he was saying was if he had to do major modification to get it installed then he would rather go for a higher HP gain motor.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:13 am 

Yeah that. If I have to redesign the e ngine area to fit the g10 then I',m going to hold out for a b16 or soemthing. The appeal of the G10 is that it's CHEAP and may be an easy fit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:58 pm 

The short answer is that the only similarity is that both motors have 3 cylinders. The G10A motor and box are both physically larger than the F8B, which could cause issues depending on how tightly packaged the existing setup is. If you've got plenty of room to play with then the install won't cause you much grief. Just some custom fabricated engine mounts and driveshafts really.

Personally I would turbocharge the F8B. I've done it and the results are great. Around double the HP and torque. Although that comes at a cost which won't meet your goal of cheap power. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:34 pm 

Yeah between the technical drawings I was pointed to on the metro forum and the pictures of my own buggy, the mounts are different. It looks like, maybe, the front engine mount will work, but the rest are "elsewhere". However, that one mount should hold the engine square, which is enough for me to build the rest.

The 15 hp/ftlb gain would justify the effort, I think, when the car itself will actually come essentially for free.

Boosting the F8 has crossed my mind. $1000 could see the whole setup under pressure...BUT one of the PO's plugged the PCV for an undetermined amount of time and now the thing smokes and leaks oil from "everywhere". It will have to come out and be re-sealed and have some other work done to be at that point.

http://imgur.com/a/TgK3e my mounts

http://imgur.com/277Sqsa G10 technical drawing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:00 pm 

Going off your photos it looks like the gearbox side will be a very tight fit around the frame, so you might end up needing to modify some metal there. The rest of the mounts shouldn't cause you too many headaches though.

Have you thought about sticking a G10AT from a Pontiac Fireflly in there? EFI and boost is hard to pass up!